7.8

1. better quality windshield (5 reports)
  3. replace window (1 reports)
2016 Mazda CX-5 windows / windshield problems

windows / windshield problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2016 Mazda CX-5:

2016 Mazda CX-5 Owner Comments

Mar 182017

CX-5

I was driving in the freeway and had barely bought the vehicle two months prior. My driver side window shattered completely. I took it to the police station and they inspected the vehicle extensively noting no rocks, pellets or other evidence of impact, which makes me think it was a glass defect. I took it to the dealer and they dismissed me citing that glass was not covered under the warranty even without inspecting the vehicle or researching to see whether there was a recall.

- , Caldwell, ID, US

Nov 282016

CX-5 Touring

parked my car in the driveway after a day of shopping with my wife. Came out the next morning to find a large crack in the windshield. The crack went from the top, middle of the glass where the sensors are located straight down for about 12 inches. It then split into sections forming an upside down 'Y" shape. Dealership told me they had not had any complaints but after seeing all the complaints online I know this is a major problem for Mazda.

- , Gilbert, AZ, USA

May 022016

CX-5 Sport

My windshield cracked right up the middle one day while sitting at a red light. My new CX-5 had less than 3000 miles on it. I drive my car 10 miles a day to the train station and then back home. I took it to the dealership and at first, they claimed it was hit by a rock. I challenged that as there was no divot in the glass and it cracked while sitting still at a red light. So they advised they'd ask someone in corporate to see if they would fix the glass. They called me the next week and advised they would replace the glass. Claimed it had to be ordered from California. After three weeks and no call to replace the windshield, I called again. Seems the windshield had to come from CHINA. So 5 weeks after reporting it, my windshield was finally replaced at no cost (monetarily) to me. I was just inconvenienced for weeks trying to see out of the windshield as the crack grew to over six feet as it snaked up then to the left through my field of vision and then back to the right. And, of course, my time to sit and wait at the dealership.

- , Dallas, TX, USA

Jul 152016

CX-5 Grand Touring

Rock cracked windshield. Insurance sent Safelite Glass to repair. The glass has some sort of antennas and clear triangle thing attached to the glass. Safelite would not fix since they do not know what those items are on the glass. Now having to get the insurance and dealership involved to resolve this...

- , Tampa, FL, USA

Jun 182016

CX-5 FWD, Touring 2.5L 4 cyl

A new CX5 2016. Driving on the highway, and it just cracked, from the mid-left edge for about 12 inches. I didn't see a rock or pebble flying by. I only heard a soft sounding crack and the crack formed, and I saw the crack happening.

Dealer and the Mazda district manager won't fix it, saying its not covered under warranty.

The windshield thickness appear thinner than other other cars.

In my opinion, I think Mazda used thinner and less expensive windshields, thus it is more prone to cracks. It also compromises the passenger's safety. Mazda knows that Insurance companies will replace the windshield without question, so they're saving a few hundred bucks on each car!

- , Puyallup, WA, US

Apr 222016

CX-5 Grand Touring 2.5L

2016.5 CX-5 has 2800 miles/2 months old.

I have a 20" crack that originated from edge below wiper passenger side.

This is a well documented issue with CX-5.

- , SAN DIEGO, CA, USA

Mar 032016

CX-5

This SUV is less than 1 year old and I am getting ready to replace my second windshield. I have owned Honda Accords for the past 20 years and never had a problem with windshields like I have had with this SUV. When a rock hits the windshield it cracks immediatly and runs about 4" and by the next day it is approximately 12 - 18" long. This is the 2nd time in 30 days this has happen. Very dissappointed with the windshield inthis SUV. I love the vehicle as far as driving, looks & gas mileage but I don't know if I will purchase another one until this issue is resolved.

Update from Aug 19, 2016: I am now on windshield 3 in 8 months time. This windshield just exploded. There was no traffic for a rock to have hit the car. I took it to the mazda dealership and complained and they told me something had to have hit the windshield. These windshield are horrible. There should be a recall on this car.

- , Cropwell, AL, USA

Feb 122016

CX-5 GS 2.5L

click to see larger images

windshield breaks easily

Got my 2016 Mazda CX5 in December only to find a scratch on my windshield, I was very hesitant to take to the dealer after reading all the post about windshield breaks easily and wondered if I should live with a simple scratch.

I decided to take my car to the deader the end of January for them to inspect and they decided to replace it with a new windshield, the work they did to replace it was flawless to my eyes but I was nervous that the replacement windshield could have been of a different quality although it was a genuine Mazda marked glass.

Three weeks later on the Highway a stone hit the glass but no visible crack showed anywhere, the next day the crack in picture appeared. Dealer said not covered under warranted, I call Mazda Canada and they said Its not a concern at this time but will keep on file. Where do I go from here???

Update from Sep 5, 2016: Back in July, I replaced my windshield (Insurance clam) and made sure the replacement glass was not a Mazda branded glass (I'm not leasing vehicle). Since having a different branded windshield I had 2 stones hit the glass and it is still standing strong and no chip. Maybe I was just lucky but I do hope this windshield with tested time is superior to a mazda branded windshield.

- , North York, ON, Canada