2. retension upper timing chain (1 reports)
2000 Lincoln LS engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Lincoln LS:

2000 Lincoln LS Owner Comments

Jan 012015

LS LSE 3.9

click to see larger images

knocking noise coming from engine

I have a 2000 Lincoln ls 3.9 but believe this problem is for 2001 also. It sounds like rod knock but it's not. Passenger side usually fails first it's the UPPER TIMING CHAIN TENSIONED, about 80.00 on eBay. Factory ones we're plastic and would break apart but replacement ones are all fine. Just remove valve cover, and remove can caps, hold Downs for cams. U just need to lift up one can in order to get old tensioned out n replace. Note notches on both cams n make sure flat sides are in same position on both. Replacing used cam bolts will break if tightened more than 30 pounds because they stretch and are not meant to be reused, but I did. Its sound hard but it's NOT! YOU have 2 arms and 2 hands like me so you CAN do it.

You can email me for better directions at Mechanics wanna charge up to $2,000 for this, don't pay it, try it yourself. These are nice cars, just ahead of their time w a few issues. I have put 50,000 miles since my fix which was a new upper tensioned and new valve cover gasket. Getting the gasket not to leak was harder than the job. I love my car.

- , Haddon Heights, New jersey, USA

Jul 232015

LS LS 8 cylender

We know it's not lifters or rods knocking. We know nothing is loose. We know it's not coil packs... I just bought the car and not that familiar with it... My mechanic isn't sure what it is, maybe timing chain? Anyone have any idea what it could be?

- , Sacramento, CA, USA