1.7

2008 Mazda CX-9 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda CX-9:

2008 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments

May 122016

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. the contact smelled burning rubber and heard a clicking sound when driving the vehicle. The vehicle was not diagnosed nor repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was 92,000.

- Shaker Height, OH, USA

Jan 012016

CX-9

I have a 2008 Mazda Cx-9 with 139,000 miles on it. The transfer case has destroyed the transmission. The transmission was compromised by the faulty transfer case over a period time. I've done extensive research on this and this is absolutely a known issue that the transfer case is ruining these transmissions. I've also discovered that the Mazda dealerships in my area are selling upwards of 4 transfer cases per week and often out of stock due to this replacement of the faulty transfer case coming out of the factory. I cannot understand why Mazda hasn't sent out a bulletin to it's valued customers regarding this. I can only imagine the lack of transparency on this is due to the large financial impact it may have. I am contacting you to request that you take this issue to whomever can help resolve my case and provide significant financial assistance towards the replacement of my transmission and faulty transfer case. I've been told that Mazda apparently has a "software update" that would fix this issue - but I find it impossible to believe as I have never received any notification of this being an issue or any software update to fix this faulty transfer case. I find it hard to believe that a software upgrade is going to fix a mechanical issue and cannot find any evidence of this "software" update being legitimate. Mazda supposedly makes a quality product and supposedly cares about customer loyalty and service. I would say that not telling your customers about a faulty part (know issue on factory transfer case) that destroys the transmission and causes significant financial hardship is not fair or reasonable customer service.

- Kensington, NH, USA

Dec 292015

CX-9

Front axle fell off the car. Could hear strange noise when backing up. Put in park in driveway and the car started to roll backwards. Pulled over to sidewalk and applied emergency brake. Called tow truck and axle was found under the car.

- Norwood, MA, USA

Dec 012015

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Cx-9. the contact stated that the vehicle failed to accelerate when the accelerator pedal was depressed. The front driver and passenger wheels spun, but failed to move the vehicle. The vehicle was brought to an independent mechanic who diagnosed that the transfer case needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired.the manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 92,000.

- Omaha, NE, USA

Oct 022015

CX-9

Transfer case failure which can cause transmission failure. Found during recent inspection. Looks the problem is in design. Mazda recalled the transfer case from 2010 model and later but not before. Since the same part is used in earlier models requesting recall on earlier models too.

- Bothell, WA, USA

Jul 012015

CX-9

Gear oil leaking out of the transfer case vent tube. This is not a normal function. Only way to check level is to remove fill plug and stick finger in. The only safe way to get to this is putting vehicle up on a lift. Researched online and many others are having similar issues. If not caught right away transfer case can fail along with transmission. There is no info on changing this oil at certain intervals. Failure of these two components can happen while driving and could result in injury. I think this should be looked into.

- Lathrop, CA, USA

May 152015

CX-9

I was making a right turn from a parking lot onto a road with my two children in the car when a loud crunch happened, the vehicle jerked left while still moving forward and I was unable to steer or break. The car came to an abrupt stop and I couldn't get the driver's door open. I walked around to the front of the car while in traffic and noticed loose parts that had been ejected from the wheel, leaking break fluid, and the driver's side front wheel was no longer attached and had wedged under the car. The car was unable to be moved out of the road thus creating a traffic jam. The tow truck driver said the control arm was broken and that my girls and I are lucky that we were not seriously injured. The car was towed to the Mazda dealer service department 4 days ago and I have not heard from them. Is this something that is covered under tread liability laws? I have photos of the car/wheel that were taken at the scene if needed.

- Leesburg, VA, USA

Apr 292015

CX-9 6-cyl

While making a right turn into a parking place, the right front ball joint broke and cv joint became disconnected, causing the wheel to become disconnected from the car and pushing the wheel well back under the passenger door, making it inoperable. The tow driver said I must have hit something really hard, but in the two and a half years I've had this car, I've never hit anything! I drive a lot for my job and am grateful this didn't happen while I was traveling 70 mph on the highway. It was very scary and has shaken my confidence in this car. I had the car repaired on an emergency basis, but the mechanic told me while the other ball joint was safe enough for me to make the trip home (350 miles), I should definitely get it checked out as well, as it looked suspect for the long term. The car is at the mechanic now, and I was a nervous wreck driving it home earlier today.

- Mount Pleasant, SC, USA

Nov 042014

CX-9

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda CX9. The contact stated while driving approximately 10 mph, an abnormal noise emitted from the vehicle while applying the brakes. The failure recurred and the vehicle stalled. The vehicle failed to restart and was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnostic testing. The technician diagnosed that the transmission needed to be replaced. The vehicle has not been repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the failure. The approximate failure mileage was 142,000.

- Metuchen, NJ, USA

Jul 132011

CX-9

There have been a multitude of problems on the vehicle (two sets of brakes, tierod, electrical overhaul vacuum hoses...) the major issue has been oil leaking. This past summer (2011) there was an oil leak. The dealer had the car for several days before diagnosing that it was the rear main seal. The seal was replaced (car was at dealer for nearly two weeks.) this fall (2011) oil was still leaking. After several days the dealer contacted Mazda corporate and they suggested replacing the transmission, claiming it was not uncommon. The dealer replaced the transmission. Winter/spring 2012 oil still leaking, car is currently at the dealer - claiming it is the rear main seal. Again" wouldn't that have been replaced with the new transmission"

- Holliston, MA, USA

Jul 192008

CX-9

Drive shaft failure on 2008 Mazda CX9 1,750 miles, drive shaft needs to be completely replaced, according to dealer not the first one they have seen (ramsey Mazda NJ) drive shafts should not fail on new cars, can be dangerous.

- New City, NY, USA