2007 Lexus RX 350 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Lexus RX 350:

2007 Lexus RX 350 Owner Comments

Jul 152016

RX 350

The contact owned a 2007 Lexus RX350. While driving approximately 10 mph, the vehicle accelerated without warning. As a result, the contact crashed into the garage door and breeze room of a kitchen. Also, when shifted into reverse, the accelerator failed and caused the contact to crash into a tree. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was filed. The contact sustained a whiplash, but no medical attention was required. The vehicle was towed to a dealer, but was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was made awre of the failure. The failure mileage was 90,000.

- Southfield, CT, USA

May 162015

RX 350

When I drive at above 60 mph, there is a rattling sound. I took it to the dealership and they are unable to pinpoint the issue even after removing the roofrack, the roof insulation and tightening all the bolts. I have found numerous postings online but Lexus still refuses to let us know the issue. Please help! it is very concerning that a loose part might cause major accident or event death. see photo.

- Danville, CA, USA

Mar 012015

RX 350

The contact owns a 2007 Lexus RX350. While driving approximately 25 mph, the gear shift hesitated to switch into third and fourth gear without warning. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 185,000.

- Mathiston, MS, USA

Jul 312013

RX 350

Shortly after buying the vehicle used (one previous owner), upon cold start a loud rattling noise could be heard coming from the engine area for about 30 seconds. Took to a Toyota/Lexus dealership for routine oil change, vehicle inspection, and asked the technicians to also address the noise. We were told that they couldn't reproduce it, and that it shouldn't be a problem. Driving down the freeway in greater milwaukee, the car stopped functioning. After visiting a local mechanic, then later resorting to a Lexus dealership, found that the vvt bolts had fractured. All of this is exactly as outlined in NHTSA campaign 13V395000. Now we have a dead luxury SUV due to an engineering problem, but Lexus will not provide any resolution to their known problem, even with physical evidence (photos, and failed parts still in hand).

- Beaver Dam, WI, USA

Mar 052014

RX 350 6-cyl

Our vehicle has always been serviced at the local Lexus dealership and maintained in excellent condition. Without warning, on 3/5/14, as we were exiting the freeway, we smelled a slight burning odor. The oil light then flashed intermittently. We immediately took the vehicle to the Lexus dealership. We were informed there was only 1 quart out of 6 quarts of oil remaining. The rubber oil cooler lines had exploded, but we were assured there was no damage to the engine. The cost of repair was $400+. 1 week later, we heard a clicking sound from the engine. The dealership asked if we could make an appointment 5 days later. We insisted it be inspected that day. 3 days later we heard back that the engine had significant damage as a result of the rubber oil cooler lines exploding, and that it would cost $2,800 to diagnose, and between $3,800 to $5,800 to repair. We filed a claim with Lexus customer service due to the low miles on the vehicle, even though we were technically out of warranty. The dealership apparently told Lexus corporate that the vehicle would actually cost $12,000 to $14,000 to repair. The best Lexus corporate offered was reimbursement for the replacement of the rubber oil cooler lines. This is concerning for a number of reasons. Upon doing some research online, these particular oil lines made of steel and rubber have failed for dozens upon dozens of Lexus/Toyota customers. A very similarly designed rubber oil line for the vvt-I has already been quietly recalled by Lexus. Lexus no longer uses these materials for oil lines. We expected our vehicle to last well into 200,000 miles, but this was simply unacceptable. In the end, since we could not pay for the ridiculous repairs, we essentially were forced to trade it in for cash from the Lexus dealership. Please make Lexus/Toyota do a recall on these parts before someone is hurt or killed.

- Liberty Lake, WA, USA

Aug 232013

RX 350 6-cyl

Transmission started to slip on my Lexus rx 2007 AWD while accelerating from 20 mph. Engine revs but the car cannot speed up. Traffic backed up behind me. Fortunately, the incident happened close to our house. I could slowly reach home. I had it towed to the dealership where it was determined that the transmission need to be replaced. I always go to the same dealership for regular maintenance. I have all service records up to date. I had the automatic transmission flush done at 108,000 miles. Since then, I researched several online forums for similar issue pertaining to V6.

- Novi, MI, USA

May 022009

RX 350

I purchased my Lexus rx 350 Dec 2006. I have 35, 500 miles on my car. My car is used for personal usage. My transmission was recently replaced March 2009. Now I recently had engine failure one month after transmission failure. To make matters worse, I was informed that my transmission is leaking. This problem was discovered after engine failure and replacement transmission.

- Gardena, CA, USA