6.5

2014 Mazda CX-5 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda CX-5:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 3)

Jan 022016

CX-5

We parked our car outdoors overnight on a quiet residential street and returned in the morning to find a 12" crack in the front windshield. It started at the roof line, and cross through the area where the safety sensors are located and ended just below where the review mirror is attached. The car was stationary all night and there does not appear to be any point of impact. The car is 20 months old. It appears to be a stress crack, possibly due to faulty production of the glass or its attachment during manufacturing.

- Palo Alto, CA, USA

Jan 052016

CX-5

Windshield cracked without anything hitting the windshield, personally believe it is stress crack, however, taking it to a local Mazda dealer doing a "pen-test", told me it was chipped and that caused the crack.

- Salinas, CA, USA

Nov 282015

CX-5

This is the second time the windshield on my Mazda CX5 cracked with one year (the prior incident occurred in March 2015)...this time all I hear is a crack sound and I see an atleast 12 inch crack on the windshield while driving. I'm really afraid this crack will break the windshield while I'm driving about and will injure my family (with baby in car). Replacement for windshield is very costly due to rain and city safety monitoring sensors on the windshield....it's ridiculous that this is happening again :(

- Brisbane, CA, USA

Nov 292015

CX-5

2 issues so far with this car: 1st - rear brakes seized up after 30K causing a trail of smoke to follow my car while on the highway, followed by an emergency stop on the side of the road. The hub, rotor, brake caliper, and tires became so hot that the tire pressure sensor went off and upon inspection, the tire pressure had increased from 35psi to over 50psi (tire pressure gauge did not go higher then 50) due to heat. Was told that due to salt and sand (live in cold climate) corrosion caused the issue. Rear brakes and rotors replaced @ $208.95. Currently fighting Mazda for a refund as this is clearly covered under the 3 year 36K mile warranty per tsb: 04005/15 - see warranty section on 3rd and 4th page. I had family in the car when this happened and am worried about the long term safety of this car and it's braking systems. A rear tire blow out caused by this issue could have caused a fatal crash at highway speeds. 2nd - I have replaced the windshield on this car 5 times now in under 30K miles. I have been told repeatedly that this is due to rock chips, but twice the crack appeared out of no where while the car was parked in a temp controlled garage overnight. I have never had this issue with any other car I have ever owned. The windshields are always on a month long back order and driving with a cracked windshield is against the law, so every time this happens I am out of a car for a month and have to fork over money for a loaner so I may get to work. (Mazda and insurance company refuse to offer or pay for my loader car, or I am told there is not one currently available and I am sol)

- Honesdale, PA, USA

May 012015

CX-5

Several months ago I noticed a small crack in the center of my windshield just below the rearview mirror on my 2014 Mazda Cx-5. at no point had anything hit my windshield and there was no sign of a rock or a chip. I looked up the cost of the windshield on the internet and it was then that I saw this is a common problem with this vehicle I am now waiting on a replacement windshield, however there is a national backorder on this particular windshield which would only back up my complaint that there is a larger issue.

- Athens, TX, USA

Apr 062015

CX-5

We had bought a new 2015 Mazda Cx-5 in dec2014. After about 2-3 months & 3500 miles, a crack suddenly appeared on the vehicle when it was parked in a parking lot. There was no eveidence of crack on the commute to that parking lot earlier that day. There was no point of impact or any thing hitting the windshield, the crack has growing a little everyday. Dealer says it was caused due to a point of impact but doesn't look like

- Farmington Hills, MI, USA

Mar 032014

CX-5

The 2014 model vehicle was purchased new in August of 2013. Between that time and may of 2015 the windshield has developed significant cracks multiple times and is now on it's third replacement windshield (fourth total, including the factory-installed windshield). Each time the windshield has been replaced with a Mazda brand windshield - not an aftermarket brand by safelite.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Feb 252015

CX-5

A crack developed on the windshield from under the bottom molding up 5" and then split both ways across the windshield, while it was parked in the driveway.

- Middlesex, NJ, USA

Mar 302015

CX-5

My windshield developed a crack from the center bottom edge over night. It was parked in a garage as everyday and appears to be a stress crack. The crack was significantly long on the first day itself that I had to change it.

- Rockville, MD, USA

Apr 022015

CX-5

While driving on a highway at a normal speed, I heard a loud crack however saw no crack in the windshield at that time. I was not driving behind any large trucks and did not see any rock hit the windshield. The next morning I noticed a crack extending down from above the rearview mirror, and the crack has since grown and is now spreading laterally along the windshield. There is no indication that this was caused by a rock in knots I think it is a stress related incident. I have read several times that this has been an issue with these vehicles and I am going to go to the dealer to discuss it.

- Ruckersville, VA, USA

Sep 032014

CX-5 4-cyl

I was driving on a side street and heard a loud pop. There were no other vehicles around me at the time and nothing hit the windshield. A long thin crack appeared from the bottom of the middle of the windshield and spread upwards and towards the driver's side. A second incident occurred in January 2015, with something hitting the windshield and leaving a small (quarter of an inch in diameter) starburst. After parking outside on a warm 80 degree day in March 2015, I returned to my vehicle to find this starburst had spread into a long thin crack across the driver's side.

- Frisco, TX, USA

Jan 172015

CX-5

2014 Mazda CX5, heard a pop and noticed the windshield was cracked. The crack started from the base, center of windshield, and traveled vertical approx 12-15 inches. There was no rock or gravel strike, no visible chip. This is a recurring issue with other Mazda CX5's.

- Broomfield, CO, USA

Mar 092015

CX-5 4-cyl

Car was driven to the gym and parked. Owner entered the car to return home and noticed a crack in the windshield. Crack initiated under the driver side seal about halfway up the windshield and has progressed horizontally over 12". no apparent impact or debris found on car. Appears to be caused by stress. Further research into this issue has revealed many other Mazda Cx-5 owners with similar experiences.

- Sharpsburg, GA, USA

Mar 042015

CX-5

Was driving my 2014 Mazda Cx-5 in inclement weather (snowing). Hit a small pot hole and heard a loud crack from within the car but was not sure where it came from. When I got to work, I checked the tires and the exterior of the car for damage. There was none. The next day I noticed a six inch crack in my windshield, midway down, starting from the frame of the window on the drivers side, straight inward. Needless to say, as I drive the car more and more, the crack is slowly spreading inward and is now about 16 inches long. I contacted the service department at the dealer and am bringing it in for inspection for a defect. I do not recall getting hit with any pebbles or rocks at the time I hit the pot hole or there after.

- Kinnelon, NJ, USA

Feb 242015

CX-5 4-cyl

When my wife went out to the car on the morning of 2/24/15, she noticed a crack in the windshield. No sign of anything hitting the windshield. It was a 9 inch crack from the bottom center going up.

- Parsippany, NJ, USA

Jan 012015

CX-5

I didn't see any crack. All that I saw was that after I sprayed my windshield and wiped it with the windshield wipers, behold a 12 inch long crack showed up. Someone told me it may have occurred when there was a tiny chip. Checking the whole crack, there was no chip.

- Menlo Park, CA, USA

Sep 142014

CX-5

Both the car in Mar 2014. I replaced a windshield in Sept as a rock caused a crack across the driver's side while driving on a paved highway. A couple weeks later while driving behind a trailer on the freeway I felt like I was getting pummeled by rocks so I pulled into the other lane. And now, yep, I have a chip in the center lower windshield as well as other micro-chips. I feel like I am constantly in the line of fire. This is very disturbing and scary to me. I need to take a look at the roof of the car because I hear them hit but sometimes not always my windshield. I can't believe I am going to have to drive this vehicle with having to constantly worry about that for as long as I have it. I feel like I should wear a helmet and protective eye wear.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Dec 302014

CX-5

Driving on freeway, heard a loud pop. Windshield crack visible and grew over the next week to about 15inches. Windshield is complete loss. No large impact noticeable, just a along curving crack from the bottom of the windshield up and to the left.

- Dublin, CA, USA

Dec 152014

CX-5

After one year of owning my Mazda Cx-5 2014 my windshield cracked. The crack started from the center top to mid section of windshield. I have never had this problem before with other vehicles. There must be a manufacturing error with these windshields. Mazda should refund everyone who has had to replace them.

- Toms River , NJ, USA

Oct 072014

CX-5 4-cyl

I was driving on the highway when all of a sudden I heard a pop, I looked all over the windshield and I didn't see anything. I drove for another 15 minutes and when I looked to my right I saw a 6 inch crack that started from the edge of the windshield on the passenger side. It could not have been from a pebble or impact because at the time I heard the pop there were no cars or trucks in front of me. When I took the car to the dealer a couple days later to get an oil change I asked them what they think of the crack and they said that it was from an impact as there was an impact point on the crack. That same day I took the car to a repair shop and it took them a while to look for a replacement windshield. I did some research online and apparently it has been happening a lot to other Cx-5 owners.

- Belleville, MI, USA