2010 Lincoln MKZ electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Lincoln MKZ:

2010 Lincoln MKZ Owner Comments

Aug 262014

MKZ 6-cyl

Passenger side outside led taillight/brake light is now flashing, as if a right turn signal were activated, but when no turn signal is activated. This is in addition to a prior reported defect where the same passenger side led taillight displays a light condition as if braking, when car is not actually braking. This safety defect is also observed on some 2008-2010 Mkz and Mercury Milan vehicles in the past 18 months. The led lights are not owner replaceable; instead the entire taillight must be replaced at a cost to the owner of over $500. This confuses other drivers and then creates a safety hazard.

- Grosse Pointe, MI, USA

Jan 012013

MKZ 6-cyl

Mkz right side outer led taillight assembly is displaying all three bands of led's at all times, instead of only when braking. The correct display without braking is only the center led band. Also, at random times, the three led bands flash as if a turn signal is activated, when it is not. These conditions cause other drivers to not understand whether the car might be braking or turning, when it is only proceeding straight ahead. This is an integrated led taillight assembly that has no replaceable bulbs. The entire assembly must be replaced by a dealer at a cost of $500 bulbs cannot be replaced by an owner, even in an emergency. The left side (driver side) outer led assembly operates correctly, with the center band of led's operative and three bands lighting only when braking. This adds to the confusion of other drivers following the vehicle. Ford motor and Lincoln division refuse to acknowledge a problem, and state that unless it is within a warranty period, no replacement will be made to correct the problem. It has been reported to Lincoln motor division for the past 18 months and the problem continues to date.

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Aug 312013

MKZ 6-cyl

I took my 2010 Lincoln in to a local garage for annual state inspection. I was told that it would not pass inspection due to both rear brake lights not functioning when parking/headlights are on. I then took it to an authorized Ford dealer. They also failed it for a safety inspection sticker and I was told that I needed both rear quarter mount led tail lights. They would cost me approximately $525. Each. I have been forced to look for properly functioning used lights. I have returned 2 lights so far because they malfunctioned the same as mine. This tells me that mine is not an isolated case and many Lincoln Mkz drivers are operating unsafely, unknown to them. I feel this is a direct safety hazard in light that I was driving without any brake lights for an undetermined time. My 2010 Lincoln Mkz is only 6,000 miles over the warranty period and safety recall should be issued by Ford Motor Co.

- Washington, ME, USA

Sep 192012

MKZ 6-cyl

Excessive heating of heated/cooled front seats at approx. 40,000 miles. Temperature too high to touch. At 50,600 miles, dcsm module under the driver seat and associated pigtail wiring burned up, melting connector and wiring. Dealer evaluated prior over heating of both driver and passenger seats as normal at approx. 40,000 miles.

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

May 122012

MKZ 6-cyl Diesel

Backed crookedly into parking slot in public parking lot. Tried to straighten car in slot by slowly moving forward. Car on its own lurched ahead at high rate of speed; brakes had little effect and I struck a parked car. Somehow shifted into reverse and car on its own gained ferocious speed traveling backwards. This forward, then backward pattern continued on its own while I struggled to control the steering wheel. In reverse, car continued gaining speed beyond my control, wheeling about the parking lot and striking 3 or 4 additional autos. During all this time the car shot mostly backward at increasingly faster speeds in wide arcs, in pinball fashion. Eventually the repeated hammering by my car against other parked vehicles slowed my car enough that I could brake finally, and turned off the engine. Altogether my auto had struck and seriously damaged 6 other vehicles. Accelerator seemed stuck during the event, and brakes had no effect until car's speed was sufficiently slowed--before operating. Damage to my auto, particularly the entire front end--grill and front fenders--was extensive.

- Portage, MI, USA

Feb 232012

MKZ 6-cyl

Driving at 35 mph, tried to slow down for a stop light. Car would not slow, brakes were ineffective against the motor that was stuck accelerating. I put car in nuetral ( as car engine raced) and coasted into a business parking lot. I shut off car and restarted. Engine revs were normal. I put car back into drive and drove back to work, the RPM's were surging, but not out of control this time.

- Lorain, OH, USA