2001 Mazda 626 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mazda 626:

2001 Mazda 626 Owner Comments

Apr 162016

The contact owns a 2001 Mazda 626. While driving 15 mph, and slowing down to make a turn into a parking lot, the steering wheel emitted smoke and burst into flames. The police department extinguished the fire, but did not file a report. The vehicle was towed to the contact's residence. An independent mechanic replaced the steering wheel. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was unknown.

- Ponchatoula, LA, USA

Jun 192012

626 4-cyl

Columbia heights, Washington DC June 19th 2012, I was with my mother and partner parking in front of giant supermarket returning a movie at local redbox, while waiting for my partner, I turned off the car, sitting inside noticed dense fumes came from the ignition, I removed the key and fumes still coming out, we step outside the car and we saw several sparks in the ignition, I called immediately 911, suddenly a big flame of fire came from the steering wheel, the car was on fire, we were close to the rooms from a local fire department, a man came with a fire extinguisher and calm the fire and flames; fire truck came less than 10 minutes later, but car was already destroyed. I have pictures to prove, phone calls and witness.

- Washington, DC, USA

Mar 152003

I have been having so many problems with my Mazda 626 and it's a 2001. The times that I have taken it in the shop that would tell me that nothing is wrong with my car, but of course I know my car better I do drive it more than they have too. What I discovered just today is off the map funny(like something is not right), was dealing with my odometer reading. So if I can please allow me your help before my give out on me. Thank you Mrs. Jackson

- Plymouth, NC, USA