1. re-thread and install insert (2 reports)
2003 Lincoln Navigator engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Lincoln Navigator:

2003 Lincoln Navigator Owner Comments

Nov 152012

Navigator 5.4L V8

Ford saving money using inferior parts. There should be a recall and the problems corrected

- , Charlotte, USA

Apr 032011

Navigator 5.4L V8

click to see larger images

spark plug blow out spark plug blow out spark plug blow out

While on the freeway cruising at about 70 mph, my friend all of a sudden expierienced a loss of power and a loud popping, hissing noise. She pulled over and even though the engine could still run with the noise and roughness, she decided to call a tow truck. She towed it to Power Ford here in Torrance. They diagnosed it as "#6 cylinder at 20% compression, recommend long block replacement". When I questioned the service writer, Tom Noone, about the well known issue with this particular series of engine, of spark plugs loosening and blowing out he said that it was a rare occurance and that it was not the problem with my friends engine. He said that it would cost $2200 to dissassemble the engine and find the actuall problem. He said that he did not recommend it because more than likely my friend would then still have to replace the engine at an additional cost of $9000. She told him that she did not have that kind of money available and that she would take her vehicle and think about her options. I was able to drive it two miles home. I removed the left bank cover to the coil packs and spark plugs. I discovered that the #6 cylinder spark plug had blown out from its threads and the coil pack had completely melted from the boot to the coil. I plan on fixing it with re-threading the spark plug hole and using an insert as recommended on the sites that I have discovered.

I really think that this is a really bad move by FORD. The "FORD TOUGH" is more like "FORD WILL SCREW YOU". You pay 65,000 for a Lincoln Navigator and 114,000 miles later they want you to pay another $9000 for a new engine. INCREDIBLE. We will make sure to tell all our friends and family about how "FORD" is not a repitable company and all though I would love to by an American car, we will never by another "Fix Or Repair Daily".

- , Torrance, CA, USA