NHTSA — Service Brakes Problems

2006 Lexus RX 400h brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Lexus RX 400h:

2006 Lexus RX 400h Owner Comments

Nov 272016

RX 400h

The brakes make a strange chirp-type noise when I apply pressure, usually it happens when I am stopped and my foot on the brake. Holding my foot steady on the brake and it happens randomly and often. I had my brakes checked and the pads and rotors are fine; they told me it was the actuator and was a known Lexus problem. This has been happening for several months and I have never gotten a notice from Lexus stating it is a problem.

- Fuquay Varina, NC, USA

Nov 192015

RX 400h

I have ABS vsc and several other lights on on the dash. The response from Lexus is I need a new ABS accumulator assembly. Costs is in the thousands. The similar model design pump was used in the 2007-2011 Camry. Toyota has issued a warranty extension on that pump. Why has the Rx400H and the highlander not received this extension!

- Marietta, GA, USA

Apr 012013

RX 400h 6-cyl

ABS system intermittent failure and master brake cylinder failure.

- Lufkin, TX, USA

Feb 232014

RX 400h 6-cyl

Slowing the vehicle at a stop sign from about 20mph. Constantly applied brake pressure. At about 15mph the brake pressure involuntarily released and the car accelerated forward. My foot was never on the accelerator and continued to apply pressure to the brake throughout the acceleration. Approx. 1/4 second after the acceleration, the brake came back on and continued to apply at the same constant pressure. The entire sequence of events lasted about 1/2 a second but caused the vehicle to lurch forward while braking. This happens about once a week.

- Washington, DC, USA

Jan 132014

RX 400h 6-cyl

As I was approaching a red light I started to brake. My brakes did not engage even when I pumped. I swung my care to the left so I would not rear end the car in front. I hit the car on the passenger rear corner (on my left) and totaled my Lexus. My brakes were fine up to that moment and although I could not drive the car away from the scene they seemed to be working again when I pressed on them (although I cannot be sure as the car was still). It was horrible.

- Houston, TX, USA

Oct 012005

RX 400h

I own a Lexus Rx400H 2006. On several occasions, the vehicle has lurched forward (I.e. accelerated) before stopping when I applied the brakes at a red light or stop sign. I went to the wilkie Lexus dealership in haverford, pa on January 31, 2013. A technician performed a test on the vehicle and reported normal braking performance. I have found similar complaints on NHTSA. Based on these similar reports, I believe my vehicle is not an isolated incident. The brake system on this model needs to be investigated. I will also file a formal complaint with Lexus. I have been lucky to not hit a pedestrian or vehicle, however, it seems as if it is only a matter of time. Others with similar incidences have not been so lucky.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Jan 172013

RX 400h

I was driving the Lexus Rx400H within the city and tried to brake suddenly to avoid a failed car in my lane. I pushed really hard on the brake pedal and continued to step hard on the brake. There was no braking action whatsoever. It appeared as if pressing very hard on the brake just disabled the brake. The car continued to drive like it was on a cruise control and the incident resulted in rear-ending the car in front.

- Okemos , MI, USA