2013 Lexus RX 350 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Lexus RX 350:

2013 Lexus RX 350 Owner Comments

Aug 182016

RX 350

On the garage driveway, suddenly my car accelerated in the reverse gear and could not be stopped even after pressing the brake. The car completely went out of control in the reverse and crashed into my backyard fence, plowed through it and finally came to a stop after hitting my raised patio!

- Plano, TX, USA

Dec 282015

RX 350

I had braked to a stop on a city street in bumper-to-bumper traffic that was stopped for a red light. Suddenly and unexpectedly, my car accelerated forward though my foot was still on the brake. It made a noise like the engine was accelerating. My car lurched forward and struck the car in front. As he moved forward, my car again struck it. I had to put my car in parking gear to get it to stop moving. I had my car towed to the Lexus dealer. They checked and said they could find nothing wrong and they couldn't replicate the problem. I asked them to check the event data recorder that I had read about online. They said the car had no such thing. Nobody should drive this car - somebody could get hurt badly if that unintended acceleration happens again. I lease this car and will terminate the lease. I hope whoever thinks of buying this car will see this report and stay away from it. It is unsafe.

- Lexington, MA, USA

Oct 102015

RX 350

Vehicle unexpectedly accelerated from a standing stop collided with other vehicles and was declared a total loss. Toyota examined the event data recorder. They said they test drove the vehicle (impossible as it was not able to be driven). They said the floor mat was unsecured (not so I checked it as did the local police). The letter from Toyota is a complete whitewash of what happened. I have the results of the event data recorder.

- Greenwich, CT, USA

Sep 232014

RX 350 6-cyl

The car was parked on a flat surface on the top of a driveway that goes downhill. The car was turned on and when the parking brake was released, the car immediately shot down the hill like a bullet at a high rate of speed. The brakes did not stop or slow down the car. We went through 3 fences before the car was finally stopped by the third fence. The car had 4 passengers in it. The passengers on the right passenger side, both front and rear, sustained the most injuries. None of the 10 airbags deployed.

- Arroyo Grande, CA, USA

Nov 192012

RX 350 6-cyl

I was driving on I-59 North with wife as passenger with radar cruise control set at 70 mph approaching departure exit. I tapped the brake pedal to release the cc and it did not release. Thinking I had not tapped it hard enough, I made the turn and tapped the brake pedal harder. The cc did not release. I applied the brakes with full force. The engine raced to satisfy the cc and the speed was 69 mph going into the exit. My Focus was steering the vehicle to avoid objects and traffic. We crashed across a four lane concrete curbed boulevard and into a chain-link fence. I steered down a frontage road and brought the vehicle to a stop. This was a 30 second + event. The black box captured 9.5 seconds of information. Lexus downloaded the black box and I requested a copy of the information which they did furnish on a thumb drive. They immediately erased all evidence of the crash from the vehicle data recorder and proclaimed there were no problems with the vehicle. The thumb drive data clearly displays that the car was traveling 69 mph on the data recorder. It also shows that the cc dropped out during the crash. I received a letter from Toyota legal in torrance, ca, indicating that their review of the vehicle found nothing wrong with it and the case was closed. The body shop repairs were $16K plus the depreciated value of the vehicle is $11K. Nalley Lexus galleria, smyrna, ga, where the vehicle was purchased, defers all communications to Toyota. I have been a Toyota customer since 1990 and this has been my third Lexus rx. Bitter sweet end!

- Guntersville, AL, USA