2010 Lexus RX 350 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Lexus RX 350:

2010 Lexus RX 350 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 182016

RX 350

Driver was pulling into a parking spot, just rolling to a stop with her foot on the brake. The car suddenly accelerated into a brick wall and a tree. The front bumper of the car was smashed and the frame was bent. Air bag did not deploy as it should have. Owner contacted Lexus legal department the next day and filed a claim. 16 days later a third party investigator recovered the data from the event data recorder. It has been 50 days since the claim was filed and we got a letter today from Toyota stating "no defects were identified!" this is totally unacceptable. Toyota settled a 1.1 billion dollar class action law suit regarding "unintended acceleration" cases. Obviously there is a big problem. We will be following up with legal representation. In the mean time the car sits in the garage, while we make payments on a car that is totally unsafe to drive!

- Bend, OR, USA

Jul 192016

RX 350

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus RX350. While driving 55 mph, the vehicle accelerated rapidly. The contact lost control and crashed into another vehicle. The air bags did not deploy. The other driver was injured, but did not require medical attention. A police report was filed. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was excluded from NHTSA campaign number: 12V305000 (vehicle speed control). The failure mileage was approximately 110,000.

- Owensmille, MD, USA

May 112015

RX 350

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus RX350. While driving at approximately 60 mph, the vehicle suddenly experienced unintended acceleration causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle and crash into a truck. The vehicle sustained significant damage to the front end. The air bags did not deploy. A police report was filed and no injuries were reported. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 43,000...updated 06-15-15 updated 9/18/15

- Harvard, MA, USA

Mar 032015

RX 350 6-cyl

I was pulling into a parking spot at my workplace at very low speed and the Lexus accelerated wildly over the curb onto plants and iceplant into a tree, which stopped the car. The hood was dented, the grill cracked and the bumper was ripped off both sides. I took it to the dealership immediately. The edr was supposedly checked by a 'neutral' third party and I was called by the dealership to come pick up the vehicle and the factory would respond in writing in 30 days. Unacceptable.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Mar 292014

RX 350

I was driving in the passing lane at about 55 mph. The road was straight and level. The road was covered with a thin coating of slush. While driving the alarm signal began beeping. I took my foot off of the accelerator. The car then began drifting to the left, in the next few seconds the left wheels were 2 feet over the left lane. I tried to get the car back into the lane but the steering did not respond. A few seconds later the car began to drift to the right and rotate to the right. I then applied the brakes but they had little effect. Eventually the car slid off the road to the right stopping about 75 ft off the road, down a 20 foot slope. I believe that the stability control system failed to control the vehicle and did not provide adequate protection in this accident.

- Chagrin Falls, OH, USA

Jun 232013

RX 350

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus RX350. The contact stated that the engine rpms increased excessively as the vehicle suddenly accelerated without warning. The contact crashed into another vehicle as a result. A police report was filed but there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where the failure was unable to be replicated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure and current mileage was 38,000.

- Laurelton, NY, USA

Jul 052013

RX 350 6-cyl

Turning into a parking spot at a very slow rate of speed due to the congested nature of the shopping center. Pulled in with foot on the brake and started to put vehicle into park when the engine revved and the car accelerated very quickly over the curb and into the wall of the shopping center. I felt no control over the vehicle. Only issue with car since purchase were the brakes had to be resurfaced shortly after we got it. Witnesses in the car behind me waiting for me to park also stated that they were shocked to see the car launch forward as they saw that I was near a dead stop. Damage to front end but able to get car back home. Contacted park place Lexus in plano tx and service representative stated they would to it to the dealership for investigation. 30 mins after two truck left, sales person calls to tell me that they should not have towed it and he had specific instructions from Lexus Corp not to work on or open a repair ticket on a care reporting unintentional acceleration. I needed to call the main 800 number. Now have to get car back to house at my expense so the Lexus paid "independent investigator" can come look at the vehicle in 3-5 days. Mortified at the thought this could have killed someone walking along the sidewalk. Too many reports of this issue during parking events. Something needs to be done. Lexus has the opp to do the right thing...let's see if they stand behind their vehicles. One or two instances is driver error....not enough to force Toyota to settle for billions rather than face a jury. Just saying...if I had any doubt about whether I hit the accelerator instead of the brake I wouldn't take the time to report this to a gov Agency.

- Allen, TX, USA

Aug 032011

RX 350 6-cyl

This vehicle started accelerating on its own. When I tried to get the vehicle to stop, the brakes would not work. Neutral would not work. Down shifting would not work. The vehicle would only increase in speed. I had 3 kids in the car. The dash board indicator lights lit up. All of them!! when I finally looked down the accelerator pedal was stuck. I grabbed it with both hands while doing over 100 mph and heard a pop! then the vehicle slowed but still not nearly safe enough. I finally managed to down shift the car at that point. And then jammed her into park from about 30 mph. There was something seriously wrong with this car. It was not floor mats that got that pedal stuck! I saw that pedal! you need to look into this further. Someone is going to get killed! I will bet they already have. I had to trade my car in because Lexus would not even check the computer for fear they would be validating my complaint. Now I get a letter stating they are changing the accelerator pedal? there is something more to this and I think you should be looking further. That is why I am filing my complaint now. They said I was the only one. Obviously not. I spent a lot of money to get out of that car. People should not have to. Please look into this. I beg you.

- Farmingdale, NY, USA

Aug 082012

RX 350

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus RX350. The contact stated that while riving approximately 15 mph, the vehicle suddenly accelerated at a rapid pace. The vehicle continued to accelerate as the brakes were applied. The driver was able to shift into neutral and turned the engine off. The vehicle returned to normal function after several moments and was driven to the contact's home. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The failure and current mileage was 38,000.

- Arlington Heights, IL, USA

Apr 032012

RX 350 6-cyl

I was accelerating to merge on 4 line traffic and my car started suddenly to accelerate even when I was not pressing the accelerating pedal I tried to hit the brakes but it did not slow the car I push to neutral position hitting the brakes but the car was still going fast. I was going to an exit trying to stop the car keeping in neutral and hitting the brakes I was able to stop and shot the engine off.

- Mt .Prospect, IL, USA

Jan 212012

RX 350 6-cyl

On 1/21/12 as I was driving I slowed down preparing to brake for a traffic signal. A school bus was in front of us, stopped. As I stepped on the brake, the engine revved up and the car continued to move forward. I quickly put the car in park and turned off the engine. We were inches from the school bus. This should not have happened. It was frightening!! the problem occurred again about 10 minutes in a stopped position and the car continued to move forward. The tachometer went into the red zone. The dealer and manufacturer were informed. Updated IVOQ 03/29/12

- Short Hills, NJ, USA

Oct 042011

RX 350 6-cyl

On Oct 5, 2011 at 7:45 am, I was traveling on a one lane road each way in rural Connecticut ( 35 mph zone). I decided to pass a car that was traveling well below the speed limit when my Lexus RX350 lurched forward suddenly and then had a huge burst of accelerating speed. I applied my foot to the brakes and the car slowed very slightly, but started to buck a little and then once again felt like it kicked into a higher gear. My dashboard was flashing " brake failure" as I looked down and saw that my foot was firmly planted down on the brakes. Fortunately, there were few cars on the road and only once did I have to pass a car on a blind curve hoping no one was approaching from the other way, so as to avoid ramming a car in front of me. I had resolved in my mind that I was going to crash, and was trying to find a place to take the car off the road while trying to minimize injury to me. I stopped looking at my speed, but it was clearly in excess of 60 mph in a 35 mph zone. I was lucky that day, since there were few cars on the road and the stretch of road I was on was fairly straight. I drove this way for about 1.5 miles when it then occurred to me to shift the car into neutral. Once I did this the car eventually reduced speed to about 5-10 mph. I threw the car into park and jumped out of the vehicle, which at this point was engulfed in smoke from the failed brakes. Lexus blamed the incident on a stuck accelerator pad, although they admitted when the car came to their shop the pad was not stuck. I know factually that the pad was not stuck, since I looked down at my feet during the episode and saw my foot on the brake, and the accelerator pad in its normal position. This was clearly an incident of sudden acceleration. Lexus allowed me to break my lease and lease a 2012, which now has a brake override system (as of 2011 models).

- Newtown, CT, USA

Jan 252012

RX 350 6-cyl

I went out to grab a bite to eat for my daughter and I came to a stop light at a major intersection. I received the turn arrow so I accelerated thru the turn and then punched the gas to make it thru the next light that will turn red if you don't give it a little gas to get thru it. I make it thru the light and get in the right lane to slow down to make my turn and my brakes don't work and my car starts accelerating on its own. I have no control of the speed so I throw the car in neutral and keep slamming the brakes while the brake malfunction light appears. IżżM not sure how my car slows down and I make a right turn into a parking lot and my engine is still sounding like it is accelerating and I am in neutral. My car rolled to a stop, I shut it down and called the Lexus line. The had a towing company out within an hour and the tow truck driver told me this is at least the 10th time he has hauled this type of car for the same thing.

- Villa Park, IL, USA

Sep 292011

RX 350

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus RX350. The contact stated that while stopped with the brakes applied, the vehicle surged forward approximately two to three feet. Heavy pressure was applied to the brakes to stop the vehicle. The vehicle was later taken to an authorized dealer, but they could not diagnose a failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and the vehicle was sold back to the dealer. The failure mileage was 28,500.

- Livermore, CA, USA

May 072011

RX 350

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus Rx 450H. The contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate over 70 mph while driving up an extremely steep incline. An authorized dealer was notified and they informed the contact that the vehicle response was normal. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 7,000.

- Los Angeles, CA, USA

Jul 012011

RX 350

2010 Lexus rx450H. Consumer states problem with braking system the consumer noticed after driving the vehicle for a few months, that it sometimes surged forward a few feet while braking or when letting off the brake. The dealer informed the consumer the braking system was typical of a hybrid vehicle. The consumer stated a couple of weeks later, the vehicle surged forward again as she was braking.

- Hingham, MA, USA

Jul 012011

RX 350

On 7/1/2011 at 10.45pm. I was driving my Lexus 2010 RX350 eastbound on the lie service road in glen cove NY. I was travelling at 35 to 45 mph, when suddenly my "brake malfunction light" started flashing on my dashboard. I instinctively tapped the brake, and the brakes did not respond. Then the car had unintended acceleration, I then pressed on the brakes with all my might, to stop this vehicle careering off the road.with gods grace I was able to stop the car by downshifting gears. This is the first time I have experienced this life threatening problem. So far Lexus have discredited this experience, by claiming the mat was stuck under the accelerator and or brake. I strongly and vehemently disagree with their evaluation and analysis. I intend to take this matter further with Lexus.

- Ny, NY, USA

Jun 212011

RX 350

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus RX350. The contact stated while driving 70 mph with the cruise control engaged the vehicle suddenly accelerated up to 80 mph. While the vehicle was accelerating the brake malfunction light came on. The contact shifted the vehicle into neutral and chose the power button in order to shut the vehicle off and drove onto the emergency lane. The contact stated the brakes were also smoking although nothing was stuck underneath the accelerator pedal. The contact stated the Lexus help service center was not available at the time of the acceleration. The contact called the dealer but the service department was closed. The contact called the manufacturer regarding the sudden acceleration and they authorized that the vehicle to be towed to a dealer. The dealer stated to the contact, the accelerator pedal was stuck on the floor but the contact stated the floor mat was not stuck. The vehicle was currently under going test with the dealer. The failure mileage was 9,500.

- Morehead, KY, USA

Feb 082011

RX 350

In a 2010 Lexus rx 350 my grandmother was a passenger in which the vehicle was at a stop waiting for an apartment complex security gate to open. The car suddenly accelerated to speeds above 60 mph. The vehicle crashed through two apartment complex security gates, went airborne over a busy street and came to rest against the side of a building. To our horror, my grandmother perished in the accident. We are awaiting the information from the black box. I hesitate so say too much because we are still in the decision making process of how/if to proceed regarding litigation. Do not purchase, drive or ride in one of these vehicles.

- Ae, 00, USA

Mar 122011

RX 350 6-cyl

Unintended acceleration without ability to brake with my Lexus rx 350, at 2 pm on Saturday March 12th 2011 with 5 passengers. I was driving at around 30 mph. The choice was to crash in the car ahead stopped at a red light or go on the side walk, up a steep mount and crash in a brick wall. This is what I did. Nobody was hurt. Police was called and the car was towed. Car was inspected by Toyota, no cause was found, car was repaired at a geico approved repaired shop, and I am now asking the Lexus dealer pohanka to allow me to return the car and break my lease. In good conscience although no one was hurt, I am not willing to risk a more serious accident after my experience. We would have gotten hurt at a higher speed. This was my first ever crash driving 20,000 miles per year, driving for more than 35 years. There is no doubt something outside of my control happened.

- Washington , DC, USA