CarComplaints.com Notes: The 2007 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems.

Owners report problems with the 2007 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.

There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.

Finally for the 2007 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.

In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.

2.0

2007 Mazda CX-7 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda CX-7:

2007 Mazda CX-7 Owner Comments

Apr 052016

CX-7

I purchased a 2007 Mazda Cx-7, 3 years ago. I have taken pristine care of my vehicle as I have always. I am a fan of Mazda and have owned others in my lifetime. However, I am extremely disappointed in Mazda Cx-7. I have always put premium gas in my vehicle, regular oil changes, and had my vehicle serviced at a Mazda dealership to make sure it was taken care of properly. Nonetheless, last week I had my car towed to the dealership. Why" because of the consistent problems I seem to find online. My turbo needs to be replaced among other things that coincide with this issue. I have done my research and see that Mazda only points fingers back to the consumer. But I am going to point my finger at the poor design. Must be why Mazda no longer make these vehicles. I believe this is Mazda's issue not mine. The car cannot be totaled out by my insurance company because it is ¿a mechanical breakdown¿. I still owe on the vehicle and the cost to repair is well over the blue book value of the car. There should be a recall on these vehicles. Mazda just keeps pointing the fingers back at us, even if the car was taken care of?!"! if this is a common issue for Mazda Cx-7 and Mazda cx 9 to have turbocharger and engine problems, I do not see why the repairs are put back on us.

- Wallingford, CT, USA

Feb 052016

CX-7

I have a 2007 Mazda Cx-7, my vehicle has 71,000 miles I have noticed a riddling noise for the past few months. I visit three mechanics and all three mechanics are telling me it's the vvt timing chain. The cost the repair my vehicle is $3,000 to $4,000 dollars. I contact the Mazda dealer and because I have no warranty I have to pay out of pocket. So I begin to do my research online. I realized that there are hundreds of other Mazda Cx-7 owners that are having the same issues as I. what a coincidence Mazda has discontinued manufacturing the Mazda Cx-7. this is a manufacture issue and Mazda needs to own up for it. Hundreds of people are losing their vehicles due to this vvt timing chain issue and Mazda needs to make this a re-call. I know one thing I hope and pray nothing happens to me while driving my vehicle because I will not hesitate to file a lawsuit against the Mazda Corp. I hope someone can help all of us who are current owners of Mazda Cx-7. I will continue to spread the word of this horrific issue with this vehicle model.

- Philadelphia, PA, USA

Nov 252015

CX-7

While traveling through the state of New Mexico, the vehicle A/C compressor locked up causing the serpentine belt to melt and break. This resulted in a loss of power steering and made controlling the vehicle difficult, if not dangerous. Based on other complaints this is a very common problem on 2007-08 Mazda Cx-7 vehicles and so absolutely be a recall.

- Peyton, CO, USA

Jun 182015

CX-7

I was driving my Mazda Cx-7 2007 when my ac stopped working. The ac started blowing hot air even though the controls were on ac mode. I pilled off the highway and called a mechanic who informed me that my ac compressor stopped working.

- Jamaica, NY, USA

CX-7

On 9/4/2011 the air conditioning unit froze up melting several belts underneath the vehicle. Smoke poured through the vents entering the vehicle. Vehicle was towed to an authorized Mazda dealership in olympia on 9/4/2011. On 4/10/2013, the check engine light came on, took the vehicle to the mechanic where they replaced the edr valve. On June 1, 2013 the motor mount broke while traveling 55-miles per hour. The weight of the engine preceded to rest onto the cv axel breaking it. I was able to maneuver the vehicle to the side of the road.

May 122013

CX-7

As I was driving, the timing chain broke and imploded into the engine, damaging the engine which now needs replacement. This appears to be a common occurrence with this vehicle.

- Camp Springs, MD, USA