Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: So far Mazda seems to have fixed the serious engine & A/C defects that plagued the 2007-2010 CX-7s. We're giving it a tentative "Good" rating for now.

2011 Mazda CX-7 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2011 Mazda CX-7:

2011 Mazda CX-7 Owner Comments

Dec 142015

On 12/14/2015, I was driving about 60-65 mph on a Maryland highway at around 10am. I was in the next lane beside the fast lane. The 2011 Mazda CX7 started to decelerate. I looked down at the gages to make sure I didn┐T inadvertently go into neutral. I was still in drive. I hit the brake, not coming to a complete stop, and then stepped back on the gas, pushing the gas pedal to the floor and the car would not accelerate. It went down to about 20 mph. In my rearview mirror I saw a tractor trailer coming toward me and there was no where I could move, and I could not see on the other side of the trailer to go into the next lane without hitting another vehicle. I was hit in the rear by the trailer. I had on my seatbelt and the airbag did not deploy. I checked for cars in the fast lane and slowly moved onto the shoulder. The driver of the truck followed me. I purchased the car used last year from mile one in baltimore, md. The car fax for the vehicle was great, with no issues. I got oil changes every 6K miles, my last one being in September 2015, at jiffy lube. This was my first instance with any acceleration and deceleration issues. If there was an issue, I did not get any indication light on my dash board that there was an issue.

- Baltimore, MD, USA

Feb 062015

Purchased (new) - July 4th, 2011. One month in, the front driver tire blows out on the 55 freeway in costa mesa. The car is driven to the dealer the next day - to have a tire placed on. The price was surely "surprise surprise" - $250. We push to know why the tire was so expensive, it's because the size is new for this size vehicle and there's one maker of the tire. Bridgestone. We pay for it begrudgingly, and go about our way. February 6th, 2015, 3 years, 6 months of owning the vehicle. The vehicle history is good, maintenance is excellent (my wife is a therapist for children with autism so that's why vehicle choice was extremely important - traveling client to client in administering therapy sessions) and without warning, she cannot reverse. Car can drive forward, yet is losing power when the automatic attempts to shift from 1st to 2nd gear, so it jumps from first to 3rd. We take the vehicle to browning Mazda in cerritos and we are advised that the transmission needs to be replaced ($3,200). 3 years 6 months 64,262 miles, excellent maintenance history, & this vehicle needs a new transmission" this felt like a terrible joke. The power train warranty" 3Y/60K. Expired just over 4,000 miles ago. We contact Mazda (corporate) & are advised later in the day that they would pay half of the ticketed amount. That's still egregious as there wouldn't be a vehicle sold if most buyers knew that at such ridiculously low mileage, the transmission would fail them. We retrieve the vehicle and have it looked at for two more opinions and apparently there are no codes indicating the transmission is bad, yet it's obviously the transmission according to the mechanic as indicated simply by the test drive.

- Anaheim, CA, USA

Nov 012014

CX-7 4-cyl

Vehicle exhibits sudden acceleration. Approx 25% to 35% of the time vehicle will lurch forward when accelerating from a stop. Vehicle behaves as if the accelerator if pressed down all the way, even though it is barely engaged. Sometimes the acceleration is so strong that the tires will break loose. Sudden acceleration starts at about 2mph and stops by 10mph. Approx 5% to 10% of the time will happen in reverse as well. On approx. Nov 1, 2014 this sudden acceleration caused an crash while the vehicle was being parked.

- Lake Worth, FL, USA

Oct 162011

CX-7 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2011 Mazda Cx-7. the contact stated when he turned the vehicle on and shift into drive gear all five doors fail to lock unless he manually locked them. The failure was not diagnosed by a dealer or local mechanic. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 4,200. Updated 1/16/14 the consumer stated when the vehicle was in drive, the doors would not lock automatically.

- Rahway , NJ, USA