2014 Mazda CX-5 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda CX-5:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jul 092014

CX-5 4-cyl

I am filing 2 of these back-to-back. Windshield was replaced at the Mazda dealer on Tuesday less than 24 hours later the windshield cracked again. The tiny rock didn't make much of a sound, but the windshield immediately cracked and spider-ed across the windshield. I have never had a windshield crack and now have had 2 within 1 week. I will absolutely not replace this with a Mazda oem windshield. In my opinion something is quite right with the particular lot of oem windshields.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jul 062014

CX-5 4-cyl

Windshield developed a crack not from a stone. Car was in the garage overnight. When I came out in the morning I had a 1 foot long crack on the bottom of the drivers side.

- Carmel, IN, USA

Jun 172014

CX-5 4-cyl

Driving on the freeway I heard a pop. I scanned the windshield for a rock ship. I didn't see any. About 3 minutes later I heard a pop and my windshield cracked from the lower right hand corner, 1/2 in off the seal line of he windshield, to the middle of the windshield. There was a little rock chip below the hood line in the windshield.

- North Highlands, CA, USA

Sep 242014

CX-5 4-cyl

I got in my car to go to work and the windshield was fine. 30 minutes later I got back in the car and I found a huge crack on the windshield probably 3 ft. Long starting from the edge of the passenger side to almost the middle of the car going horizontally. No chip or sign of any rock. It just developed in a matter of a few minutes. Outside temperature about 90.

- Glendale, AZ, USA

Sep 172014

CX-5 4-cyl

Two days ago I was driving by 2014 cx 5 and heard a pebble hit the windshield. When I arrived at my destination, I checked the windshield and saw no chip, no physical damage. Yesterday morning when I left the house to go to work there was a two foot long crack across the windshield. Needless to say, I needed to get the windshield replaced.

- Cockeysville, MD, USA

Apr 032013

Stone hit windshield near wipers and developed 3 ft crack within 12 hoursafter owning the car only 2 months. Replaced it, then 9 months later I get another stone chip on passenger side about 6 inches from edge. It didn't crack until safelite tried to repair. It spread, but crack stayed under the size of a dollar bill. 6 months later it spread after the car sat out in the sun on a hot day. So replaced the windshield again. A few weeks later realize the new windshield is defective - bubbles on the bottom. Safelite replaces it under warranty. One month later I get a new stone chip dead center. I'm getting it repaired. Let's see if this one spreads. Safelite claims chips near windshield edge tend to spread easily. I've never replaced a windshield in any of my previous 3 cars ('71 VW super beetle, '87 Acura integra, '98 Subaru forester), except the last one after owning it for 14 yrs. It seems to me there is something wrong with the design or make of these windshields.

- Sacramenot, CA, USA

Jul 282014

CX-5 4-cyl

I leased a 2014 Cx-5 grand touring in April 2014. On 7/21/14 & at 1800 miles I noticed a large crack in the windshield that started from the top edge and extended down below the rear view mirror. When I inspected the windshield from the outside I could see no rock chip. On 7/25/14 I took the car to H*** body & paint and inquired about replacing the windshield. The technician there said it looked like a pretty obvious case of a stress crack & told me to take it to the dealer to see if they would fix it. That same day I took the car to the dealership & reported to the service dept that I had a crack in my windshield that wasn't from a rock chip. But the tech said he could see the rock chip right away & performed a "pen test" to show me the rock chip. He pointed the pen directly to what he said was the chip & I looked at it closely. I said, "that still doesn't look like a rock chip to me; it looks like the crack started from the top edge underneath the seal." The tech said it doesn't take much at all for a crack like that to start. I commented that Mazda must use very poor quality windshields that crack so easily from a rock chip so tiny that I can't even see it, & with only 1800 miles on it. The tech said I was welcome to get a second opinion about the rock chip but that the Mazda warranty doesn't cover glass anyways. On 7/28/14 I took the car to T***glass and inquired about replacing the windshield. They quoted me a price near $400. I said, "whoa, that's a lot of money just because of a teeny-tiny rock chip!" the tech said, "that's not a rock chip, that's a stress crack." I told him, "the dealer told me on Friday that it's from a rock chip." The tech looked at the windshield again and performed the "pen test." He came back & said, "there is no rock chip on that windshield." I contacted the dealership management & they agreed to do a "good will" replacement.

- West Valley City, UT, USA

Apr 282014

On the 4th day of ownership a horizontal crack appeared in windshield originating from the passenger side windshield column. Within the first month, a second crack also appeared originating from the center top of the windshield, traveling vertically. The windshield therefore had to be replaced within the first month of ownership. No issues with the non-Mazda windshield.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Apr 162014

CX-5 4-cyl

My brand new Mazda CX5 has a defective windshield. I came out one day, to find an "S" shaped crack, which starts just below the rain sensor. Please make Mazda recall and fix these. There are numerous, as in 1000's of incidents of this occurring. Either the rain sensor is causing pressure which makes it crack, or the windshield is unsafe and too thin. I have read stories of people putting in their 2nd one already, on a brand new car. What is going on!" Mazda" I have been loyal for 20 years. Just paid over $30K for my new one, and this.... when I called the dealer, I was told it was not a warranty issue. Yes it is, with 1000's of complaints, there should be a recall!

- Duvall, WA, USA

Aug 062014

CX-5 4-cyl

Rock chip in windshield, then split into foot long crack from driver's side a pillar.

- Ogden, UT, USA

Aug 072014

Within a month of purchasing this new vehicle, a foot-long vertical crack in the windshield developed from the sensor box downwards. (and spread extraordinarily quickly from there.) I was denied replacement by the dealer because they claimed there was a chip in the windshield caused by a small rock, though I don't recall hitting one.

- Sacramento, CA, USA

Jul 262012

Found crack in windshield unknown if it was hit by an object. Had to replace wind shield.

- Dunwoody, GA, USA

Mar 292014

CX-5 4-cyl

I have owned my 2014 Cx-5 for less than five months and have had to replace my windshield two times already due to "chips" in the windshield. I have also had to have a chip replaced as well. The fist occurrence is when a large crack appeared in my windshield after being parked in my parents driveway. The crack started from the left side of the windshield and across measuring approximately 12 inches in length. I immediately called the dealership where I purchased the car and scheduled an appointment. The service manager performed the "pen test" and informed me that the damage was due to a chip from debris. I stated the car was parked in a driveway and there to the naked eye there was no chip mark whatsoever. Needless to say they did not cover it and I proceeded with a claim to my insurance. Then just last week I had another chip occur in the windshield which was repaired by safelite auto glass. Now just this past Sunday I am driving on the freeway and hear a loud pop sound. Next thing I notice is a comma like crack in my windshield. In less than one hour, the crack had spread up and across the windshield beyond your typical chip repair. So again today I just had my second windshield installed in less than five months! my concern is not only the quality of the Cx-5 windshields but the safety of the car for not only myself but my family at this point. With all the other complaints listed on this website and other sites, why isn't anything being done to investigate this serious issue with Mazda and their windshields" how many more complaints will it take before an investigation is started" as a first time Mazda owner I am concerned if I will make it through the first year without another windshield replacement. I am also equally concerned how long my insurance company will continue to pay for them as well.

- Elk Grove, CA, USA

Apr 142014

CX-5 4-cyl

Upon entering the vehicle and starting car in the morning, we heard a "pop" and saw a crack shoot down from the top center of seal down to middle of smart braking system unit behind rear-view mirror. There, it starts an S-like serpentine path that ends up in the drivers field of view. There is no visible chip along the path of the crack.the vehicle was not in motion and we witnessed the crack occur. The Mazda service mgr says it's due to road debris hit, but there is no visible chip. His "pen" test simply hit a minute fragment that was popped out due to the glass cracking itself, not from a debris hit. I had a safelite technician inspect it and they conclude it was not caused by a debris hit. Imo, this is clearly a manufacturer's defect that Mazda should be addressing considering there are many other complaints with the exact same problem both here and in other internet forums.

- High Bridge, NJ, USA

Jul 152014

Driving on a gravel road at low speed when a piece of debris kicked up from an oncoming vehicle (also about 25 mph) cracked the windshield. A starburst appeared, approximately the diameter for a us penny. Approximately two hours later, the crack suddenly burst to being 14-15" long and dramatically affecting driver visibility. I have never had a windshield suddenly pop like that from a rock chip.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Jul 052014

CX-5 4-cyl

Less than a couple of months ago I was driving and a rock or something hit the corner of the windshield (sounded little I might add ) a line that looked like milk started moving across my line of view. It cracked about a 1/2 of a foot later in the day it extended to about a foot and a half.. again just a few days ago (car is 1year 1 mo old) the same thing happened! it sounded like a small pebble that hit the windshield and yet it managed to crack 1/2 foot only this time on the opposite side. I've been driving for over 30 years and I've never had this happen especially two times within one year you would think to crack a windshield like that, it would take a hard-hit. Not only that..but the first three of four months I had the car two chips were noticed at the car wash near the top. I had to check for myself I didn't believe it.

- Queen Creek, AZ, USA

Jun 302014

CX-5 4-cyl

Mazda Cx-5 has a cracked windshield, while driving the prior day, nothing hit the windshield. The next morning there was about a 12" crack on the passenger side windshield.

- Monroeville, PA, USA

Jun 012013

CX-5 4-cyl

Within the first 5 days after purchasing this vehicle a small crack appeared in the lower left (driver) side of the windshield which, before we got home, had stretched across three quarters of the entire width of the glass. In order to register the vehicle with the us department of defense to access military installations, we had to have the windshield replaced to competition with safety standards. Within five days of replacing the windshield, another crack formed in the same place and extended into the field of view of the driver.

- Georgetown, TX, USA

May 262014

One year and one month after purchase of my Cx-5, the windshield began to crack down the direct center of the windshield, in line with the rain sensor and rear view mirror, to the center of the windshield. Over the next week, as I discussed terms with insurance and Mazda dealership to understand if windshield replacement was under warranty, the crack grew in a J retreating back to the top of the windshield. In length, the crack extends between 10 and 20 inches at this point in time and technicians at safelight repair have encouraged me to contact Mazda regarding this stress fracture that did not occur while the vehicle was moving. The value of replacement has been estimated to be $800 by two sales representatives, indicating a heavy price to pay for a part replacement on a less than 1 year old vehicle. Please help reduce the cost of this replacement and the future replacements should the stress fracture happen again as other responses on the forum testify. Thank you.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 202014

Not exactly sure how the windshield cracked, but I was cleaning up the car and went inside for a few minutes. When I returned I noticed two cracks coming from the top part of the windshield. The cracks are about 12 inched long. It was not a particularly hot day and I had the doors to the car open most of the time. We have the touring package on our Cx-5 so its a special windshield that needs to be ordered, not a quick fix. We have about 12,000 miles on thecar.

- Frederick, MD, USA