2.1

2007 Lexus RX 350 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Lexus RX 350:

2007 Lexus RX 350 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Oct 122016

RX 350

My RX350 2007 has only 35,000 miles and the power rack and pinion assembly has been changed once and now the dealer told me it is bad and need to change it only after 3 years after they changed it. No sound or leaks.

- Miami, FL, USA

May 172016

RX 350

I bring my Lexus for oil change and was told that the water pump was leaking and the rack and pin in the steer wheel is leak cost of total repair at Lexus would be $2650

- Dacula, GA, USA

Mar 302016

RX 350

Rear caliper blew while driving - almost lost brakes on highway - vehicle was unsafe to drive. Ignition coils failed (twice) while driving - lost power - almost got hit by a truck steering fluid leak - dealer says to get entire steering replaced or may lose steering while driving!! all this started at a mere 42,891 miles - and we narrowly averted possible accidents at high speed!

- Princeton, NJ, USA

Dec 082015

RX 350

2012 power steering rack failed. Leaking at the rubber seal boot on right side under vehicle. Used a rebuilt part to replace it. 2015 December, power steering fluid leaked out of fluid casing all over the ground. I pulled off of the toll rd because of the noise. Took it to Lexus and diagnosed power steering rack needs to be replaced again because rubber seal boot is leaking again. They have stopped using rebuilt and now use new kit to repair. They want me to pay for half the repair. There are thousands of complaints about this issue with Lexus and other Toyota vehicles which use the same part. If my car loses all the fluid before I get it repaired, especially if on the freeway there could be a fatal accident. Lexus has taken months to return my calls in order to get this repaired. I finally go a return call from customer service on May 4th. Will not get on the freeway until this is resolved.

- Dallas, TX, USA

Jan 022016

RX 350

My power steering fluid is leaking and I need to replace the rack and pinion. I only have 56,000 miles on the car. I'm seeing a lot of complaints about this and believe there is a defect. The problem was caught before I lost steering capability.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

May 262015

RX 350

Steering became difficult to steer vehicle. No injury or accident occurred, but I was surprised that this went out.

- Northridge, CA, USA

Feb 042015

RX 350

The contact owns a 2007 Lexus RX350. While driving at approximately 45 mph, the steering wheel was difficult to maneuver when making a right or left turn. The failure recurred several times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the power steering rack leaked and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 98,000.

- Mableton, GA, USA

Mar 112015

RX 350

The contact owns a 2007 Lexus RX350. The contact stated that the steering wheel vibrated without warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer who diagnosed that the rack and pinion needed to be replaced. The vehicle was to be repaired by the authorized dealer. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unavailable.

- Bardonia, NY, USA

Aug 092014

RX 350 6-cyl

I was driving on interstate 95 South when I lost the steering capability in my RX350 Lexus vehicle. Vehicle had to be towed for repair. Was told it was my A/C compressor that failed that caused my water pump to blowup which caused the serpentine belt to break= $2,308. Not sure I believe all this. When I relayed all this information to my Lexus dealer they had no comment. 6,000 miles later I had another major problem, oil leaking that my Lexus dealer said had to do with the engine. Lexus removed and resealed engine front cover assy and replaced gaskets $2665.56 also at this time Lexus replaced engine front oil cooler supply hose assy and gaskets at no charge saying it was under warranty.

- Parkland, FL, USA

May 072014

RX 350 6-cyl

Leaking fluid and unusual noise in steering components.I took the vehicle to the dealer and had to have steering rack and shaft replaced for a cost of $2,207. I asked service representative if this was covered by any type of extended warranty and he said no. I indicated I was a Toyota driver since 1970 and said that not only had this never happened to me on a vehicle before, I had never heard of this issue. He told me it was quite common!! as I had bought the vehicle used in naples, Florida, I looked up the repair history in the Lexus data base and imagine my surprise when I discovered these parts had also been replaced at 52,847 miles. I wrote to Lexus usa and got a call stating the standard line that the repair was beyond the 1 year warranty period etc. To Toyota motors and its Lexus division, I say that you have let a 40 year customer down big time. I never had any major problems with my Toyota and now this when I thought I had up scaled to Lexus. I have lost faith in the Toyota brand and I say "shame to you Lexus".

- Rothesay,New Brunswick Canada , ME, USA

Sep 122014

RX 350 6-cyl

The car completely halted while driving on a city road. The steering locked and the car completely stopped in the middle of the road. The manufacturer inspected the car. During inspection they found A/C compressor locked up causing vehicle to stall under load. Once the A/C system is activated, vehicle will stall out. They also confirmed that this could happen while the vehicle is in motion on a highway going 60 mph and if it did, it would stall the car and lock up the vehicle just like it did in the first incident. It seems completely unreadable to stall a vehicle in motion for some confirm/convenience feature like A/C. I feel this is a fundamental engineering problem with the way the car is designed. I would like to ensure this is declared as an issue with the design of Lexus vehicles and there is a trigger to disconnect ac under such circumstances where ac can stall a car in motion.

- Pleasanton, CA, USA

Sep 042014

RX 350 6-cyl

I visited the dealer for a regularly scheduled oil change and was told the steering assembly needed to be changed due to several leaks that were not recommended for individual repair. This comes four months after having the power steering fluid flush and maintenance. The vehicle has not been in an accident or experienced anything more than normal wear and tear. Upon researching the matter, I noticed thousands of other Lexus owners has had the same issue. My research was prompted by the more than $6,000 I have personally spent on making repairs to the two Lexus vehicles I own over a two year period, 70% of which ended up being recalls. I'm a more than fair and reasonable person. However, a luxury vehicle should not require 20% of its value in repairs every year.

- West Hartford, CT, USA

Aug 052014

RX 350 6-cyl

I own a 2007 Lexus RX350. I went in for am oi; change. The vehicle failed inspection. The mechanic said that the steering rack and pinion was leaking and that the seals needed to be replaced. There were no repairs completed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted and did not offer a remedy. The failure and current mileage was 80,000. Quoted $1500 to $1800 repair.

- Deerfield, IL, USA

Jul 242014

RX 350

The contact owns a 2007 Lexus RX350. The contact stated that after the vehicle was taken into the dealer for for repairs, the vehicle failed inspection. The dealership diagnosis on the vehicle was that steering rack and pinion was leaking and that the seals needed to be replaced. There were no repairs completed on the vehicle. The manufacturer was contacted and did not offer a remedy. The failure and current mileage was 80,000. The VIN was not provided.

- Brandenton, FL, USA

Jun 272014

RX 350 6-cyl

We took our RX350 in for a 60K mile service and was told the power steering rack was leaking and required replacement. Since the vehicle is no longer under warranty we had to pay full replacement value. We had no evidence of a leak in our garage and encountered no steering issues prior to the service appointment. This should not be considered normal vehicle wear and tear. Since this is a know issue, Lexus should do the right thing and compensate anyone who had to pay for this defective part including labor. Lexus is known for their dependability and this type of issue should not be passed on to the consumer. The total cost of the repair was approximately $1,200 which is much cheaper than many of the war stories published in-line..

- Gainesville, VA, USA

Oct 232013

RX 350 6-cyl

Power steering rack leaking. This is a problem with all Lexus rx models 2007 at least. This should be repaired under manufacturer warranty due to the number of reports for the same problem.

- Cheney, WA, USA

Jan 312013

RX 350

My 2007 RX350 was in for 50K maintenance service. I was informed of the power steering oil leaking. No dropping of oil was noticed on the parking floor at my home. Technician informed that the oil reservoir was almost empty. I was asked to replace the power steering rack. I was told by the Lexus technician that about 30% of rx-350 2006 seem to have this issue within 5 years of in service date and Toyota/ Lexus id not pay any concern for the safety of the owners. I cannot imagine that I am driving on the freeway at highway speeds running without oil in the power steering. Please review and advise all owners of this failure and ensure Lexus recalls and fix this issue for all owners.

- Matthews, NC, USA

Mar 112013

RX 350 6-cyl

My RX350 was in for 70K maintenance service. I was informed of the power steering oil leaking. No oil was noticed on the parking garage in our condo. The service technician said I should replace the power steering rack at a cost of $1800. He said the boot was starting to leak but at this point I said I would not replace but monitor. Still evaluating the power steering oil reserve and looking at other options for repair. $1800 is way too much to replace this and based on what others are saying this is happening too often on these vehicles.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jul 012013

RX 350 6-cyl

My RX350 was in for 60K maintenance service. I was informed of the power steering oil leaking. No dropping of oil was noticed on the parking floor at my home. Technician informed that the oil reservoir was almost empty. I had a platinum warranty that just expired and was asked to replace the power steering rack at my cost of $1800. I was told by the Lexus technician that about 30% of rx-350 2006 seem to have this issue within 5 years of in service date and Toyota/ Lexus id not pay any concern for the safety of the owners. I cannot imagine that I am driving on the freeway at highway speeds running without oil in the power steering. Please review and advise all owners of this failure and ensure Lexus recalls and fix this issue for all owners. This vehicle is now in zionsville of Indiana.

- Zionsville, IN, USA

Apr 012013

RX 350 6-cyl

Noticed issue with power steering while turning on my 2007 Lexus rx-350. Vehicle inspected by technician and was informed of the power steering failure, oil leak. No dropping of oil was noticed on the parking floor at my home. Technician informed that the oil reservoir was almost empty and the oil was collected in a boot under the steering rack. If the oil dripped on the floor, I could have noticed it and fix the issue much earlier. Luckily I was not driving on the freeway at highway speeds" running without oil in the power steering" based on my discussion with Lexus technician one in every three rx-350 2006 - 2008 seem to have this issue within 5 years of in service date and Toyota/ Lexus seem to pay no concern for the safety of the owners. Please review and advise all owners of this failure and ensure Lexus recalls and fix this issue for all owners. This vehicle is now in toronto / Canada.

- Toronto, NY, USA