1.6

2006 Lexus RX 400h fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Lexus RX 400h:

2006 Lexus RX 400h Owner Comments

Nov 152016

RX 400h

I purchased this car on 6/11/2016 with 125, 812 miles. I am now at 140, 949 and today while driving down the road with my daughter in the car my vsc maint light, ABS light, brake light, and track stabilizer light all came on at the same time. I have contacted the Lexus dealer in regards to campaign number 13V396000 as this recall identification is identical to what happened today. This being my only vehicle which carries myself and my child this seems to be a very dangerous issue. The dealership informed me that all of these recalls have been repaired and my vehicle is not covered. If this car was repaired it is obvious it was not repaired correctly, if at all. This repair would cost me close to what I paid for the car itself! I would like documentation that my vehicle has in fact been repaired as I am better off buying a different car and junking this one than paying to repair it.

- Indian Head, MD, USA

Jul 042016

RX 400h

I was traveling 60 mph on the highway and my display started reading "check hybrid system" and "check vsc system" simultaneously. I searched and saw there was a recall for this exact issue (intelligent power module inside the inverter module) for certain vehicles of my exact make/model/year but for some reason my vehicle is not on the recall list. I took it to the dealership and they said the regular 12 volt car battery was the issue so they replaced it and the light went off and the car tested normal for several days however when traveling on the highway about a week later the same lights came on again.

- Brighton, MA, USA

Nov 122014

RX 400h 6-cyl

On November 12, 2014 evening, I was driving along and going up a hill in my city street and suddenly I heard a thump sound and then my Lexus Rx400H lost all power and the car stalled. It was dangerous because the vehicle lost power as I was going up a steep hill. Luckily, I was able to stop the vehicle and put the parking brake on. When the vehicle stalled, my dash lit up with "check hybrid system", "check vsc" and other lights also came on. I tried to start the car, but the hybrid "ready" light would not stay on. The car would not start. I had to tow the vehicle to a Lexus dealer. I put a new battery in the vehicle and that still did not fix the problem. Then, the Lexus dealer mechanic did a computer diagnosis and said that it indicated "hybrid inverter problem". my vehicle was previously brought into Lexus dealership for an earlier recall for ipm module but the dealer at that time said my vehicle was not within the serial range affected and nothing was done to the vehicle at that time. I phoned Lexus usa on November 13, 2014, and they confirmed my vehicle was under the recall dlf, NHTSA recall number 13V396. I was never notified by letter. The Lexus dealer then put in the ipm recall part Toyota part 04001-29148 part and the vehicle started properly. My vehicle has about 94,000 miles and just over 8 years old and technically out of warranty. However, the Lexus dealer replaced the part with labor at no charge. This repair costs thousands of dollars if not covered by Lexus. When I bought my Lexus hybrid, I did not be expect that the hybrid vehicle could fail in such a catastrophic way. I'm a little fearful to drive this vehicle again if it happens again, and I hope Lexus will take care of this issue it happens again. There is definitely something defective with the hybrid inverter, and it could be dangerous if it fails while driving.

- Blaine, WA, USA

Apr 102014

RX 400h 6-cyl

Having enjoyed owning a Lexus RX300, I made a huge "investment" and purchased the 2006 Rx400H. In April of 2014, the vehicle would not start due to a failure of the hybrid system. I attempted to jump start the vehicle as suggested by the Lexus dealer. Upon further investigation I discovered the carpet inside the cabin area was soaking wet! the car had been outside in the rain with the windows, sunroof and doors closed. Also, I take the car to an automatic car wash on a regular basis. While loading the car on to the jerr-dan tow truck, a large amount of water poured out of the rear trunk area. The tow truck operator was amazed at the amount of water that was pouring onto the driveway. The vehicle was taken to the Lexus dealer. After several days, a leak in the rear hatch area was found to be the source of the water. There apparently is a metal seam where the welds do not hold up or were not welded properly. Water collected in the hybrid battery area causing over $7000 damage. Of course, luckily for Lexus, the vehicle warranty had expired. The only recourse I had was to make a claim to my insurance, which only covered the damages but not the cause. My out of pocket expenses are approximately $3000. Water leaking from the outside into the cabin of a vehicle, especially one of this price, is unacceptable. And to have water collect into the "heart" of the vehicle and render the vehicle inoperable is frightening. I could have been on an isolated road or a busy highway and the vehicle could have suddenly quit. Lexus knew about this potential problem but did not advise their customers to watch for any signs of moisture. The repair to the popped seam could have been done by any body shop or, I'm told, the use of a good quality silicone. There is a technical service bulletin from 3/10/2009 that specifically addresses this problem: Tsb-L-SB0019-09 rev 1.

- Columbia, PA, USA

Jan 112014

RX 400h 6-cyl

Leakage of coolant from the radiator discovered and in less than 50 miles an engine warning light lit, indicating failure of the hybrid synergy drive system, namely the hybrid inverter. Vehicle was brought into a Lexus dealership and the radiator and inverter were replaced.

- Hopewell Jct, NY, USA