Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: The 2007 Mazda CX-7 has numerous reports filed with the NHTSA about engine & A/C problems.

Owners report problems with the 2007 CX-7's Variable Valve Timing (VVT) & timing chain failing, causing major damage to the engine — Mazda uses an interference design so typically the valves are bent & the entire engine needs to be replaced. Mazda dealers typically quote $9,000 for an engine replacement.

There is also a trend of the turbo failing at low mileage.

Finally for the 2007 CX-7 there is a clear pattern of A/C compressor failure at relatively low mileage. Owners report smoke & occasionally the serpentine belt catches fire when the A/C compressor clutch seizes while driving. Mazda extended the A/C warranty to 60,000 miles, however many owners report their A/C compressor failed very soon after the 60k mark.

In 2011, Mazda began a "Special Service Program" that extended the warranty to 7 years/70,000 miles covering turbocharger oil leaks & excessive timing chain noise — an early sign of timing chain failure. However coverage under the program requires perfect documentation of all required maintenance with other stipulations. Buyer beware.

2007 Mazda CX-7 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda CX-7:

2007 Mazda CX-7 Owner Comments

Mar 222013

CX-7 4-cyl

Started smelling strong burning rubber odor emanating through vents of car while in operation, exited highway upon seeing white smoke fuming from under hood. Loss control of steering and vehicle shut off and would not crank again. Mechanic determined ac compressor has seized and serpentine belt was snapped due to friction from pulleys. If I had stayed on freeway instead of exiting, with the lost of steering I surely would have posed a danger to myself as well as others on the road. This complaint is one of numerous thousands that have been filed on behalf of Mazda and its Cx-7 model. There should be a recall issued for the ac compressor before it causes serious injury and/or fatality.

- Memphis, TN, USA

Dec 152011

CX-7 4-cyl

While driving on the freeway at about 70 mph, my 2007 Mazda CX7 randomly lost power. I was able to pull to the side of the freeway even though the steering wheel became very hard to turn. I was very lucky there were not many cars around me. The motor would only rev when I pushed the gas pedal. I had the car towed to a mechanic. The next day I was told that my motor and turbo needed to be replaced. The repairs would total to about $8,000. I already owe $15,000 on the auto loan. I only had the car for one year, the motor went bad at 60, 000 miles?. I'm a full-time student and a mom, my husband makes less than $30K a year. We cannot afford the repairs at this time. As a result, the car is sitting on our driveway.

- Sun City, CA, USA

Oct 222011

CX-7 4-cyl

Purchased my vehicle 15 months ago at 38,000 miles. In October, I was driving along and the car stopped running. No warning, nothing on the dash lighting up, the vehicle just started loosing speed. The steering was going as well. I put the vehicle in neutral to try and get the steering back and it was a hard steer to the side of the road. I tried starting the vehicle and it would turn but not start. Two tows later, I find, to my surprise at 62,000, that I need a new engine. My timing chain either broke or has derailed. This all happened on October 22nd. It is now November 10th and I still do not have an exact diagnosis nor a vehicle. Yes, warranty is done at 60,000 miles, but what vehicles loose and engine at 62,000 in this decade? and, thankfully, I was not on a highway when this happened as I'm not sure what happened to the steering in this whole process.

- West Dover, VT, USA

Nov 092009

A/C compressor locks. No power steering, overheats and dies suddenly.

- Panama City Beach, FL, USA

Jan 192010

While driving at night at highway speed, noise started to come from engine compartment. Seemed to come and go, but suddenly smelled smoke and lost power steering. Nearly had a head on collision. This was a very serious near miss. Managed to get car to neighborhood car repair shop. After inspection, cause was determined to be seized A/C compressor that led to cascading failures. Cost to repair all damage was $2250. I have since read that this is a common failure on Mazda Cx-7 and still no recall? I will be sending a claim to Mazda usa and would also be interested in joining any class action suite to recoupe all my costs and to force Mazda usa to make a recall. Family's lives are at stake.

- Katy, TX, USA

Mar 082009

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-7. while driving at an unknown speed, the power steering, brakes, and the entire electrical system failed. The contact could not stop the vehicle. Approximately three minutes later, the power steering and brakes returned. The dealer stated that they had never before experienced this type of failure. The vehicle is currently at the dealer for repair. The failure and current mileages were 35,000.

- Saint Peters, MO, USA