2001 Mazda 626 transmission problems

transmission problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2001 Mazda 626:

2001 Mazda 626 Owner Comments

Mar 222008

626 4-cyl

The O/D on my 2001 Mazda 626 is not disengaging. I noticed in March when I was at a traffic light and my care started out super slow like my car was taking off in 4th gear. It shifted gears real fast and after about 1 minute, the O/D off light started flashing. The only way to get it to stop was by turning the car off and back on. The O/D does not disengage at all now. I have read so many reports of the costs people are paying with similar problems that I have had to manually turn off the O/D everytime I slow down and stop to avoid this issue and I have not had the issue since I started doing this. I am hoping that turning the O/D off manually each time I stop will save my transmission.

- Richmond, VA, USA

Jun 142005

626 4-cyl

Mazda 626 transmission failure, at 75,000 miles. Dangerous, especially if the manufacturer knows this transmission is faulty. Was travelling on a freeway in heavy traffic... car stalled immediately. Could not move the car out of traffic lanes... very dangerous result.

- Concord, CA, USA