2010 Lexus RX 450h brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Lexus RX 450h:

2010 Lexus RX 450h Owner Comments

Jan 152013

RX 450h 6-cyl

Traffic on I 5 N came to a sudden stop. I stepped hard on the brakes. The ABS function did not work and my car skidded and would have gone into the lane on my right if I had not corrected the skid. This could have resulted in a serious accident with potential bodily injuries. I had the vehicle inspected by Lexus dealer and they said nothing was wrong with the ABS brake system and that this could be one in a thousand incident. I have driven several other manufacturers autos with ABS and know that the Lexus experience is not how normal ABS brakes should function. This is a serious driving hazard and I have not received a satisfactory solution to this issue from Lexus to date. Updated 04/08/14

- Bellevue, WA, USA

Jan 112013

RX 450h 6-cyl

1/11/13 - while driving, various warning indicators on dash begin to flash check hybrid system, check AWD system, and check ABS, then check engine indicator illuminates. Vehicle engine begins to de-rate and the accelerator pedal becomes inoperable. Brakes still function. Stopped vehicle, turned it off, and re-started. Engine was unstable and the RPM was oscillating. The hybrid system was not functioning. Vehicle was towed to dealership. Diagnosis: Faulty fuel pump. Maintenance action: R&R fuel pump, filter, & suction plate. Vehicle was retuned on 1/19/13. On 2/10/13 the same exact situation occurred again. Vehicle was towed to dealership. Diagnosis: Faulty fuel pump/system. Maintenance action: Pending. Dealership is working with Lexus engineers and testing various theories. As of 2/25/13, the vehicle is still at dealership. According to maintenance records, same situation occurred on 8/27/12 (previous owner). Diagnosis: Faulty fuel pump. Maintenance action: R&R fuel pump, filter, & suction plate. Historically no accidents and all services and maintenance performed by dealership.

- Stafford, VA, USA

Dec 102011

RX 450h 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus RX450 hybrid. Ar approximately 6:10am on Saturday Dec. 10th, in clear weather, while operating her vehicle, she entered a parking area and backed into a yellow barrier post at approximately 10 mph. The contact engaged the vehicle in drive, but the vehicle again reversed. The vehicle then moved forward, approaching the street. The contact depressed the brake pedal, but it went to the floor with no response. The vehicle continued in a forward motion with apparent acceleration. The contact turned the vehicle left, depressing the brake pedal several times again, but the vehicle continued forward with further acceleration. Approaching a stop sign approx. 30 yards from the parking area and not being able to halt or slow the vehicle, the contact proceeded through it, turning right, onto a service road. The contact continued to depress the brake and attempted to move the shift lever to another gear, but neither responded. The contact continued to experience a sense of acceleration. At a point approx. 140 yards from the stop sign, the contact opened the driver's side door and jumped out of the vehicle as it moved forward at approx. 25-30 mph. The contact's right elbow, wrist and left arm hit the ground. As the contact attempted to flag down passing motorist, the vehicle ran up against the curb and finally ground to a halt against the granite curb. Approx. 60 yards from the contact's exit point. The vehicle was still engaged in drive when the contact approached the vehicle. Updated 01/06/12

- Concord, MA, USA

Nov 152010

RX 450h

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus rx450H. While driving approximately 25 mph the contact drove over a bump in the road while depressing the brake pedal. The vehicle stalled and suddenly the brakes disengaged. The contact stated the failure occurred several times and caused a rear end collision with another vehicle. There were no injuries and a police report was not filed. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technicians were unable to diagnose the failure. The technicians stated the regenerative and the hydraulic braking system began to switch from one to the other and caused the hesitation. The vehicle was not repaired. The approximate failure mileage was 2,000.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Jul 012011

RX 450h

2010 Lexus rx450H. Consumer states problem with braking system the consumer noticed after driving the vehicle for a few months, that it sometimes surged forward a few feet while braking or when letting off the brake. The dealer informed the consumer the braking system was typical of a hybrid vehicle. The consumer stated a couple of weeks later, the vehicle surged forward again as she was braking.

- Hingham, MA, USA

Jun 252011

RX 450h 6-cyl

I was driving approximately 30 - 40 mph on the freeway. I went to make a lane change, looked over my shoulder to make sure lane was clear, as I turned back, the car in front of me stopped. I put on my brakes, there was no response from my brakes, they disengaged. My car surged forward and hit the car in front of me. My seatbelt did not have any tension, therefore, my body hit the steering wheel. Nothing has been done. The accident just happened.

- Encinitas, CA, USA

Feb 102011

RX 450h

Service brakes, March 13, 2011 - mansfield MA I purchased my 2010 Lexus Rx 450H in December 2010. Ever since I bought it, I have noticed that from time to time, when I press the brake pedal, the car seems to surge forward(!) momentarily before it slows down. This happens most frequently. It will happen even if I am only coasting and not touching the gas pedal when pressing the brake initially. It happens to me at least once or twice a week. It is somewhat disturbing. I have mentioned this to my Lexus dealer, but they have dismissed my concerns both times I brought it up. Has anyone else noticed this issue? view details

- Mansfield, MA, USA

Nov 202010

RX 450h

I was driving my new Lexus 450H (2,000 miles) in a fresh light snow (1.5 to 2 inches) in incline village nv at 25 miles per hour on a slight decline when I depressed the brake pedal to slow down for a curve a few hundred feet away. It locked the wheels immediately and as a result I had no steering control. Given that I had enough time to get my foot off the brake before having to make turn ahead, I removed my foot from the brake (I have been driving in snow my whole life since I was raised in Canada) and it had no effect -- the wheels remained locked as I gained no control of steering and the vehicle continued to slide until it hit the guard rail across the street as I entered the turn at some 10 to 15 miles an hour. I am convinced that the problem lies in the 450H trying to generate power whenever the gas pedal is not depressed -- this is different than my former Lexus 400H which only tried to generate power when the brake pedal is depressed (I know about the new logic because the power gauge (that shows whether the batteries are charging or discharging) shows charging whenever one's foot is taken off the gas pedal on the 450H, not on the 400H). Needless to say, I immediately went to the local Lexus dealer and traded the vehicle for an RX350 that will drive like a normal car. I am only interested in having people that live in hilly snow conditions avoid buying the rx450H as they will necessarily have the same experience. I do not have VIN at this time as I am at my second home in California at this time.

- Incline Village, NV, USA

Nov 282009

RX 450h 6-cyl

The contact owns a 2010 Lexus rx450H. The contact was driving approximately 25 mph over a bumpy road surface. There was pressure applied to the brake pedal in which there was a delay power response. The driver was able to continue in operation. The failure occurred whenever encountering a bumpy road surface. In addition, during acceleration the vehicle became uncontrollable which occurred intermittent. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer for inspection. The technician was unable to detect a problem. The vehicle has not been repaired for the malfunction. The failure mileage was 900. Updated 03/15/10 updated 10/05/10

- East Norristown, PA, USA