2009 Lexus RX 350 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Lexus RX 350:

2009 Lexus RX 350 Owner Comments

Nov 242015

RX 350

I saw white smoke in my rear view mirror while driving on a street. No engine lights appeared. I had been driving on the freeway a few minutes earlier. I pulled over and called my Lexus dealer, who regularly does my maintenance. I had car towed to dealer, who said it was the vvti oil cooler hose and it would be covered under warranty. Next day, dealer tells me they replaced the vvti hose but it was still leaking. It was a different rubber oil hose and would not be covered under warranty. I am not happy. I see that this has been a problem with Toyota and Lexus so why didn't my dealership replace the vvti hose during a routine oil change and warn me about the rubber hose problem, so I could replace it with a metal one before it leaked. I hope there is no engine damage.

- Friendswood, TX, USA

Jun 222015

RX 350

Water pump failed on 2009 lexux RX350 at 61500 miles and just 4 months over the powertrain warrenty. Lexus declined the claim. Engine overheating caused head gasket failure and warped cylinder head. per local mechanic who replaced water pump, there were indication of coolant leaking from water pump seal and it must be leaking for quite long time, even when vehicle was under warranty. There was enough volume of coolant when this incident happened, indicates that leakage was very minor and my not appear on the floor where car was parked. 2.water pump is part of powertrain and has no direct influence of driving pattern. Failure of water pump at 61000 miles is very pre-mature and indicate toward inherent problem with water pump quality. issue: There were no signs of water pump failure until last moment when it actually gave up and check engine lights came up. There was very little time before check engine lights came on and further damage due to overheating. If it was ignored for couple of miles car would have caught into fire 4.powertrain warranty is 70000 miles or 72 months, whereas cars mileage is 61000 and time since first usage is 75 months (just 3 months over the warranty). Considering close proximity to warranty expiration, Lexus should consider this for warranty extension. 5.this engine series ( 3.5L ) is infamous for cooling system issues and several service bulletins have been issued regarding it. 6.several complains have been filed about the similar problem, where water pump failure and subsequent engine damage

- Bellingham, MA, USA

May 262015

RX 350

Water pump failed without any indication of failure. I was going on highway and all of sudden vsc light came up. After driving a mile engine light came up. Since next exit was 3 miles I drove through exist and pull car on safe parking lot. By the time I stopped vehicle, I saw smoke coming out of engine. I had to call aaa and get it towed to local mechanic for primary diagnostic before I towed it over to Lexus dealership 25 miles away. Called Lexus dealership but they refused to cover under Lexus power train warranty ( 72 months or 70000 miles ) just because warranty expired 3 months back even though mileage are still under the limit. Dealership asked me talk to Lexus customer service. I called Lexus customer service and explained the problem asking them to provide goodwill warranty coverage. Literally, the worst people I dealt with. They refused to take any accountability of issue and ask me to go and get it repaired. My bases for asking warranty coverage was due to 1. close to warranty expiration date ( just over 3 months and still under mileage 61,000) 2. fire hazard due to failure of coolant pump without any indication. 3. reputation of Lexus being reliable and dependable car updated 09/14/15

- Bellingham, MA, USA

Dec 012014

RX 350 6-cyl

T-sb-0201-11 from Toyota/Lexus states "some vehicles equipped with 2gr-fe/fxe towing package engines may exhibit an oil seep from the engine oil cooler pipes." This tsb affects Toyota and Lexus vehicles going back to at least 2008-present. This is a major issue, and I feel this should be handled as a recall instead of a tsb due to the severity of the issue if/when the pipe breaks. I recently elected to have my vehicle repaired on my own just so I wouldn't have to worry about this issue happening to me or my wife, and thus blowing up my Lexus rx 350's engine causing thousands of dollars in damages. Seems pretty bad that a recall can be issued for floor mats and accelerator issues, but no recall is issued for this issue which can drain the oil from your engine in a minute, blow up your engine, and then possibly wreck your vehicle. Consumer's engines are now being destroyed, and this is showing up in different online forums. I feel that the NHTSA needs to force Toyota/Lexus to replace all of the defective engine oil cooler pipes with the newer metal ones that the tsb addresses. They should also be forced to reimburse all costs to those individuals that either needed to have the repair done, or decided to have the repair done as preventative maintenance on their own before those pipes burst on their own.

- Oak Forest, IL, USA

Oct 202014

RX 350 6-cyl

Vehicle started leaking oil and within 50 yards lost all engine oil. Toyota dealership found oil cooler pipe had leaked and they had to replace the oil cooler assembly - parts numbers - 15767-31020, 11496-31010, 15785-31010.

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Dec 022013

RX 350 6-cyl

While driving in the very busy freeway, the car suddenly stopped without any prior warning or any signal. Upon Lexus dealer inspection, the cause was, bolts used to secure the variable valve timing control device can become loose, one of the bolts came out and caused the timing chain to break and it broke the engine head, causing the vehicle to stop while being driven. Lexus has not recalled the rx 350 models, however on September 3, 2013 Lexus has recalled is 350, is 350C and gs 350 vehicles for the exact same reason. My car has always been serviced at Lexus dealer. According to Lexus service department, there was no way for me to prevent this or to know. The sudden stop of the vehicle in the freeway as the result of this engine failure could have caused a major accident which was very life threatening. These engines has to be recalled for inspection and repair by Lexus. Lexus did not accept the fault even though they accepted to pay partial part of the cost of the rebuilding the engine as a courtesy.

- Encino, CA, USA