4.1

2014 Mazda CX-5 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda CX-5:

2014 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Aug 132015

CX-5

Engine/active accessories would not shut off. After stopped and put the vehicle into the park position, and pushed the start/stop button to turn off the vehicle, it would not shut off. It sounded like the engine shut off but the accessories were active and fully engaged and beeping. I tried pushing off button several times, restarting /shutting off again, and driving to another parking stall, I had to leave my car unlocked, actively engaged with active accessories fully on in my driveway at home, in shopping centers like target, walmart, the mall, and grocery store. Each time when I returned to my vehicle acc were still on. I had to drive the car a bit and keep trying to park until it shut off. The first time this occurred wa approx July- August, 2015 and my car was still under the 36K/3yr warranty and I was told by the Mazda service advisor that it was just a low key battery and I needed to replace it. He said he did a complete diagnostic check and no problem showed up. It occurred intermittently so I believed him. Recently July 2016- Aug 2016 it actually got worse and happened approximately 5 times within one month. I changed batteries three times on two separate keys. The batteries are not the problem or answer and has not resolved the problem. I think this is might be a transmission, engine, ignition or electrical stability control; I don't know, but definitely not a low key battery prob as I was told by Mazda sevice advisor.

- Fresno, CA, USA

Apr 012016

CX-5

I was traveling about 35mph up a slight incline when the engine lost power and started shaking. The traction control system, tire monitoring, and check engine light all came on at the same time. The engine didn't have any power even when I pressed all the way on the accelerator I couldn't get it to go any faster than 45mph.

- Kelso, WA, USA

Mar 202016

CX-5

On 3/20/16, I was driving on a local road when the car just stopped accelerating. The dashboard lit up with an engine light icon, a red exclamation point and a host of errors (scbs, at malfunction, engine inspection required and something with a T). I coasted to a parking lot, turned the car off for a couple minutes and restarted. The same lights and error messages were there but the car accelerated when pushing the gas petal but more slowly than it should and after 2 blocks, it just stopped again. My 5 month old granddaughter was in the car with me. If this had happened on a busy street or the highway, we could have been killed.

- Sherwood, AR, USA

Dec 042014

CX-5 4-cyl

Bought a 2014 Mazda Cx-5 back in November 2013.up until December 2014 and 33K miles, no issues. Second week of December, was entering the highway and decided to accelerate a bit, got up to about 80 mph and let off the gas.that's when all of a sudden the engine light, traction light and TPMS came on.car lost power but was able to pull off to the side of the highway.sounded like it was running on 3 cylinders, pushing the gas pedal, car wouldn't go. Shut the car off and on and performed like normal.took it the dealer to have checked out.they couldn't replicate the issue and says it was my K&N filter I had, which is false since I've had the filter for the last 20K miles on the car and another 30K on my 2012 Mazda 3.let it go then the following did it again and but this time it happened twice in a row and the engine light stayed on.got the code of P0301 which is a cylinder 1 misfire issue.take it back again and they keep for almost 3 weeks. They finally got the car to do shut off. Replaced fuel injector with no luck.ended up replacing the crank pulley and belts and say it's working.they also replaced the battery because they said it died and had a bad cell.pick the car on a Tuesday evening and sure Friday morning did it again!! already called Mazda customer support and got a case number set up. Dealer "says" Mazda wanted me to take a tech out to replicate problem, which they can, why they want me too, I have no clue. Sure enough the day I take it to the dealer, it did again on my way there. Tech scans the car, sees the same codes and prints them out. Couldn't get the car to shut off again, so I wait. The following week, call Mazda customer support and say the dealer said no codes were found, bullcrap!! complained to the dealer service manager and he "says" that Mazda knows the problem, software related but no release date. I'm done and fed with Mazda and the dealer.

- Burlington, KY, USA

Nov 192014

CX-5 4-cyl

I approached a traffic light, early in the morning on Nov 17, 2014; and just slowed my speed to turn right (did not make a complete stop) when I tried to accelerate my car, speed did not respond and was stuck between 10 to 30 mph. The engine was making a horrible noise, the tachometer was going crazy, got scared, so I pulled to the side of the road and shift gear to P, waited a minute and shift back to D, but car did not respond. Drove about a mile and decided to pull out and turn off my car for a few minutes an restarted fine. I took my car to the dealer the same day. They kept it for two days and said there was nothing wrong. On Feb 13, 2015 had the same problem again, but this time I was at a red light, when tried to accelerate, car did not respond stuck at 25 to 30 mph. I had to make a U turn, to be able to get to a parking lot. I parked and turned off engine, restarted the car and worked fine. I took my car to the dealer again, they kept it a few days and said there is nothing wrong. I do not feel safe driving my Mazda anymore, I was very lucky I did not have an accident the two times I had this problem! there is definitely something very wrong with the power train of this car.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Sep 192013

CX-5 4-cyl

Last year just after a month of ownership I was stopped at traffic light. The engine began to race and then slammed so hard the brakes squealed. It felt like I had been rear ended. I put the vehicle into park, shut it off and got out to inspect my vehicle. The person behind me was not close enough to come in contact with my vehicle and there was no damage. My passengers and myself were shocked by the force. I associated this event with the vehicle being brand new and maybe something just got stuck. The SUV at this time has less than 500 miles on it. During this past winter I am starting to notice the vehicle hesitating at times and a strange clunk sound in the rear end. It hesitates often but the clunk sound is random. Again on May 4,2014 I was stopped in traffic on a busy highway and the engine began to race the vehicle then slammed with enough force to make the brakes squeal and jerk the passengers and myself forward. With this now happening a second time I am fearful to drive this vehicle. I do not feel safe.

- Acushnet, MA, USA