Please take a moment & say thank you by donating $5 or whatever you can to the Center for Auto Safety. Notes: Except for a minor issue with cracked motor mounts, the 2008 MAZDA3 is a fantastic vehicle with a great reputation.

If you need to replace the motor mounts, first ask your dealer if they'll cover it -- the motor mounts were dealt with in a TSB & were recalled for some model years. Otherwise buy aftermarket motor mounts -- owners report this solves the problem. If you use the same OEM parts, they may just crack again.

2008 Mazda MAZDA3 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda MAZDA3:

2008 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 5)

Jan 202011

My car was included in a Mazda recall of the power steering system. Since the repair was completed my steering has performed in an erratic, unpredictable and sometimes dangerous manner. In three trips to the dealer the car performed normally and because no fault codes were generated, no repairs were performed. However this does not negate the fact that the steering is failing and that my safety is being compromised.

- Watauga, TX, USA

Mar 222011

I was driving my 2008 Mazda 3 on I-75 on 3/22/2011 when I suddenly lost the power steering and the car became impossible to steer. I continued drifting to the right uncontrollably, struck a road sign, and ultimately ended up in a ditch. This all occurred 12 days after I took the car to the Mazda dealership to replace the recalled power steering pump. I don't understand how this can happen only 12 days after the power steering pump and pump line were replaced. I wonder if the pump had indeed been replaced or if a new pump was installed correctly. Or maybe the new pump is just as defective as the old pump!!! it will cost $8,000-$10,000 to repair the damage and I am now responsible for the $1,000 insurance deductible. The only good news is that the side impact and head airbags were deployed and that I was not injured badly. I feel that Mazda should be held responsible and should be ashamed of how they have handled this recall. I have read many of the complaints on this site and others and there is no question in my mind that this accident was caused by the failure of the power steering system.

- New Port Richey, FL, USA

Sep 152010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Mazda3. The vehicle was included in the recall associated with NHTSA campaign id number: 10V374000 (steering:electric power assist system). The contact was told by the dealer that the parts necessary to complete the remedy were on short supply. The vehicle was not repaired. The contact also stated that the parts had been on short supply for approximately five months, prevented the vehicle from being repaired. The failure and current mileage was unavailable.

- Eureka, CA, USA

Jan 012011

I was advised of a recall for a potential power steering (#6010H) in September of 2010. Unless you already had the symptoms, they advised to do nothing until a second notice was sent, as parts were in short supply. It would seem 4+ months would be more than adequate time to secure the parts. I drive on windy 2 lane mountainous roads every workday; failure of power steering assist on these roads could be deadly. Why is it taking Mazda so long to correct this problem?

- Thousand Oaks, CA, USA

Jan 192011

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I have a 2008 Mazda 3 with power steering issues. I did get the recall repair fixed in Oct 2010 but the same issue occurred again this week (Jan 19th 2011). I took the vehicle to the dealership and they tell me that it is the electrical part of the recalled pump and not part of the recall. They refused to repair it or show me other cases like this that where taken care of but not mine. I have reviewed close to 1000 complaints and issues where Mazda paid for a loaner car and made car payments until this issue was fixed. I am not wiling to pay $920 for an issue that should be covered 100% by the dealer with this recall. This is very dangerous and I am willing to go to the next step to make sure justice is taken care of before a death happens (more deaths) from the lack of responsibility of Mazda.

- Wheeling, WV, USA

Oct 262010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Mazda3. The contact was driving approximately 32 mph when she attempted to avoid an animal. The contact steered to the left but the vehicle instead violently veered to the left causing her to crash into an embankment. The vehicle proceeded to roll over once crashing and the air bags did not deploy. The contact sustained head injuries as a result. A police report was available. The vehicle was destroyed. The VIN was unavailable. The approximate failure mileage was 10,000.

- Rotonda West, FL, USA

Dec 312010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Mazda3. The contact was driving approximately 60 mph when the steering wheel became abnormally stiff causing the contact limited ability to steer the vehicle. The contact was unable to maneuver the vehicle and was involved in a crash. A police report was available. The contact was not injured. The vehicle was towed to the contacts residence and was not diagnosed for the failure. The vehicle was not repaired. The failure and current mileages was 33,000.

- Boynton Beach, FL, USA

Oct 232010

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Power steering failed on 2008 Mazda 3 causing a crash. Mazda has acknowledged the problem on the vehicle in it's letter to Mazda 3 owners but stated it had no parts to repair the defect. While still waiting for an official recall notice from Mazda, the power steering on our car failed on a busy city street causing the driver loose control of the vehicle which resulted in a crash.

- New Canaanc, CT, USA

Sep 152010

On 9/15/10 my daughter was driving her '08 Mazda3 in NJ on int. 78 when her power steering failed and she lost the ability to steer the car.. the car had to be towed 40 mi. To our mechanic where the mechanic discovered and informed us of the recall. She has not been notified by Mazda of this significant threat to her safety.

- Metuchen, NJ, USA

Jul 292010

Left my car running in drive, when I came back out 10 minutes later the power steering did not work.

- Milford, IL, USA

Aug 212010

My daughter was about to pull out from a parking space in a shopping center when she noticed the steering wheel would not turn for her. I looked at the dash and a light with a steering-wheel and explanation point was showing. I told her to put the car in park, shut it off and then start it up again. She did and the warning light was still was there and no power-steering. She tried this a couple of times. It was then I called my husband and explained the situation. He called the dealer who told us to bring it right in. After a couple of minutes with it off and switching places, I started it and it was still not working. I had to drive it several miles with no power to the steering-wheel. Wow! talk about taking a step back in time. My daughter could see me struggle to turn the steering-wheel. When I pulled in the driveway the power came back on out of the blue! this is a vehicle I now no longer trust for safety especially at high speeds.

- Malabar, FL, USA

Aug 172010

I have a 2008 Mazda 3. I bought it in 2009 and immediately started having problems with the steering. I heard a loud pop and the steering light came on. The steering wheel was hard to turn so I turned the car off and then turned it back on but the light was still on, so I turned the car off and on several times until the light went off, then I drove it to the dealership and told them the problem. They told me that Mazda does that from time to time to just turn the car off and back on again.I have been having this problem since I bought this car. August 17,2010 was the worst it happen five times while I parked with the engine running waiting on my girls to get out of school. This is very frustrating and something to be done before an accident occurs.

- Phenix, AL, USA

Jan 152009

Power steering function was lost twice last year in my Mazda 3. the pwr steering malfunction light came on and I had little control of the steering function in the car.

- Montclair, NJ, USA

Jul 232010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda 3. the contact was stopped with the brakes depressed when the power steering warning light illuminated. As the contact attempted to accelerate from the stop, the steering wheel became extremely stiff. The contact moved the vehicle off the roadway and shut the engine off. When restarting, the vehicle operated as normal. The vehicle was neither diagnosed for the cause of failure nor repaired. The VIN was not available. The failure mileage was 16,000 and the current mileage was 17,500.

- Danbury, CT, USA

Mar 172010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda 3. the contact stated when driving at 45-50 mph and attempting to brake, the steering wheel would vibrate uncontrollably. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer where the contact was informed that the tires were the cause of the failure. The tires were replaced at the contact's expense. The failure persisted and the contact went back to the dealer for another repair. The manufacturer would not provide any assistance. The failure mileage was approximately 20,000 and the current mileage was approximately 25,000.

- Maspeth, NY, USA

Feb 282010

I have a 2008 Mazda 3. while in Florida last winter I experienced a failure with the power steering during extreme heat and humidity while I was in bumper to bumper traffic. I pulled off into a parking lot with much difficulty. My husband thought maybe due to how hot the outside temperature was, maybe we used up power steering fluid. He was able to drive the car to a nearby auto parts store, bought power steering fluid and added a small amt. He was surprised that it only required less than an ounce. After a rest period, the car regained power steering and we never experienced another problem. We did have a Mazda dealer in Florida check it out and they claimed nothing showed up on the computer. Well, over the 4th of July weekend when we were experiencing a lot of hot, humid weather the same thing happened again. It seemed that after you shut off the motor and allowed the car to cool off, the power steering returned. We contacted the dealer in Pennsylvania where we purchased the car and they insisted we bring it right in as long as the weather wasn't hot. They rented us a car and kept our car for a week to complete repairs. They installed a new power steering pump and new hydraulic fluid lines. So far, we have had not further problems. We could have been in a very dangerous situation if we had been driving at normal speed on the highway when this occurred. Both times, we were almost at a standstill. The only similarities were the extreme heat and humidity and that we were using the air conditioner.

- Dingmans Ferry, PA, USA

May 202010

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda 3. while driving approximately 40 mph, the steering wheel became extremely stiff and the power steering warning light illuminated. The contact was unable to maintain control of the vehicle and was involved in a single car crash. A police report was available. The vehicle was towed to an authorized dealers collision center to repair the body damages. The vehicle was not examined for the cause of failure. The failure mileage was 22,000 and the current mileage was 26,000.

- Plantation, FL, USA

Aug 152010

Power steering light on dash came on then loss of power steering leading to heavy steering. According to owners manual, we were advised to turn off the engine, then back on. Even then, the light came on again and I lost power steering again, leading to very heavy steering. After those two incidents the power steering seems to be working ok. There is plenty of power steering fluid in the reservoir. I called Mazda dealership and explained the issue in detail and was told there is no problem, especially because the light is now off and normal steering resumed - he advised there is no need to bring in the car. This is a safety hazard, especially for someone like my wife who lacks upper body strength. The effort required to turn the wheel without power steering is a lot, even for a man like me. Slow speed steering is almost impossible without power steering.

- Irvine, CA, USA

Aug 092010

2008 Mazda 3 approx 28K miles. After a few minutes of slow moving traffic on a hot day - power steering failed, with warning light on. Looking into this problem on this vehicle - this is a wide spread problem of Mazda vehicles of steering failures in hotter operating conditions. This information is easily seen with a simple internet search. We have an appointment to look into this - but it was funny that there was no acknowledging of a known problem during the initial call.

- Wallkill, NY, USA

Aug 062010

I had just bought my 2008 Mazda 3 and as I was getting ready to leave the dealership with it, when I went to back out of the parking space the car had no power steering when not 1 hour before I took it for a test drive and it was fine. The power steering light was on. When I took it down the road to the service center they stated that this is common for this vehicle when the weather gets hot. It was about 95 degrees that day. The power steering pump was replaced. I told the service manager that I was lucky this didn't happen while I was driving or something serious may have happened. He agreed.

- Eugene, OR, USA