2013 Mazda CX-9 brakes problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Mazda CX-9:

2013 Mazda CX-9 Owner Comments

Apr 292016

A truck swerved into my lane and I tried to brake. The pedal didn't immediately depress so I had to serve. Jumped a curb and hit a sign. More than $11,000 of damage. The brake is very difficult to depress quickly.

- Phoenix, AZ, USA

Mar 122016

Loss of braking power and hissing noise heard in the engine compartment. The first time you brake it felt okay but any subsequent braking it felt like there were no power brakes. Brake pedal had to be pushed really hard to get it to even stop. When stopped at a light facing down hill, brakes started to slowly loose grip and caused the car to roll forward. It felt like brake fluid was slowly being drained. I had to consider putting the car in park while stopped at a light so as to not run into the car in front of me. We took it to the dealer and they found that the brake booster was completely faulty and they replaced it. Brake problems have existed on other Mazda Cx-9 vehicles: 2008, 2010 & 2011. NHTSA already investigated the 2010-2011 Cx-9's and Mazda "extended the warranty" on those vehicles. What about the 2013 Cx-9's" why was the problem not yet remedied on the 2013? what good is a vehicle if you cannot stop" safety should be first priority and Mazda has failed miserably with the brakes. The brake booster was supposedly "fixed" under warranty, the next day the orange wrench mechanic light illuminated on the dashboard and cruise control broke failed to engage. It turns out the brake booster and braking switch was still faulty even after the dealer fixed it. The vehicle thought the brakes were continously being pushed so the cruise control would not engage, even though no brakes were being pushed and we were driving 55 mph down the interstate. We took it back and they have supposedly "fixed it this time". this is the 3rd major repair (also faulty and replaced or will be: Torque converter, transmission, lower control arms and ball joints) of this vehicle and it is now less than 3 years old! I do not think I would buy another Mazda again.

- Fairfax, VA, USA

Oct 082015

Lost control of vehicle coming down a ramp in a parking garage, causing me to strike pole in garage, or would have careened over 6th fl railing down 6 stories to street. Vehicle in motion.

- Harahan, LA, USA

Oct 062015

The contact owns a 2013 Mazda Cx-9. while driving 40 mph, the brakes made a hissing sound when engaged. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was notified. The VIN was invalid. The failure mileage was 32,885.

- Miami, FL, USA

Jun 082014

CX-9 6-cyl

Noticed a hissing sound on my 2013 Mazda Cx-9 upon braking -only because radio was off. Brakes began requiring extra force in order to stop. Was at a stop light and realized vehicle slightly roll forward. Periodically brakes would become tight and feel like car had turned off especially upon parking and backing up. Explained symptoms to service tech at Mazda and scheduled to have vehicle looked at. Upon driving to dealership (during morning traffic) I was cut off by another vehicle and had to slam on brakes which in it's most important moment failed!! I ended up swerving into oncoming traffic and was completely blessed not to have hit or have been hit by another vehicle. Ironically this all happened right outside the doorsteps of the dealership. I was completely shaken up and very emotional. How do brakes on a brand new car fail to work"?? service tech said it was the brake booster that failed and stated "I was a very lucky girl". my car since has been fixed, however, I am fearful to drive it again. It would be one thing if it had been an isolated incident, I understand nothing in this world is perfect, however, this is not an isolated but yet common problem. I was told when the brake booster gets hot or overheats it causes a leak which in turn creates the brake failure. Really?" I live in Florida it's always hot! so basically even though the brake booster has been "fixed" there's a chance for it to happen again. I'm sorry but I'm not willing to take a chance on my life again! not sure why there hasn't been a recall yet. Perhaps someone has to be seriously injured or worse. Please, please be cautious if any of the symptoms mentioned arise and have the car towed and not driven to your dealership or mechanic.

- Ocoee, FL, USA

May 302014

While driving my 2013 CX9 I noticed the brakes required extreme force to engage and I heard a hissing sound when I engaged my brakes. Since I had the same issue with the brakes on my 2010 model, I immediately contacted the dealership where they are currently repairing the brakes under warranty.

- Booneville, AR, USA