2010 Lincoln MKZ lights problems

lights problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2010 Lincoln MKZ:

2010 Lincoln MKZ Owner Comments

Dec 122014

I was informed by friends following our vehicle that the driver side red brake light will illuminate with no change in brake pedal feel at nite when all the car lights are turned on. This I believe is a safety issue since drivers following our vehicle will not be aware when the vehicle itself is braking. Contacted a Ford dealer who informed us that the cost to correct this problem would be $534 (the whole tail light assembly needs to be replaced and is not covered under the extended warranty. I researched whether this was a recurring problem with Ford vehicles and found that a technical service bulletin dated 11-11-10 was issued and NHTSA # 10042506 applied.

- Broadview Heights, OH, USA

Sep 082014

MKZ 6-cyl

Driver side brake lights led lights are out already the cost $500 for $500 it should at least work for 10 years.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Jun 262014

The contact owns a 2010 Lincoln Mkz. The contact stated the driver side tail lights failed. The vehicle was taken to a dealer and no diagnostic was done. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 39,000. The VIN was unavailable.

- Calunet City, IL, USA

Aug 262014

MKZ 6-cyl

At 56,000 miles (just over warranty) a friend noticed that my drivers side brake light was not working. I have no idea how long this condition existed. Brake lights are a safety item and I note there are other complaints on this site regarding the early failure of these led lights. Ford would not warranty this and with a replacement cost of over $500, there is a real danger that some people may delay, or elect to not replace the light. The importance of functioning brake lights can not be overstated. I also have concerns about the luminosity of these lights. I'm not at all sure that they meet federally mandated standards and this should be looked at.

- Webster, WI, USA

Aug 262014

MKZ 6-cyl

Passenger side outside led taillight/brake light is now flashing, as if a right turn signal were activated, but when no turn signal is activated. This is in addition to a prior reported defect where the same passenger side led taillight displays a light condition as if braking, when car is not actually braking. This safety defect is also observed on some 2008-2010 Mkz and Mercury Milan vehicles in the past 18 months. The led lights are not owner replaceable; instead the entire taillight must be replaced at a cost to the owner of over $500. This confuses other drivers and then creates a safety hazard.

- Grosse Pointe, MI, USA

Jan 012013

MKZ 6-cyl

Mkz right side outer led taillight assembly is displaying all three bands of led's at all times, instead of only when braking. The correct display without braking is only the center led band. Also, at random times, the three led bands flash as if a turn signal is activated, when it is not. These conditions cause other drivers to not understand whether the car might be braking or turning, when it is only proceeding straight ahead. This is an integrated led taillight assembly that has no replaceable bulbs. The entire assembly must be replaced by a dealer at a cost of $500 bulbs cannot be replaced by an owner, even in an emergency. The left side (driver side) outer led assembly operates correctly, with the center band of led's operative and three bands lighting only when braking. This adds to the confusion of other drivers following the vehicle. Ford motor and Lincoln division refuse to acknowledge a problem, and state that unless it is within a warranty period, no replacement will be made to correct the problem. It has been reported to Lincoln motor division for the past 18 months and the problem continues to date.

- Grosse Pointe Woods, MI, USA

Aug 312013

MKZ 6-cyl

I took my 2010 Lincoln in to a local garage for annual state inspection. I was told that it would not pass inspection due to both rear brake lights not functioning when parking/headlights are on. I then took it to an authorized Ford dealer. They also failed it for a safety inspection sticker and I was told that I needed both rear quarter mount led tail lights. They would cost me approximately $525. Each. I have been forced to look for properly functioning used lights. I have returned 2 lights so far because they malfunctioned the same as mine. This tells me that mine is not an isolated case and many Lincoln Mkz drivers are operating unsafely, unknown to them. I feel this is a direct safety hazard in light that I was driving without any brake lights for an undetermined time. My 2010 Lincoln Mkz is only 6,000 miles over the warranty period and safety recall should be issued by Ford Motor Co.

- Washington, ME, USA