2004 Lexus RX 330 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Lexus RX 330:

2004 Lexus RX 330 Owner Comments

Jul 012013

RX 330

I have a severely cracked dashboard and a lot of the very deep cracks are over where the passenger airbag is located. This has been a problem for a few years now but lately it has gotten much worse in the area of the airbag. Lexus acknowleges the problem but they say it could be several more months or even years before they have enough replacement dashboards. I believe my dashboard is more of a safety issue than just cosmetic. Unable to attach photos but could email them to you if an email address is provided.

- Davie, FL, USA

Jan 012014

RX 330

My dashboard has been recalled and mine is split and keeps getting larger especially where the passenger airbag is located. Lexus told me in July 2015 that the "dashboards will be released at the end of this month." That did not happen. The response that I received as to whether my airbags were takata, Lexus responded, "unfortunately we do not have data on the manufacturer....but can assure you that...the airbags...are not under any recall at this time." I am suppose to feel good driving my car with that statement" they have always known every part in my car by VIN #. I am also driving around with the headlights' excessive moisture after they finally could replace those. Alluding me that I would be able to get the dashboard fixed at the end of July, I held off get that repaired until I could do all three. Now, I believe that the headlights' repair will be at my expense. When is going to enforce the recalls? I & many others are driving death vehicles!!! are my children going to have to sue both you & Lexus for neglect? I, & numerous others, thought that we were paying you to protect us. When are you going to protect us instead of just recording our issues"

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 072015

RX 330 6-cyl

I was driving into a parking structure and was startled by something inside the car falling. I lost control of the vehicle and ran head-on into a concrete pole. The airbags did not deploy. The car was deemed a total loss and, in an accident of that type, it was scary that the airbags did not deploy.

- Newport Beach, CA, USA

Nov 012013

RX 330 6-cyl

Unknown date and time. Vehicle made alarm noise, turned vehicle off. Safety bag light came on and dashboard cracked; radio stopped working.

- Tomball, TX, USA

Sep 012014

RX 330 6-cyl

I own a 2004 Lexus rx 330. As has been widely reported on the internet, the dashboard in these cars has a tendency to crack and peal, particularly around the area above the passenger airbag. At the outset this appears to be a cosmetic issue. However, when I recently went to an auto upholstery shop to inquire about repair, the technician became alarmed because I -- like presumably many others -- had sought to initiate a temporary repair by placing heavy-duty duct tape over the cracked area. The technician advised me to immediately remove the duct tape because of his concern that it would interfere with the deployment of the airbag. Thus, in this instance, while the actual problem may only be cosmetic, the tendency of consumers to seek to temporarily repair the issue particularly given the prohibitive cost of dashboard replacement as a proper repair?? creates a situation of grave concern for passenger safety. I had driven the car thousands of miles with the duct tape covering the airbag without a thought to the risk I was taking.

- Annapolis , MD, USA

May 302013

RX 330

The passenger side of the dashboard has developed several long vertical cracks. The dash simply cracked on its own. The car has always been garaged and has never been in any accident the cracks are large enough that we are afraid that the airbags may not properly deploy in an emergency. The dashboard cracks are identical to many similar postings on the internet. Lexus claims they are "dedicated to providing vehicles of outstanding quality and value.", in this case they have, once again, stuck their head in the sand!!

- Santa Fe, NM, USA

Jun 152010

RX 330 6-cyl

Passenger side airbag is compromised due to the dash cracking apart. The car is in excellent condition and has been garage kept, so heat is not the issue with the dash. The dash problem is a manufacturer defect.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Sep 272012

RX 330 6-cyl

The dashboard is cracking around the passenger side airbag. The airbag was designed with a certain amount of resistance from the dashboard. Major concern with airbag deployment speed with less resistance from dashboard. Also concern about fragmentation of dashboard during deployment.

- Greensboro, NC, USA

May 012012

RX 330 6-cyl

The dashboard leather material has cracked income apart on top of where the passenger airbag sits.

- Breaux Bridge, LA, USA

Jan 082010

RX 330 6-cyl

The vehicle dashboard has experienced abnormal cracking and decomposition throughout. It started with hairline cracks which spread all through the dash. Since the dash started to turn sticky/gummy, pieces of the dash started falling off near the ends (e.g. where the dash meets the glove compartment). Of concern is airbag deployment in case of an accident. For example, since the dash has been compromised and has cracks, would the airbag deployment cause the dash to splinter and shoot pieces at the car's occupants" would the stickiness of the dash cause the airbag deployment to fail since it can stick to the dash due to it's newly acquired adhesive properties" visibility concerns arise due to the reflections of the dash on the windshield. Since the dash can no longer be kept clean because everything sticks to it, bothersome reflections are cast on the windshield during certain lighting conditions. The local Lexus dealership and Lexus corporate was notified and they inspected the vehicle. They said the vehicle was no longer covered under warranty and since my vehicle had not been serviced at the dealership, they would not pay to replace the dash; they did offer a 25% discount for the cost of the parts. From my research, it appears faulty materials may have been used by Toyota/Lexus for a period of some years as there are many reports of this same condition happening to other owners. Since there are safety concerns involved, I believe Lexus should be responsible and replace the faulty dashboards.

- Miami, FL, USA

Feb 192014

RX 330 6-cyl

This is not an accident complaint. My car has a defect in the dash vinyl (cracks and 2 holes) that I fear could effect the airbag operation if it were to activate. I understand Lexus has recognized this is a common manufacturing defect of these models but classify it only as a cosmetic problem and only offer a replacement at the owners expense. Has there been any reports of airbag problems in these vehicles" any lawsuits"

- Pensacola, FL, USA

Jan 212014

RX 330

Car accident in which my Lexus was totaled air bags never deployed.

- Tustin, CA, USA

May 172013

RX 330 6-cyl

Front end collision in 2004 Lexus rx 330 with 206,000 miles going approximately 55 mph. Car is totaled per insurance adjuster. Driver and three children in car. No serious injuries. No airbags deployed. Have contacted Lexus and am awaiting answer. Car has been to dealership several times since purchased and nothing mentioned about airbag issue.

- Lilburn, GA, USA

Oct 242005

RX 330 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2004 Lexus RX330. The contact was backing out of a parking space at approximately 5 mph. There was a loud noise outside of the vehicle. The gear was shifted into drive and suddenly, the vehicle accelerated without warning. There were several attempts with extreme force applied to the brake pedal. The vehicle failed to reduce speed and crashed into a wall. The driver sustained intense pain to the ankle with other minor injuries. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealer and repaired for damages. The contact had concern of the safety risk involved. The failure mileage was 15,000. The consumer stated the air bag failed to deploy. Updated 05/11/10.

- Newtown, PA, USA

Oct 162009

RX 330

I have a Lexus rx 330 (2004) and it was recently involve in a high speed (55mph) collision to the drivers side of the vehicle and "none" of my front or side airbags deployed. This same vehicle was involved in a collision in 2007 to rear of the vehicle and again it was high speed in access of 40mph none of the air bags deployed! I have always taken my car to the dealership for maintenance and I have complained several times to my service advisor of many concerns and nothing is or has been resolved and appears to go to the waste side.

- Haltom City, TX, USA

Oct 152009

RX 330

Driving conservatively through a pharmacy parking lot; abruptly took a right hand turn into an available parking space ( habitually prefer a left-handed parking entry); engine roared, tires squealed and auto jumped over the concrete parking barrier/ over the curb/ and proceeded to strike near the door entrance and a support wall. Airbags did not deploy.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Oct 262005

RX 330 6-cyl

While driving the 2004 Lexus RX330 on the freeway, trying to avoid a car on my left lane that suddenly swerved to my driver side. To avoid being hit, I steered slightly to the right. However, due to the speed, the car went over to the right lane and when trying to turn the steering back to the left, the car skid and lost control. Skidded across two lanes to the right, hit a truck trailer, trailer over turned, my Lexus then got bounced back, rolled over across 5-6 lanes on the freeway, landed on the passenger side by the divider, driver was knocked out after impact when the SUV started rolling over. Got a concussion on the left side of the head. Car was totaled. My complained is that none of the air bags in the vehicle was deployed at all. Wrote a registered letter to the manager of the Lexus dealer where the car was purchased two years ago but never got a reply either. With such extensive damage and several impact during the accidents, if the air bags were deployed, the concussion could have been avoided plus the numerous cut from the flying glass when all the windows and windscreen were shattered.

- Brea, CA, USA

Aug 042005

RX 330 6-cyl

Passenger airbag remains (indicates off) when my spouse is in the passenger seat. Took to dealer and dealer has not fixed problem.

- East Moline, IL, USA

May 252005

RX 330 6-cyl

Consumer's vehicle was involved in a front end collision going approximately 40 mph. Upon impact, the air bags did not deploy. There was extensive damage to the vehicle. Contacted Lexus and Lexus stated that because the impact was high consumer struck tractor trailer in the rear, and there was no damage to the frame. The damage occurred higher than a typical impact being that the consumer struck a large vehicle. The vehicle is currently at a repair shop getting fixed.. seat belts were worn when this occurred.

- Apopka, FL, USA