2007 Mazda CX-9 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda CX-9:

2007 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Sep 182015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-9. while driving at various speeds, the contact made a left turn and the steering wheel locked without warning. The contact stated that the tires began screeching, which prompted the contact to get out and inspect the vehicle. Upon further inspection, it was witnessed that the driver side tire shifted placement on the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was confirmed that the driver side lower control arm had separated from the ball joint. The vehicle was repaired; however, the failure recurred on the passenger side. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 106,710.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jun 172015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-9. the contact stated that when the steering wheel was turned, there was an abnormal noise. The failure occurred without warning. The contact received notification of NHTSA campaign number: 15V451000 (suspension) however, the part to do the repair was unavailable. The contact stated that the manufacturer exceeded a reasonable amount of time for the recall repair. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 132,000. VIN tool confirms parts not available.

- Little Rock, AR, USA

Oct 282015

CX-9

Dealer wants to charge me the diagnostic fee of $170 before performing this recall, plus they said they are not taking any recalls

- Redwood City, CA, USA

Apr 032015

CX-9

Was driving my car with children in it when the wheel fell off and axel cracked. It caused front end damage I couldn't get out of the driver side door because it wouldn't open. Had to pay to get all of that fixed. I just receive recall 8515G. My issue with this is that the recall does not correct the issue. The reason for the recall is that water get leak into the suspension and cause corrosion. Replacing just the control arms and ball joints does not prevent this from happening again. Water can still leak into the suspension and the new parts could could corrode, become loose and cause the same thing to happen again but this time it could result in more dire consequences. We were lucky I was traveling at a low rate of speed the first time it happened. This is forcing us to buy a new car when we still owe $8000 on the mazdaz we want to be reimbursed for this and the accident we had and the risk it out the lives of me and my children in. Furthermore Mazda said there is a shortage of parts which means they won't replace if there is no sign of looseness. This is rediculous as my crash occurred a few months after being inspected. They are endangering lives

- Gloucester, MA, USA

Sep 282015

CX-9

I was dropping my children off to daycare turning into the parking lot and going over a bump when I heard a loud "pop" toward the front of the car - the car completely stopped dead - I got out to find the front right tire was cocked hard left and was off its control arm - some fluid was also leaking out of the axle area. This happened the Monday morning after I received the recall notice from Mazda this past weekend! I had the form in the car to call for service this week. I have called the service center but they have said they will not be able to look at the car until Thursday - now I will have towing and rental expenses connected with this defect. Fortunately no one in the car was hurt or that it didn't fail on the highway!

- Moon Township, PA, USA

Aug 272015

CX-9

The vehicle started to have problems with the car shaking around 50mph. So we planned to have it looked at since we heard that this particular model has some known issues that may become severe. During the drive to the car shop (literally 1 mile from home) the axle/bearing or front suspension separated from the car!!! the front left wheel and joints separated from the car; the wheel looks like it was breaking off! we were driving around 15mph! no one was hurt and thank goodness it was around 11am so there was no traffic around to make things worse. The car had to be towed to the car shop which was only feet away from the scene, which was an added charge! *photos of incident are also available

- Woodbridge, VA, USA

Nov 052014

CX-9

On November 5, 2014 I had an accident in my Mazda Cx-9. the left front tire broke free from the car while I was entering the highway on an on-ramp. I was going about 50-55 mph and about to merge into the first highway lane when the left front ball joint failed without warning and resulted in thousands of dollars in damage to my car. An insurance claim was files and the damage was repaired. I could have dies since I lost control of the car while entering the highway. Thankfully there were no other vehicles coming at the moment. I have pictures and insurance documentation.

- North Dighton, MA, USA

Jul 232015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-9. while driving at 25 mph, the contact heard a loud abnormal noise. Upon inspecting the vehicle, the front passenger side tire turned perpendicular. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic. The technician diagnosed that the ball joint dislodged and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the issue. The failure mileage was 69,000.

- St. Louis, MO, USA

Jul 142015

CX-9

Two weeks ago I brought in my car due to noise and steering issues. The right ball joint was found to be very loose and about to fail, so it was replaced. The mechanic looked at the left ball joint and determined it was tight and therefore did not recommend replacement. Yesterday, while driving, the left ball joint failed. My tire got wracked and locked-up sending me into a skid. I had to be towed. The axle broke, plus the sway bar, strut and control arm all need to be replaced, between the two repairs, the cost is quite high. This could have been deadly at high speeds.

- Bethesda, MD, USA

Jun 192015

CX-9

I purchased the 2007 Mazda Cx-9, from a used car dealership, and had it less than 24 hours, and as I was turning into my work place the ball joint on the front driver side broke. I was lucky it hadn't happened on the highway when I was going 70 mph. The dealership I bought it from was nice and fixed my vehicle free of charge.

- Grand Rapids, MI, USA

Jun 302015

CX-9

Traveling low speed to make right hand turn into driveway. Heard pop and crunch from driver's side. Lost control, unable to steer vehicle. Exited vehicle to find driver's side wheel lodged into fender. Further inspection showed lower ball joint sheared/separated and allowed tire to flop over. Resulting damage included lower control arm, cv axle assembly, shock/strut assembly, tie rod, fender, and door. Very fortunate to be travelling at low speed when failure occurred.

- Lakewood, CO, USA

Jun 092015

CX-9

We were coming home from our son's baseball game when this incident occurred. There were 2 adults and 3 children in the car at the time of incident. We were traveling in the middle lane of a 3 lane highway and were going about 65 mph, which is the speed limit on this highway. Out of nowhere, there was a very loud "pop" sound and you could feel the car shift a little bit. I was not able to control the vehicle at all. I put my foot on brake lightly to try and bring the car to a stop without slamming the brakes since we were on highway. The car briefly jerked to the left and then drifted to the right. It continued to drift to the right and I was able to bring to a complete stop about 2-3 feet from the edge of highway inside lane. The weather was clear and it was just starting to get dark. There were plenty of other vehicles traveling on highway at the time, but this happened at just the right time when there were no other vehicles to the left or right of us. If it would have happened 15 seconds earlier or later, it would have been impossible to avoid hitting another vehicle because I was unable to control where the car was going. It was definitely a very scary situation and we feel extremely lucky. Since the car was undriveable, I had to call aaa to come get vehicle and take to local auto shop. They told me the ball joint completely snapped/separated and I would need new tie rods, ball joint, control arm, axle, quick strut and tire on front driver side. This was the second time this happened within 5 month period. The same thing happened to front passenger side 5 months earlier at low speed in a parking lot. We had repaired and then it happened again to the other side in this situation, which was much more dangerous situation. In both cases, the ball joint completely separated.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Jan 082015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-9. while making a slight right turn at approximately 5 mph, an abnormal sound came from the front passenger side of the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that the inner and outer tie rod, ball joints, control arm, and axle needed to be replaced. The vehicle was repaired, but the failure recurred. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 89,099.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

Apr 072015

CX-9 6-cyl

Lower ball joint in the front suspension separated causing the wheel to fall off rounding a corner......updated 08/20/15

- Lenexa, KS, USA

Jun 212015

CX-9

Yesterday (6/21/15) at approximately 630pm; my wife was driving our 2007 Mazda CX9 grand touring (AWD). As she was pulling out of a subdivision at approximately 10mph, she heard a loud bang and then immediately lost control of the vehicle. There was no other traffic in the vicinity and she was able to maintain control and get stopped. The right front passenger wheel at broken free of the suspension and steering mechanism. According to the repair shop the lower ball joint broke, pushed out and broke the axle shaft. Also the force of the shifting wheel/tire pushed the right quarter-panel into the right passenger door, making the door inoperable. I've heard of others with this same incident with the CX9. Fortunately this occurred at low speed, with no other traffic or pedestrians in the area.

- Channahon, IL, USA

Jun 202015

CX-9 6-cyl

I was pulling into a driveway and my Mazda cx 9 came to a sudden stop. When I got out of the car I realized that the suspension broke and the front drivers side wheel was no longer attached to the bearing. The car was not drivable and had to be towed...updated 08-12-15 the consumer stated the part was replaced. Updated 08/25/15

- Waltham, MA, USA

May 242015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-9. while driving approximately 35 mph and making a left turn, the contact heard a loud pop and the front passenger side wheel detached from the vehicle. The vehicle was towed to a dealer where it was diagnosed that the passenger side lower ball joint fractured and needed to be replaced and the axle fractured and lodged into the engine. The vehicle was later towed to an independent mechanic where it was repaired. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 95,000.

- Saint Louis, MO, USA

Jun 092015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Cx-9. while driving 10 mph, the contact turned the steering wheel to the right and heard a loud banging sound. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic where it was diagnosed that there was a fractured ball joint and axle. The vehicle was repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 94,000.

- Bridgeton, MO, USA

May 252015

CX-9

While backing out of my driveway the right front ball joint separated and then the pulled wheel away from the vehicle, pulling the axle out. We had to remove the wheel, insert the axle and put the wheel back on before we could even move the car onto the tow truck.

- Wallingford , CT, USA

Aug 072014

CX-9 6-cyl

The passenger front wheel disconnected from the lower control arm, resulting in immediate loss of control of the vehicle. Fortunately the vehicle was being driven thru a residential area at a low speed. Two months prior to the failure, the car had a front-wheel alignment, and the mechanic assured me that there was no detection of the imminent failure. I certainly do not wish to have this occur at highway speeds. I had both lower front ball joint/lower arm assemblies replaced. I still have the failed part in case you are interested.

- Fort Wayne, IN, USA