Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Except for a minor issue with cracked motor mounts, the 2006 MAZDA3 is a fantastic vehicle with a great reputation.

If you need to replace the motor mounts, first ask your dealer if they'll cover it -- the motor mounts were dealt with in a TSB & were recalled for some model years. Otherwise buy aftermarket motor mounts -- owners report this solves the problem. If you use the same OEM parts, they may just crack again.

2006 Mazda MAZDA3 suspension problems

suspension problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2006 Mazda MAZDA3:

2006 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Sep 182015

I was on a freeway off-ramp at approximately 50 mph, when loud grinding and crashing noises came from under the hood. The car then became difficult to steer, and would no longer propel itself. I coasted into a driveway near the bottom of the off-ramp. Upon inspection, I discovered that the transmission "motor mount" had broken. The engine apparently lunged forward, sheering off bolts to the other motor mounts, and landed on the suspension, severely damaging many front-end parts. The car was towed to the nearest Mazda dealership, whose service department confirmed my assessment of what had occurred. The repair estimate is approximately $3,000. Before the incident, the car was in excellent condition, having been well-maintained. (I have service records.) I discovered that Mazda had recalled a number of Mazda 3's for motor mount problems, but my car was not among those recalled. While the car is no longer under warranty, this is a very unusual type of failure, which, under other circumstances, could have caused a serious collision. I have owned numerous cars over the years, with far more miles on them, and never had a motor mount fail in such a catastrophic manner. This seems like a design/engineering flaw.

- Gilroy, CA, USA

Mar 272013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I hit a bump going about 30 mph and after I hit the bump I kept hearing a clunk noise when I would run over a uneven part of the road! I took it to my mechanic and they couldn't figure it out. I figured it was something in my spare tire compartment or my seat belt in the back! come to find out it was my rear strut mount that had broken! all that dirt and salt collects up there!

- Saint Ignace, MI, USA

Feb 132014

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 302012

MAZDA3 4-cyl Diesel

Rubbing sound coming from front passenger wheel when turning hard right, as well as wheel hop. Diagnosed as a broken engine mount which led to a broken strut. Both had to be replaced. Mazda refuses to fix, despite numerous reports of bad engine mounts.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Feb 072009

The "factory spec" negative camber settings on the Mazda 3 caused my tires to prematurely wear on the inside of the tread even with regular tire rotations. By the time I had 30,000 miles on the factory toyo tires the inside tread was completely bald.

- Central Point, OR, USA

Jan 082009

2006 Mazda 3 alignment issue ruining new tires. Now Mazda claims I need a $900 front alignment repair, but can't explain why"???? I've gone through 2 sets of tires in 50,000 miles??"

- Las , NV, USA

Jan 112007

Bought a Mazda 3 2006. At around 17,000 miles I began to have problems with the tires. After complaining several times to the dealer, I was referred to the toyo dealers to address the warranty. I ran into major problems with them in honoring the warranty and ended up buying 4 new Firestone tires at 21,000 miles. Again at around 20,000 miles, I began having the same problems. I had the tires aligned, rotated and balanced every 3,000-6,000 miles and nothing improved the wear of the tires. Neither the Mazda dealership nor the main Mazda offices were willing to do anything to remedy the problem or find a solution. I finally traded the car in 2008 and don?T plan to ever buy another Mazda in my life. I have read blogs on both the Mazda 3 and Mazda 6 with the same problems. Unless one is rich and can afford tires every 17,000 miles, it is not worth the trouble you incur. You will be zoom zooming every 17,000 miles to a tire store.

- Humble, TX, USA