2003 Lincoln Town Car suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2003 Lincoln Town Car:

2003 Lincoln Town Car Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Aug 192016

Town Car

I have a 2003 Lincoln Town car that I bought in 2005, which was still under warranty. Over the years, I've had to pay for replacing the rear axles and axle bearings that went bad. I saw on the NHTSA website yesterday that this was a problem that resulted in a recall of this make/model/year. I never received a recall notice on this problem, and have paid out-of-pocket for these repairs twice, not knowing that there was ever a recall. Now, all Ford will tell me that there is not currently a recall on my car, ignoring that I should have been sent a recall notice. I believe that Ford should replace the rear axles and bearings, which are once again needing replaced. I also believe that Ford should reimburse me for the two times already that I had to pay to have the axles and bearings replaced. The VIN of the car is 1lnhm82wx3Y608360

- Harrisonville, MO, USA

Aug 022016

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. While stationary, the rear of the vehicle fractured. The contact noticed oil coming from the rear end of the vehicle and the traction control light remained illuminated. The contact referenced NHTSA campaign number: 04V328000 (suspension) as the cause of the failure. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 140,140.

- Auburn, CA, USA

Jul 212016

Town Car

While in motion on highway, there was a rear humming noise, I also noticed low gas mileage. While making a visual inspection, I smelled gear oil, observed gear oil around outer rim, inside rotor/ brake caliper area. (right rear wheel) since I travel 40 miles round trip to work on I-10. An accident could of occurred, hurting myself and other people.

- Boerne, TX, USA

Jul 012014

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. While driving at an unknown speed, an abnormal noise was heard from the rear of the vehicle. In, addition, the contact noticed grease on the rear passenger wheel. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the bearing and the rear passenger axle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, six months after the failure recurred. The vehicle was taken back to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear driver axle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired; however, two years later, the rear passenger axle needed to be replaced again. The contact was unaware if the vehicle was serviced per NHTSA campaign number: 04V328000 (suspension). The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 200,000.

- Brunswick, GA, USA

Apr 122014

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. While driving approximately 45 mph, there was an abnormal noise coming from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the rear wheel bearings and axle shaft needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred five months later. The vehicle was repaired a second time, but the failure recurred. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V328000 (suspension). The failure mileage was 100,000.

- Kissimmee, FL, USA

Sep 022015

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. While driving approximately 20 mph, the vehicle vibrated violently. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V328000 (suspension). The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 112,000.

- Orangeburg, SC, USA

Jun 162015

Town Car

The contact owned a 2003 Lincoln Town car. While driving at approximately 40 mph, the axle fractured causing the driver to lose control of the vehicle. As a result, the contact crashed into a concrete divider. The air bags failed to deploy. A police report was not filed and there were no injuries reported. The vehicle was destroyed. The failure mileage was not available.

- Oklahoma City, OK, USA

Apr 162008

Town Car

I started hearing a metal rubbing noise realized that it was coming from the L-rear wheel I replaced the wheel bearing & seal figuring it was just one of those things since this doesn't typically happen in today's later model vehicles.about two weeks later the noise returned so I researched it and discovered a recall not noticing it was just for fleet models. I called Ford and was told it didn't include my VIN # I did some further research and found out that these axles were manufactured with a defect causing the metal to become soft thereby causing the wheel bearing to wear an indentation into the metal resulting in the wheel bearing having to much play on the axle (to much movement). The end result is the bearing destroys itself and hopefully you replace it before it breaks apart causing the wheel to possibly fall off and definite destruction of the rear differential! it was suggested that you replace the bearing with whats called a repairing which is wider and heavier duty than the oem bearing thereby it covers a wider portion of the axle and does not sit in the space where the oem bearing wore down the metal.after replacing it a second time it lasted about 3 years 2011) and then the seal blew out on this wheel which is the same procedure as replacing the bearing. In 2013 the R-rear bearing had to be replaced. As of February 2015 due to the L-rear bearing making noise & leaking differential fluid ( I can hear the bearing destroying itself) and the R-rear axle leaking differential fluid I got fed up parked the car and bought another car. Ironically I bought another 2003 Town car with 65,000 miles it was manufactured in 5/2003 unlike the subject car that was manufactured in 10/2003 I have my fingers crossed.Ford been making cars for 100 years I should not be having this problem with axles.this problem is not just a fleet vehicle problem, I want my axles replaced.

- Raleigh, NC, USA

Mar 022015

Town Car 8-cyl

Letter from congressman murphy on behalf of constituent re 2003 Lincoln Town car privately owned was not included in the recall. The consumer stated the suspension recall only pertained to commercial vehicles.

- West Palm Beach, FL, USA

Sep 222014

Town Car 8-cyl

My 2003 towncar was making a scraping noise in the rear and I brought it to repair shop. Mechanic suspected rear brakes but upon inspection found bad bearings and axel shafts and told me the vehicle was not safe to drive. He also told me he had not seen this type of damage in any past vehicles. And certainly should not happen at 104,000 miles. During online research I found a safety recall in 2004 for 2003 towncars due to rear axles. I was told by Ford that the recall did not apply to my vehicle identification number, but was for vehicles sold to fleets. Further research found many complaints for the same defect on 2003 towncars that were also not part of the recall. I feel that Ford took care of their commercial customers and left private owners exposed to unsafe vehicles with no recourse. Due to the number of Lincoln customers with the same unlikely problem Ford should admit that the recall should affect all 2003 Lincoln Town cars.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Aug 232014

Town Car 8-cyl

NHTSA campaign number: 04V328000 Ford recall number is 04S16 my car started making noise in the rear and when checked there was some oil leakage on the rear right wheel. When I took the car to the mechanic, I was told that this is known problem in 2003 Lincoln Town car with a recall and was asked to check the manufacturer or dealer if my car is part of safety recall. Ford representative kept saying that my car is not part of the recall even though my car has exact issue as reported via NHTSA campaign number: 04V328000 / Ford recall number is 04S16. Also, my car was manufactured in 10/02, in the same time frame mentioned in the recall. For known issues during manufacturing, I am exposed to life threatening risk. Why is Ford not recalling all cars during the time frame and also NHTSA is not making Ford accountable for its mistake ? I kindly request NHTSA to review this recall and include personal owned vehicles too in it - to make it a justified recall.

- Irving, TX, USA

Feb 202014

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. While driving approximately 30 mph, the contact heard a loud noise near the rear of the vehicle. The failure worsened over time. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic who stated that the rear wheel bearings, seals, and rear axle shafts needed to be replaced. The VIN was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V328000 (suspension). The vehicle was not repaired and the manufacturer was notified. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 106,000.

- Cedar Park , TX, USA

Jun 102013

Town Car 8-cyl

I noticed oil all over the rear passenger tire and after checking, I found that it was the rear axle leaking. I went online and found that a recall had been issued because it was a defect and sometimes the wheel would even fall off. I checked with the Lincoln web site and magically my VIN is not included. It seems a lot of people "outside" of the recalled vehicles are having the same issue. Please expand the recall. I have owned 17 cars through the years and have never seen this before. I have never even heard of this issue before! if after 100 years of building cars Ford cannot get the wheels to stay on, and does not think this is a problem, well I guess this is my first and last one.

- Deltona, Fl, FL, USA

Jun 102013

Town Car 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated that there was a rumbling noise coming from the rear passenger's side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to the dealer were it was determined that the rear wheel bearing seals and axle shaft needed to be replaced. The contact spoke with the manufacturer and referenced NHTSA campaign id number: 04V328000 (suspension), but was told that the vehicle was not included. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage and current mileages were 96,000.

- Boise, ID, USA

Sep 012012

Town Car 8-cyl

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated that while driving approximately 60 mph, he heard loud noises from the rear of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where the contact was advised that the rear axle, bearings and the seals failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised him that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number: 04V328000 (suspension). The failure mileage was approximately 100,000. The current mileage was approximately 120,000.

- Appleton, IA, USA

Feb 142013

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated that there was an abnormal grinding from the rear driver's side of the vehicle. The vehicle was taken to a mechanic, who diagnosed that the rear driver's side axle was defective and needed replacing. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 04V328000 (suspension). The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileage was 100,000.

- Centerville, IL, USA

Sep 112012

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. The contact stated that while driving at various speeds, he heard a squeaking noise. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the passenger side wheel bearings would need to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. Approximately four months later, the same symptoms appeared on the driver's side of the vehicle. The contact was informed of a recall for the failure under NHTSA campaign id number: 04V328000 ( suspension:rear). The manufacturer was notified but advised the contact that the VIN was not included in the recall campaign and offered no further assistance. The failure and current mileage was 93,700.

- Brentwood, NY, USA

Dec 082012

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln Town car. The contact was having routine maintenance performed on the vehicle when the technician advised that the rear bearings failed, causing wear to the rear axle. The technician advised the contact to replace the bearings, axle and the seals. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted about the issue and offered no assistance. The failure and current mileages were approximately 89,000.

- Rescue, CA, USA

Aug 112012

Town Car

The contact owns a 2003 Lincoln town-car. The contact stated that the rear bearing seal ruptured. And as a result, the axle became defective. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic for repairs. The dealer was made aware of the failure who advised to contact the manufacturer. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure who did not offer any assistance. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 120,000 and the current mileage was 130,000.

- St. Paul, MN, USA

Oct 032011

Town Car 8-cyl

Was told by Ford that my car was not in the recall date, however my issue is the same. I purchased this car in March 2010 and right off I had issues within the first week. Took it back and had to have the bearing replaced. I complained of a "noise" on left side. Seems it never went away. Now a few months ago I had to park it because "fluid" was leaking on the left rear. I took it to a mechanic and he is telling me I need bearing replaced and something about a axle maybe! ok, I called Ford last year and was told the same thing I am reading all over the internet on this recall. My car is not in this recall! what how can this be, I have a 2003 and I have the same issue here! please look into this as I have not driven my car since 11/2011 and very frustrated over this entire purchase!!!

- Memphis, TN, USA