1998 Mazda 626 seat belts / air bags problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 1998 Mazda 626:

1998 Mazda 626 Owner Comments

Aug 182008

626

I was driving down a dirt road in my 1998 Mazda 626 and the air bags deployed on both my buddy and I. We were only going about 35 mph. It happened so quick that neither of us really remember. But there was a loud bang and a big cloud of corn starch, along with the smell of gun powder. My buddy got his face smashed up and my arm took the brute force of my airbag. Car was fine. Weird. I called the dealership and they said it would cost 2100.00 and that it was illegal for any other shop to install. I then called junk yards to see if I could get a set with the complete module and they said yes. I'm taking them to a local body shop to get installed this week and will get out of this for around 300.00. IF AT ALL POSSIBLE, UNLESS UNDER WARRANTY, AVOID THE DEALERSHIP!!

- , Bangor, ME, USA