CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems.

Owners report problems with the 2007 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.

There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.

Finally for the 2007 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.

In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.

2007 Mazda CX-7 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda CX-7:

2007 Mazda CX-7 Owner Comments

May 312016

CX-7

Took my car to an independent mechanic. Computer registers that there's something wrong with intake but, once removed it works fine. Checked egr ventilation system works fine. Car still cuts out during acceleration. Idles very high he informed me that there's a problem with my computer electrical systems. I need some information pertaining to Mazda recall.

- St. Stephen, SC, USA

Feb 122016

CX-7

Car popped and then smoke came out of the hood and caught on fire burnt car up.

- Stockbridge, GA, USA

Feb 222013

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. months after the vehicle was purchased, the instrument cluster gauges flickered and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle was towed to the dealer. The mechanic replaced the timing chain belt and the engine assembly. The dealer provided no invoice of the repairs. Months later, the failure recurred. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for further inspection and the contact was to tow the vehicle back to the dealer to determine what parts they actually replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 34,366.

- Tomahawk, WI, USA

Jul 152014

CX-7 4-cyl

Prior to this date, which lead up to the last incident, upon getting the first few oil changes, at a dealership where I purchased the car, the engine began to sound like a truck (oil used was not synthetic and I were scheduled to come back in 5-months). When I inquired about it, I was told, "that was the way it was supposed to sound". after that comment, I changed to another dealership for service. The knocking continued, to this day, still. Over the years, the system lights would come on periodically (passenger air bag, check engine light and tire sensor) and the cooling fans would run after you turned the car off. Most times, they would reset themselves. Moving along, recently on 07/15/14, I was returning home for the evening and the car shut down on me. The steering control was hard but I kept it from crashing the wall on Lincoln dr. As I flagged the traffic to proceed, I was able to start the car only to advance to the end of the drive. Before I reached home, the car shut down 5-times. Finally reaching home it sat until I were able to get it to another dealer, closer to home. How about, the engine is shot, the radiator had a leek, I knew nothing about and the dealer says, "it will not start, now". I drove it to the dealer. Oil light was on and smelling as if I burned something, while it knocked. Check engine light and passenger air bag light were on when it cut-off, as I pulled into their driveway. I restarted the car found a parking space. Once the ignition shutdown, the cooling fans came on. Dilemma, I leased the car new in 2007. I bought it, with present car payments until 2016, in 2010. The dealer requests the engine and radiator to be replaced. There is no warranty, especially after 100,000 miles and I have scrap on my hands. Where does one go from here as Mazda used to be reputable? the engine shouldn't have any problems before 200,000 miles.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Feb 032014

CX-7

Timing chain replacement resulted in a catastrophic failure of the high pressure fuel pump and its housing. Replacing the timing chain returned the engine to production line specs, that were too much for a worn fuel pump to handle. The increased pressure to the fuel pump shattered it into numerous pieces less than 100 miles after the timing chain was replaced. Said pieces became lodged inside the cam shaft and ended up bending all of the valves. The necessitated a complete valve job, removing and replacing the cylinder head, fuel pump, cam shaft and oil control calve. At worst, all timing chain replacements should require a fuel pump change in order to prevent the sequence of events that happened to my car and thousands of others.

- Escondido, CA, USA

Jun 102014

CX-7

I pulled from my driveway onto a highway decided to turn on headlights because of heavy tree cover coming up, it was almost full dark turned knob on lever no lights hit breaks thank god those were still where I remembered them hit fog lights they came on. Went to high beam fogs shut off (correct) high beams at least worked much to other drivers slowing swerving an just all an all pissed off. My high beams seem to turn the clock back to about mid day. Scared the hell out of me though an cost me a shift so I'm into this off the get go 735.00$ lets see how much more its going to cost. So much for giving this rig for my 16yearold in two months should have stayed with Chevy or Nissan.

- Vaughn, WA, USA

Jan 012013

CX-7

Air bag light comes on and off randomly with or without passenger in seat. Have had so many issues with this 2007 Cx-7 from 2 different complete A/C system rebuilds in first 2 years, belt tensioner pulley, egr valve codes (had to get egr valve cleaned), coolant temp codes (replaced thermostat & temp sensor) and now air bag random light. I am on a Mazda forum and honestly there should be more recalls on this vehicle due to the volume of complaints in several categories... Mazda responses to just about everything is to replace something for a minimum $500 up to thousands... I am tired of having to deal with Mazda and will never buy another... traded in a 2001 Chevy Tahoe for Cx-7 with 250,000 mi and only had normal maintenance. The Cx-7 was a bad investment for me...

- Salisbury, NC, USA

May 252013

CX-7 4-cyl

Compressor kit was already having issues when driving and when stopped to fuel up, the car would not start as the pulley on the compressor kit was catching and not turning correctly to start the ignition. The car is only a 2007 and only had 60,000 miles on it.

- Fulshear, TX, USA

May 162013

CX-7 4-cyl

A/C compressor locked up.

- Garland, TX, USA

Apr 022013

CX-7 4-cyl

Engine began to vibrate, scraping sound, A/C stopped working. I had car towed to Mazda dealership where they replaced the A/C compressor, timing chain and actuator. Total cost $2306.57. Dealership stated they brought PCM up to date. Egr valve indicator fault now active.

- Bradenton, FL, USA

Jun 092012

CX-7 4-cyl

My 2007 Cx-7 started making a loud banging noise when I started it (May 7,2012). I brought it to the dealership to have it checked out and they said it was my timing chain & actuator (vvt) and it would take $1350 to repair. I paid the money and it was fixed in a couple of days. On June 7th,2012 I started to realize that my ac was not working, but had decided to wait a little bit to have it fixed because I was still hurting financially from the last fix a month ago. Than on June 9th, 2012, I went to start my vehicle and it sounded like it was about to explode. I live in the country and the closest dealership is at least 50 miles away. So I brought it to my local repair shop and they told me my turbo is blown. The Mazda dealership wants $80 to diagnose it and $5000 to fix it (that doesn't include my towing fees and the cost of fixing the ac). I've read all of the complaints online and everyone is saying sludge build up and Mazda wants the receipts for all of their oil changes. I have all my receipts for the synthetic oil changes that I have had done to the vehicle on time (not to mention only filling the car with premium gas). Unfortunately, my car is up to 100,000 miles and they only extended the warranty to what...70K" so basically I have a car that I paid $16K for and is completely useless to me only after 100K miles. From what I've researched vvt's are not supposed to go out until what 250K-300K miles" and it seems a bit ridiculous for the turbo to go out after 100K miles....

- Watertown, TN, USA

Dec 122011

CX-7

This vehicle has caused me nothing but problems! I have had it for 3 years and it has been in the shop 4 times and this last time is the transmission at 70,000 miles! this is ridiculous...Mazda needs to clean up it's act. Customers should not have charges like this early on in the life of a vehicle. The vehicle is gorgeous but perhaps they should have spent a little more time putting it together as it doesn't matter for eye appealing it is when it doesn't run!

- Brandon, SD, USA

Sep 092011

CX-7

I have had my 2007 Mazda Cx-7 for less than one year. I stopped at a red light after exiting the highway and my car engulfed in thick white smoke. I had the car towed to a local shop per my insurance company to have it checked out. The repair shop at first called to tell me it was the starter, and that it would cost 600 to fix it. Come to find out that not only the starter blew, but it also ruined the alternator as well as the fuses on the battery. I was told by Mazda that this is not a common occurrence. The total of the repairs is now over 1200. The vehicle has been meticulously maintained throughout its lifespan and is at 92,000 miles.

- Clinton, MA, USA

Mar 012010

CX-7

An excess of white smoke emitted from exhaust upon acceleration after a brief period of idle. It was determined that a faulty turbo charger was to blame. So the car was in the shop for 7 days while they replaced the turbo. Several months later the car wouldn't start after sitting in a heated garage overnight. It sounded as though the cylinders weren't firing properly. Car was towed to mechanic who identified issue as fouled cylinder heads from prior failure of turbo. This time the entire engine was replaced. Again the car was in the shop for approximately seven days. Some months later an oppressive amount of road noise appeared at all speeds on all road surfaces. We were directed that the tires were to blame. After replacing all 4 tires at a cost of nearly $800 the sound persisted. Upon further inspection the technician found that the wheel speed sensors on the rear wheels had failed allowing water to seep in and rust rear wheel bearings. All four wheel bearings where replaced. Today the vehicle is again in for engine repair to replace the oxygen sensor and a dead battery. After owning the car for 18 months it is has been in the shop for a total of approximately 4 weeks.

- Laotto, IN, USA

Nov 232010

CX-7

I have my 2007 Mazda for a year and it has been at the dealership for 1/2 the time I've owned it. It is the worst vehicle that Mazda could have made it needs to be recalled because of numerous problem someone is going to lose there life. I have had so many things done to my vehicle actuator 2 oil on the engine, turbo went out, timing belt, tie rod broke and tire came off and hit a truck, air conditioning went out, the list can go on and on just got it back after being repaired and it has to go back to the shop on Friday this is the worst car in the world it is a lemon Mazda should be shame of themselves for selling this piece of crap.

- Columbus , OH, USA

Jan 122008

CX-7

I have a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. it is a very beautiful car but also has tons of problems. At 15000 miles it was leaking oil and they replace the engine gaskets. Then later was also leaking oil. Was told by the dealer that it was not. Took it to someone else who said it was leaking from the timing chain. Mazda resealed it. Since then my car doesn't shift properly going up and down hills. My air conditioner is hot and makes a funny sound. My car has loss of power and sound like a diesel. Overall I think that Mazda needs to step up and take care of the problems or they will not get many returning customers! something needs to be done! it was a 35000 dollar car!

- Batavia, OH, USA

Nov 122009

CX-7

I got into a Mazda forum where many costumers are having problems with the air conditioning clutch failure (seized) loosing power steering while driving. Turbo failure, causing engine overheating. Timing belt failure. I can not find any recalls about these failures.

- Union City, NJ, USA

Jul 192009

CX-7

March 09 for the "umpteenth" time the check engine light came on; took 2007 Mazda Cx-7 in to dealership to have the " code " checked; this time (as multiple items were repaired or replaced while still under the 36,000 mile warranty) the code read "oxygen sensor" & I reported that I would need my A/C checked because it sounded and smelled funny plus it didn't always cool; they deferred the A/C, "didn't need any repairs, seemed fine" according to dealership; they replaced the O2 sensor at the cost of >$500 (this is a "common problem" with 2007 CX7/ checked online after the repair and $$$ cost); now July 19, 2009/ had driven car roundtrip 25 miles approx./ noticed smoke coming from under hood (no dash panel light/ or other indicator as to a problem)/ opened hood and smelled something burning plus lots of thick smoke; right side of front quarter panel & hood extremely hot to the touch (leaned in against it to look under hood and got burned (like touching a hot lightbulb or pot of coffee); didn't see any flames, but continued to smell smoke; car is currently outside with hood open, plus windows and sunroof open to allow the smoke that came into the cabin out; researched problem online(after learning from expensive repair March 2009) & saw all the reports re: Smoke damage/ locked-up A/C compressor/ melted wiring to other engine parts/ paint damage; will be taking CX7 in to dealership for diagnostics in the am(from online complaints I get that the repair bill will probably be >$1200); why are almost all of the 2007 Mazda Cx-7 owners having the exact same problems and repairs & still no recall; my car "almost caught fire" because of a "known problem by Mazda" and still no recall; if I had driven any longer/farther my car probably would have caught fire; please do something now, before someone gets hurt or killed because of these "known" problems. Unknown property damage amount at this time (too be determined by dealership mechanics). Thanks for your assistance.

- Julian, NC, USA

Jul 192009

- Julian, NC, USA

Mar 082009

CX-7

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering, brakes, and the entire electrical system failed. The contact could not stop the vehicle. Approximately three minutes later, the power steering and brakes returned. The dealer stated that they had never before experienced this type of failure. The vehicle is currently at the dealer for repair. The failure and current mileages were 35,000.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA