Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Except for a minor issue with cracked motor mounts, the 2007 MAZDA3 is a fantastic vehicle with a great reputation.

If you need to replace the motor mounts, first ask your dealer if they'll cover it -- the motor mounts were dealt with in a TSB & were recalled for some model years. Otherwise buy aftermarket motor mounts -- owners report this solves the problem. If you use the same OEM parts, they may just crack again.

2007 Mazda MAZDA3 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2007 Mazda MAZDA3:

2007 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 3)

Jun 262013

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that while driving 55 mph, the steering wheel became difficult to maneuver. In addition, the vehicle began stuttering and misfiring. The vehicle was towed to an independent mechanic for diagnosis and the contact was informed that the fuel pump would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was notified of the failure. The vehicle had not been replaced. The failure and current mileage was 108,000.

- Lynchburg, VA, USA

May 222013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Drove vehicle a short distance, parked & shut off engine. Started engine a short time later and as soon as I turned the steering wheel the power steering assist malfunction lamp turned on and the wheel could not be turned with reasonable effort (car was still stopped).

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Feb 122013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

My husband was driving to work when he experienced a problem with the power steering, it became very hard to steer. He made it to work, and the Mazda continues to have power steering issues. Today 5/11/13, a friend informed us that there is a Mazda 3 2007 power steering recall. I am upset that Mazda never sent me any information regarding the recall. That is unacceptable, that is a very real concern. I called the Mazda dealer number, and it just states to wait for "second" letter, well, it would have been nice to have the first letter.this is a huge safety problem, and very irresponsible of Mazda not to notify all owners.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Apr 012013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I have experienced sudden loss of power steering (about once a week). Although Mazda has issued a recall for 2007-2009 Mazda3 with the same problem, they refuse to pay for my repair because the manufacturing date is a few days before the recall.

- Weston, FL, USA

Feb 252013

When I tried making a turn at a slow rate I felt the car stutter and the steering became very hard and my car stalled...turned the car back on and it was ok..few days later it happen again..went online and read there was a recall for the power steering failing. Called the dealership where I bought my car and was told my VIN was not part of the recall..I'm upset because if Mazda knew it was a problem why not cover all the Mazda 3 that is having this problem instead of only covering Mazda's that were built between a certain time frame. I hope no one has to die in a car accident due to the power steering failing for Mazda to cover all effected Mazda.

- Euless, TX, USA

Dec 012012

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that when driving at various speeds, the steering wheel would veer to the right haphazardly. The power steering warning light illuminated immediately after the failure occurred. The vehicle was taken to an independent mechanic where they advised that the power steering assist system failed and needed to be replaced. The vehicle was not repaired. The manufacturer was contacted and advised that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 10V374000 (steering). The failure and current mileages were approximately 72,000.

- Hampton, VA, USA

Nov 302012

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Mazda 3. the contact stated that while driving at various speeds and attempting a turn, the steering wheel became extremely difficult to maneuver. The power steering warning light was also illuminated. The vehicle was not inspected by a dealer or an independent mechanic. The manufacturer was later contacted and advised her that the vehicle was not included in NHTSA campaign id number 10V374000 (steering:electric power assist system). The failure mileage was approximately 61,000. The current mileage was approximately 62,000.

- Kansas City, MO, USA

Jan 172011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Car purchased new, no problems prior to 17-January-2012 0-37,000 miles 1. 17-Jan-2011- ps recall : dealer-replaced ps pump & lines per recall 37K 2. 21-Feb-2011- ps failure at startup : dealer-loose connection, fixed 38K 3. 11-Aug-2011- ps failure at startup : dealer-replaced ps pump & lines 45K 4. 30-may-2012- ps failure at startup : dealer-scan/diagnostics-replaced car battery 57K 5. 16-Jul-2012- ps failure while moving : dealer-scan/diagnostics-no idea-no help 59K 6. 25-Aug-2012- ps failure at startup : will call dealer tomorrow 60K if left off for a period of time, ps returns. Dangerous problem!

- Farmington, MN, USA

Aug 072012

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda Mazda3. The contact was driving 25 mph when he felt that the power steering assist failed. The power steering reset independently as the contact attempted a turn. The vehicle was not taken to the dealer. The manufacturer was contacted and stated that the VIN was not included in any recalls. The failure and the current mileage was 88,000.

- Lakeview , MN, USA

Jan 042012

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The contact owns 2007 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that while driving 48 mph, a popping noise emitted from the steering column and the steering wheel seized. A steering assist warning light also began to illuminate on the instrument panel. The vehicle was merged to the shoulder and shut off. The failure continued upon restart. The vehicle was then towed to a local mechanic, who inspected the vehicle and stated that there was a recall addressing the failure. An authorized dealer was notified and informed the contact that the vehicle was not included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number 10V374000 (steering: Electric power assist system). The manufacturer was not notified. The failure mileage was unknown. Updated 02/22/12 updated 03/01/12

- Hialeah, FL, USA

Aug 252011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

My 2007 Mazda 3 lost power steering while on the interstate two times within a week making it dangerously difficult to steer. The problem did not persist until recently, (4 months later) and now I have lost power steering completely. The power steering indication light stays on and it is very difficult to steer. There recently was a recall on 2007 Mazda3 for power steering issues, but my VIN seems to be outside the range of the recall. Mazda should accommodate all 2007 Mazda3S with power steering issues because the problem is more wide spread than probably expected and is very dangerous to lose power steering while going 40+ mph. Since my VIN is not in the recall range, it is costing me $1100 for a new power steering pump. My 2007 Mazda3 and all other 2007 Mazda3 should be include in the recall. It is not fair to accommodate only some 2007 Mazda3 and not others for the same dangerous malfunction with the power steering pump.

- Omaha, NE, USA

May 042011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The power steering went out while driving down the road. Apparently this is an ongoing problem with the 2007 Mazda3. The dealer stated that this particular vehicle was not covered on the list of recalls. There are more than 215,000 Mazda's that have or will be repaired, however I am required to pay a large repair bill to fix a problem that Mazda knows is their problem.

- Xenia, OH, USA

Feb 222011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

While driving my 2007 Mazda 3 the power steering went out. I called the 1-800 number but they said that my car was not under the recall. I think it's too big of a coincidence for this to happen to my car also and not be under the recall.

- Brentwood, TN, USA

Feb 172011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2007 Mazda 3. the contact stated that the upon starting her vehicle the power steering light was illuminated and there were no steering capabilities. The power steering assist would reset itself within minutes and the contact was able to drive the vehicle. The vehicle was inspected by an independent mechanic who advised her that the power steering pump would need to be replaced. The manufacturer was contacted and offered no assistance. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure mileage was approximately 111,000. Updated 06/16/11 the consumer stated a recall was issued for the steering problem. However, his vehicle identification number as not included in the recall. The consumer was informed the power steering pump needed to replaced. Updated 06/27/11

- Greatvine, TX, USA

Nov 282010

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I have a 2007 Mazda3 and the following happens without warning: I lose power-steering assist, the headlights go off, the dashboard resets, and either a fan or motor wears down. After a short stutter it all comes back without restarting the vehicle. Once the power steering assist remained off until the vehicle was turned off while fueling.

- Portland, ME, USA

Jun 162007

I heard of a power steering issue recall and would like to note there is a problem with my 2007 Mazda 3 manufactured in Feb 2007 - which is prior to the recall dates. When the engine is off or stalled the power steering turns off. This has not yet caused a problem, but the steering should remain active until the vehicle speed reaches zero, not just when the engine is running. I fear many people will not notice this until their vehicle is old and stalls unexpectedly - which will disable power steering and could result in a loss of control.

- Geneva, NY, USA

Feb 082009

I have a 2007 Mazda 3 I touring that was purchased in June of 2007. The car was used for highway driving and all maintenance was done at the dealer per described in the owner's manual. On February 8th of 2009, I went out to drive my vehicle only to find that the power steering warning light was on, and I had no power steering. I turned the vehicle off, waiting a few minutes, and checked the fluid level of the reservoir. Seeing that the level was fine, and having waited, I tried turning the car on again, and again no power steering. This issue never went away, and I did some research online. My vehicle was only 2000 miles out of the 36K warranty, so I was very upset. I checked online and found that many other recent Mazda 3 owners were experiencing the same issue. I approached the Mazda dealer with the issue, saying it was barely out of warranty and that others had the same issue. I was firm on them making this right. The car was dropped off at Mazda on 02/10/09 and service was completed on 02/12/09. The part they replaced may still be faulty! the dealer agreed that the part was bad, and the only way they agreed to fix the issue is if I paid for a broken transmission mount (also many complaints online about that) to the tune of $505.99. That transmission mount was still suppose to be covered under the 60K mileage warranty, but seeing as the steering pump was $1,200, it was my best option. So I paid for a warranty covered part to fix a part that is now proven recalled. Now, as of 08/12/10 Mazda has recalled 2007-2010 Mazda 3's and 5's for a problematic and faulty steering pump, but is only covering 2007 Mazda 3 cars manufactured from 04/02/07 - 11/30/08 (recall campaign 10V374000 & NHTSA action number PE10021). My vehicle was manufactured in January of 2007. I feel that the recall issued should be expanded to include all 2007 Mazda 3's, as mine obviously suffered the same issue as in the recall description.

- Oldsmar, FL, USA

Dec 102007

In December 2007 my 2007 Mazda 3 5 door lost steering control and I slid into a telephone pole. Mazda of greatneck would not take my complaint seriously. As I was making a right turn I felt that the steering wheel became extremely loose and would not respond to my turning the wheel.

- Fresh Meadows, NY, USA

Jul 262010

This morning, I was driving my 2007 Mazda3 itouring onto the off ramp from route South to exit 15 in the area of hingham, MA. As I went around the turn to merge onto derby street, my power steering temporarily failed. It resumed functioning properly within 5 seconds.

- Medford, MA, USA

Jun 052010

Loss of power steering while driving.

- Boca Raton, FL, USA