Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Except for a minor issue with cracked motor mounts, the 2007 MAZDA3 is a fantastic vehicle with a great reputation.

If you need to replace the motor mounts, first ask your dealer if they'll cover it -- the motor mounts were dealt with in a TSB & were recalled for some model years. Otherwise buy aftermarket motor mounts -- owners report this solves the problem. If you use the same OEM parts, they may just crack again.

2007 Mazda MAZDA3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda MAZDA3:

2007 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Jun 202016

Was driving down the freeway and all of a sudden it sounded like I ran over a large piece of debris and the car jolted. I tried to accelerate but there was no response and safely pulled over. Turned the car off and tried to turn it back on but there was no turnover. Looked at it and there was oil mixed with metal shards and a crack in the engine. Took it to the dealership of purchase and it was determined that the engine had blown. Let the manufacturer know but they did nothing to help.

- Shoreline, WA, USA

May 012015

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I have been having issues with this vehicle ever since I purchased it from a dealership in woodbridge, va. The car's gears does not shift correctly and the engine continuously stalls. If I'm at a traffic light and the light switches from red to green the vehicle jumps as if it's going to cut off. My at light also came on and my check engine light comes on and off. Every time the vehicle's engine light is checked, it's because of "the thermostat" which I've seen many complaints from owners of the same type of vehicle. Although, the engine code is coming up as an issue with the thermostat, there's actually never an issue. I searched my VIN and its stating there are no open recalls for my vehicle, but I'm having the same issues as the open recalls for this particular make and model for 2007. I bought the vehicle October 2013 so there's no way Mazda could've sent me information pertaining to the recall and the dealership did not inform me of this either.

- Brandywine, MD, USA

Jul 292010

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Upon stopping at a red light my car started shaking really badly and then shut off. This has happened on numerous occasions since the initial incident. When the brakes are not applied, the engine will not shake, but obviously for safety reasons, the breaks must be applied while stopped at a traffic light. On 3 other occasions the car turned off just as I was giving it gas to start going again, resulting in me having to coast over to the shoulder (with the car being off and no power steering to assist) in order to get my car started again. This is a dangerous fault that I have seen so many people complain of. I have read it is due to a faulty purge solenoid valve along with other things, but no one at Mazda seems to know or care much about it.

- Louisville, KY, USA

Sep 012014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Cracked engine mounts. Common problem in the vehicle year and model. Should be looked at for recall.

- Alvarado, TX, USA

Apr 172013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

There is an issue with the rear brake light assembly, the red plastic assembly melted into the break light bulbs causing both rear brake lights to burn out. Currently, both assembly have holes where the red plastic melted, this is a potential fire hazard. There is an issue with the front passenger side engine mount, it has been replaced three times and continues to fail, might an engineering defect on the engine mount. Finally, dashboard airbag indicator has turned on unexpectedly and has remained on ever since, might be defective part in the SRS airbag system.

- Norwalk , CA, USA

Dec 012008

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda 3. the contact stated that the vehicle failed to start when the fuel tank was filled. The dealer performed a diagnostic, which located a failure code at the purge valve. The valve was replaced, but the vehicle experienced additional failures. The front end vibrated and the engine stalled while driving 65 mph. The dealer performed diagnostic testing, which indicated that the engine mount was worn, the struts leaked, and the evap system failed. However, the valves were replaced. The engine mount, struts, and evaporating system were not replaced. The rotor also wore prematurely and could not be resurfaced. The front bumper clips failed due to defective plastic. The clips were replaced several times; however, the failure was not corrected. The manufacturer stated that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign number: 07V295000 (engine and engine cooling). The failure mileage was 50,000.

- Haddonfield , NJ, USA

Oct 052014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

While driving my car to turn into the shopping center parking lot, the steering wheel locked up and was very stiff. At the same time the engine shut off and essentially causing my car to stop in the middle of the parking lot. All engine, power, and battery lights flashed on and off at the same time. I ended up putting the car in park turn off the car with my key and then restarting it again. After researching I saw there was a recall for my model and year, when I called the customer service department the rep not having any notice for a recall for my type of model and did not honor the recall that I had mentioned to him. I am now having to look outside of my means in order to pay for this issue.

- Washington, DC, USA

Aug 202010

Vehicle was traveling along on 30 mph road with 'stop' sign ahead. As vehicle slowed down to about 15 mph, transmission started to shake, several warning lights came on and off, including oil and power steering, RPM fell very close to 0 (zero) and car died. Vehicle was able to stop at the 'stop' sign. Even though the vehicle was still on, any pressure on the gas pedal did not provide power or input to the transmission, now in 1st gear, to move the car. Car needed to be completely turned off and then turned on before it could move again. This issue has been ongoing for 4 years regardless of speed. The car has also decided to stop providing power while in motion while in moving traffic or on the highway, which could have resulted in multiple car crashes or worse. Mazda refuses to acknowledge that anything is wrong with the car since they "cannot replicate the problem". this issue is sporadic and occurs regardless of speed (usually around 30 mpg or less), weather, distance traveled, amount of time car has been in consistent use, etc. Mazda has even hooked this car up to their computer system and no error code has been found. This issue has been extensively documented with our local Mazda dealer and paperwork is available for review. This car has been a true lemon since we bought it. It only has roughly 55K miles on it.

- Middle Village, NY, USA

Apr 192012

I was notified by the Mazda dealership that an integral hydraulic engine mount was cracking and needed replacement. I was just past my car's warranty so I drove on it since they said it was safe. On November 8th 2013 during a service I was told the integral mount was about to break and needed immediate replacement. They said if the mount had broken while driving it could cause an accident, not to mention destroy the motor. I had them replace it but had to pay out of pocket since it was past warranty and not a recall. I researched online and found numerous complaints from other owners of the same series car and within adjacent years of the same motor mount cracking and needing replacement under 50,000 miles. Some complained about having to replace the replacement later after putting some more mileage on it. This is an obviously inherently defective part that should be recalled. Please look into this and force Mazda to recall this defect as it is a danger to public safety if one were to break while driving. Thank you so much for your time and service.

- Castro Valley, CA, USA

Apr 102012

2007 Mazda 3, whenever I come to a stop my vehicle vibrates really bad as if it want to stop. I have took the Mazda back to flow Mazda and they said it was nothing but everytime I stop it does the same thing. I also took it to sears and they said they see nothing wrong with the vehicle but something is calling the vehicle to vibrate whenever it isn't moving.

- Fayetteville, NC, USA

Nov 092011

While trying to accelerate form a stop my car stalled. The engine shut off but the radio and all indicator lights were on the dash. I had to put the car into park and turn the key to the off position and restart the engine. My car is an automatic transmission and has done this multiple times all at similar speeds. Going from a complete stop or from idling speed trying to accelerate.

- Downey, CA, USA