3.5

2008 Lincoln MKZ wheels / hubs problems

wheels / hubs problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Lincoln MKZ:

2008 Lincoln MKZ Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jul 302013

MKZ

I have owned my Lincoln Mkz for 3 years. Almost immediately after I purchased the car the chrome on the wheels began to peel. Shortly after the pealing began the rims developed a small loss of air due to the corroding wheels requiring me to check the tire pressure at least once a week and fill at least two tires with air every week to achieve a safe level of operation. The dealer will do nothing to help resolve this problem other than to sell me very expensive replacement wheels. After three years the problem has become significantly worse causing me to fill my tires with air every time I drive it. The chrome on the wheels look awful with the peeling and sharp edges caused by the peeling chrome. Even the dealer is shocked Ford has not issued a recall or addressed this. This is a well know safety issue which Ford has refused to recognize. I have received a response for Ford (see attached) indicating they would not assist me with the repair. My concern is safety. This is a safety issue not only for me but for the general driving public. I hope you will address this issue with Ford before something significant happens and someone is seriously hurt.

- Wayland, NY, USA

Apr 082016

MKZ

Left rear wheel had chrome flake off at the point of attachment to the tire causing air leak in Oct 2015. Wheel was replaced. Right front wheel had chrome flake at the tire seal causing tire low pressure. Dealer recommends replacing wheel. Car has approx. 54000 miles. The loss of air in the tires is sensed by the tire pressure indicator. If tires are inflated it takes about three days until the sensor light comes back on.

- Napa, CA, USA

Mar 092016

MKZ

Chrome wheels did not use nickel undercoat and chrome peeled off causing air leaks and differential would moan from uneven tire pressure; bought 4 new after market wheels for $775 and solved problem. Front driving lights allowed water to penetrate from vent in wheel well causing to fill up with water and shorted out connectors. Covered vent holes. Rewired connector and water proofed the lighting assemblies but they are still very hazy from water damage. Dealer wanted $1,200 to replace them and said it is common. After market replacements cost $350 to $500 each; problem still not resolved and make an otherwise very pretty car look like cheep crap. Very nice car; stupid Ford problems.

- Westfiled, MA, USA

Nov 012011

MKZ

The contact owns a 2008 Lincoln Mkz. The contact stated that air was continuously leaking from all four tires causing the tire pressure monitoring system to illuminate. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where it was diagnosed that the inner edge of the chrome wheels began to detiorate and pieces of chrome chipped off causing air to leak from the tires. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The manufacturer was notified. The failure mileage was 26,000.

- Fairborn, OH, USA

Feb 192014

MKZ

The wheels on my 2008 Lincoln Mkz are corroding to the point that the tires are loosing air. I have had to have the tires taken off the wheels several times and cleaned the rim only to have it continue to corrode and leak air again. It is ruining my tires and it is a safety hazard not knowing how quickly the tires will go flat. My Mkz has only 48,000 miles and has been properly maintained. I have tried to deal with Lincoln, but they are no help. I love my Mkz but am very disappointed with Lincoln.

- Blue Ridge Summit, PA, USA

Jan 112012

MKZ

When I purchased my 2008 Lincoln AWD Mkz, new tires were part of the "deal". from the very beginning one tire (drivers side rear) was losing air. I went back to the dealer and they couldn't determine the problem. I have been back and forth to the dealer constantly ever since the purchase of my Mkz. At one point the dealer sent me to an independent tire company. They looked at the tire in question and I was told that the tire will not "bead" to the rim because of the flaking of the chrome on the rim. They did put a sealant on the areas but it was a temporary fix. Now I'm having a problem with the drivers side front wheel losing air. When the weather is cooler, the air leak is slower, during warm weather, the loss is faster. In the past two weeks I have had air added to the tires at least once each week. With all the complaints about the wheels/rims that are posted, what, if anything, will Ford/Lincoln do about the problem" I'm proud of my Lincoln and with all the commercials about Ford standing behind their vehicles why are we still having a problem"

- Mt. Sterling, KY, USA

Mar 012014

MKZ

The chrome rims on our 2008 Lincoln Mkz began flaking and corroding. This problem did not begin until after the original tires were replaced in 2013. Originally the problem occurred in the colder months, requiring refills every 4 weeks. Now the problem is occurring in the warmer months and more frequently. Rapid deflations have left a tire completely flat on several occasions. The issue is known as this database shows. Ford refuses to acknowledge and address.

- Golden Valley, MN, USA

Feb 052010

MKZ

The contact owns a 2008 Lincoln Mkz. The contact stated that the rear drivers side rim was rusted to the point of corrosion causing damage to the rear drivers side tire. The contact mentioned that the tire constantly had to be inflated. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer, who diagnosed that the rim and the tire needed to be replaced. The tire and rim were replaced but the failure recurred. The contact stated that the other three rims had rust and corrosion. The contact stated that all four tires were replaced and that the three rims may also deteriorate. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 50,000.

- South Hill, VA, USA

Jan 082015

MKZ 6-cyl

Air pressure issues on 3 of my tires. The rim?S chrome plating is flaking off, and tires consistently lose air pressure. I contacted my dealer, but not a warranty issue. I purchased this auto new and it has always has been garaged. I do live in the boston area so do have extreme weather. This is a quality issue and a driving hazard. A recall should be issued to remedy this situation.

- Littleton, MA, USA

Jan 122015

MKZ

Safety hazard-chrome wheels corroding and flaking. Frequent loss of air pressure pre-mature wear of tires.

- Easthampton, MA, USA

Feb 282014

MKZ

Chrome plating is flaking off, and tires consistently lose air pressure. I contacted ray price Ford in stroudsburg, pa and they said this sometimes happens, but not a warranty issue. I contacted my tire person and he tried to brush off the excess chrome around seal to get a bead, but no luck. A new wheel is around $400, so I got a used one. Similar issues, but not as frequent. However, other wheels are beginning to have the same issue (losing air pressure). A set of new wheels would be over $1500, which is not a viable option. Very disappointed with a 'high quality' manufacturer (Lincoln).

- Bartonsville, PA, USA

Dec 022013

MKZ 6-cyl

Car was bought new in 2008 from local Ford/Lincoln dealer, dempewolf Ford, henderson, ky, and always garage kept and dealer serviced. Tires begain to loose air pressure several months ago. When examined by purcell tire, henderson, ky, they said that chrome was flaking off leaving a pitted surface and that bead would not seal against pitted surface. Car is equipt with optional chrome plated 17" wheels. Tires become seriously underinflated weekly. I have just had purcell apply bead sealer but they say it is probably not a long term fix. They say that only solution is new wheels.

- Henderson, KY, USA

Dec 162010

MKZ 6-cyl

The chrome coating on the wheels is defective and flakes off. This does not allow the tires to seat properly with the wheels, causing them to lose pressure. Eventually this can damage the tires by having them repeatedly driven under the recommended pressures. Numerous attempts by my tire dealer to remedy the situation, under their warranty, have been frustrating as the issue is not of their making. I have researched this issue on a number of Lincoln Mkz forums and this is a common complaint among owners.

- Indianapolis, IN, USA

Mar 152012

MKZ

The low tire pressure sensor warning light came up as we pulled away from the dealership and never quit lighting up, regardless of the number of times we took the car to dealers to have the issue fixed. The car was purchased as used, with 43,000 miles in March 2012. Apparently, the mechanics at irwin Lincoln dealership in NJ are clueless, and the only remedy seems to be the purchase of new wheels, at a cost of roughly $2,000. Otherwise, the car is in great shape, but the sensor problem is extremely annoying.

- Jackson, NJ, USA

Jul 102014

MKZ

After getting a low tire pressure warning, I went to tire store and they showed me the corrosion to the chrome and explained how it will affect the tire and the wheel. I was notified that I am going to constantly have issues with low tire pressure unless I replace the wheels.

- Westchester, IL, USA

Nov 222010

MKZ

The chrome coating on the aluminum wheels started peeling and the air was let out of the tires. One tire had explosive decompression when the chrome peeled. If the vehicle had been traveling at even a moderate rate of speed the results could have been deadly. When the wheel loses air and sidewall integrity while moving the tire could just peel off the rim. I had to have the rim bead area sanded down to re seat the tire. The chrome continues to peel. This appears to be a common problem that Lincoln does not want to deal with.

- Woodsfield, OH, USA

May 212014

MKZ

The contact owns a 2008 Lincoln Mkz. The contact stated that all four tires had experienced multiple occasions of air deflation. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic, who diagnosed that the inner rim of the aluminum wheel was corroded and damaged the inside of the tires causing air to exit the tires. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 40,000. The VIN was not available.

- West Monroe, LA, USA

Apr 092014

MKZ 6-cyl

The wheels chrome is corroding and flaking making the air leak from the tire. Wheels are becoming unsafe and in a short period of time.

- Scranton, PA, USA

Aug 012011

MKZ 6-cyl

After spending over 3,500$ on noises while turning and having replaced the tires because the tire was constantly going flat the 17" 8 spoke machined & painted aluminum wheel began to corrode and peel. Two of the tires leaked air around the contact of the rim and tire because of the corrosion. This condition requires having the wheel taken apart and corrosion removed then reassembling the wheel and re-balancing the tire assembly before re-installing back on to car. I have averaged servicing these tires from once a week to once a month depending on the time of year for the last three years and have had to purchase more tires in order compensate for the ware on the tire when having to drive with under inflated tires while trying to safely navigate to the nearest air pump sometimes on a daily basis! the car dealer is aware. This is a safety violation!! the out of pocket cost to continuously have these tires replaced, repaired. The poor gas mileage has brought the actual cost of this car upwards of 43,000.00:(

- Port Jervis, NY, USA

Apr 012011

MKZ 6-cyl

These wheels are identified as 17" 8 spoke machined & painted aluminum wheel which began to corrode and peel around 2011. They leak air around the contact of the rim and tire because of the corrosion. This condition requires having the wheel taken apart and corrosion removed then reassembling the wheel and re-balancing the tire assembly before re-installing back on to car. Depending on several conditions as climate and temperature and when tire assembly last serviced air loss varies from 10% to more than 30% from manufacturer 's suggested tire inflation pressure. I have averaged servicing these four tires at least 6 times or more a year for the last three years. I have contacted both the car dealer and Ford Motor Co. The dealer says it is up to Ford to put out a recall for replacement wheel. The dealer agrees there is a problem, but Ford Motor Co. Does not consider this a problem. I consider this condition a safety violation not to mention the out of pocket cost to continuously have these tires repaired. It affects my gas mileage, tire longevity, and most importantly safety. Please help those of us with this situation. Thank you.

- Tunkhannock, PA, USA