2009 Lincoln MKZ drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Lincoln MKZ:

2009 Lincoln MKZ Owner Comments

Dec 012015

MKZ 6-cyl

The AWD ptu unit needed to be replaced on my car twice in under 85,000 miles and just over 6 years. The first time was at approximately 51,000 miles and the second time was just around 85,000 miles. Both times, I noticed a dark oil spot on my cement driveway. The second time, I initially thought it was an oil leak, since I had just had an oil change and didn't make an appointment right away but then realized it was too dark for oil and was actually the ptu unit again. What would have happened if I didn't notice the leaking gear oil and the unit seized while I was driving on the highway" I would have lost control of the car. What kind of serious damage would that have done to the car? to me and others on the road? it's a potential road hazard. What damage has it already done to the transmission that I have to worry about in the future" it seems to be a design flaw in the car. It is speculated that the cause of the repeated failures is due to a too small oil well (under a pint) or that it's placed too close to the catalytic converter that destroys the seal, which then requires the entire unit be replaced at a significant cost. Since this has happened twice in 85,000 miles, I am concerned it will happen again. In addition, Ford hasn┐T provided a fix to this problem. I have contacted Ford multiple times about them providing a fix or to at least look into it and they've told me they haven┐T received many complaints about it. I find that hard to believe because if you search on-line, the ptu failing seems to be a common problem with Ford and Lincoln AWD cars. Many cars have needed to have it replaced more than once - one up to 5 times. Thank you for your review

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Apr 242014

MKZ 6-cyl

When making a right hand turn steering was lost and the engine shut off. The car went into the opposing lane but thankfully there were no cars at the light. After starting the engine again, the steering was working again. Took car into Lincoln dealership and they could not find anything wrong with the steering but said the throttle body was bad and there was an issue communicating with the PCM. The throttle body and PCM were both replaced. We have not had it occur again.

- New Market, MD, USA

Jun 182012

MKZ

The contact owns a 2009 Lincoln Mkz. The contact stated that while parked, the vehicle began to roll backward and across two lanes of traffic. The contact was struck by the driver's side door which pushed her back into the vehicle however, her ankle was still outside of the vehicle. The contact sustained a fractured ankle bone and lost enough blood to sustain five blood transfusions. The vehicle had not been diagnosed or repaired. The VIN was unavailable. The failure and current mileage was 55,000.

- East Port, NY, USA