3.6

2011 Lincoln MKX engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Lincoln MKX:

2011 Lincoln MKX Owner Comments

May 182016

MKX

While driving about 55 mph on the highway my car suddenly stopped. The engine was still on but I had no control except to coast to the side of the road. A sign that said AWD failed appeared. I turned it off and restarted it and drove home. We took it to the Ford garage. They had no idea what was wrong since there was no "code". we took it home after about a week. In less than a week my husband was driving home from work and the same thing happened to him. After the Ford garage had it for about 3 weeks they called and said they were going to replace the throttle body. My husband said that is a design flaw and Lincoln's problem. They didn't want to call so gave us the phone number and my husband called. Their response was things fail in cars. My husband said cars shouldn't quit working while you are driving down the highway. Next day Lincoln rep said they would pay $250 toward the repair. We now have possession of the car but no idea if the problem is fixed or not as of yet. (not sure of exact dates. But it was in may and/or June of 2016)

- Ludlow, PA, USA

Jan 112016

MKX

My 2011 Lincoln Mkx suddenly shut off when driving off the expressway. The engine suddenly turned off, giving me a wrench tool on the dash board. Luckily had just gotten off the expressway and was able to move off the frontage into a store. I was able to turn it back on but turned off on me like 3 more times. When I took it in to my dealership right the next day they couldn't find out what was wrong with it. So I took I took it home then started noticing that my truck felt like it was going to turn off suddenly. Took it to dealership again and they told me that it sound it like it was the throttle body, caused by a leak in oil. They changed it out and my truck works good now. Doesn't feel like its going to turn off all of a sudden.

- San Juan, TX, USA

Jul 202015

MKX 6-cyl

As I was going to pull out of a parallel parking spot, the car immediately stalled and lost all power while in drive. I placed the car in park and attempted to turn the car back on. The car turned back on then as I was about to leave the parking spot again it shut off immediately as I pressed the acceleration. This is very dangerous and left me out in the middle of the street with on coming traffic.

- Pomfret, CT, USA

Sep 222014

MKX 6-cyl

This is the third of three incidents with this vehicle. On this occasion I was traveling 70 mph in the fast lane of the expressway, when the engine failed for the third time in 1 year. On this occasion the wrench symbol came on the dashboard. According the vehicle's manual this is an indication of a powertrain problem. This was the closest that I came to having an accident. There was only about 1000 feet to the left on the fast lane to stop the vehicle without hitting the guard rail. The vehicle has been at the dealership for 5 days. We were called the day after we dropped the car off for servicing. Again they said they could not duplicate the problem and wanted to return the vehicle to us without resolving the problem. I informed Lincoln that I would not take the car back until it was safe to drive. We are currently working with Lincoln to see what can be done.

Feb 032014

MKX 6-cyl

This is the second of 3 incidents with this vehicle. On this occasion I was accelerating onto the expressway. I was on the entrance ramp traveling 55 mph, when this vehicle lost all power for the second time in 6 months. I was able to maneuver to the right hand side of the ramp (with no power steering) and come to a stop. On this occasion I was close to being rear ended. The car did start back up and I returned home and contacted the Lincoln dealership. The vehicle went in for servicing and again they could not find anything wrong with the vehicle. The mechanic suggested that I never allow my vehicle to get below 1/2 tank before filling with gas.

Oct 242013

MKX 6-cyl

This is the first of three incidents with this vehicle. On this occasion I was traveling downhill approximately 35 mph, one block from my home and the engine stalled. I lost all power and coasted to a stop. The car did start back up and I resumed my travel. The car was immediately taken to the dealer and the problem was checked out. The car was returned to me the next day. They were not able to duplicate the problem or give any explanation.

Aug 122013

MKX 6-cyl

Vehicle experienced sudden and complete engine stall at approximately 45 mph. Lost power steering, brakes, and control of vehicle became extremely difficult. After bring vehicle to safe stop on shoulder, it restarted.

- Ormond Beach, FL, USA