CarComplaints.com Notes: Except for a minor issue with cracked motor mounts, the 2008 MAZDA3 is a fantastic vehicle with a great reputation.

If you need to replace the motor mounts, first ask your dealer if they'll cover it -- the motor mounts were dealt with in a TSB & were recalled for some model years. Otherwise buy aftermarket motor mounts -- owners report this solves the problem. If you use the same OEM parts, they may just crack again.

2008 Mazda MAZDA3 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda MAZDA3:

2008 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments (Page 5 of 5)

May 152010

MAZDA3

We bought our Mazda 3 in August of 2008. We live in ct and my son goes to college in ri. He has the car with him. He has complained numerous times that he has no power steering. Just recently the power steering was lost on I-95 when he was exiting. This is a very dangerous situation and it seems Mazda is aware of it but has not ordered a recall.

- Northford, CT, USA

MAZDA3

Loss of power steering: (2 times) -- on two different occasions I had lost the power steering in my 2008 Mazda 3. the first time was during the summer of 2009. After the car was idling for about 10 minutes, I went to drive off and there was no power steering. I turned the car off and checked the belts. Everything seemed fine. I then started the car and the steering was working like normal. The second time was in April of 2010. I was in stop and go traffic for a little while. After the traffic cleared I was getting up to speed and steering became very difficult to steer. I pulled over, shut the car off and restarted a few minutes later. Steering was back to normal. I brought my car into the dealership for scheduled oil change a few days later and told them about my steering incident. They looked at the power steering components and noticed an ¿issue.¿ the dealer kept the car a few days for the new power steering component part to come in. They replaced the part and gave me a loaner vehicle free of charge.

- New Bedford, MA, USA

Apr 282010

MAZDA3

Power steering failure while driving resulting in extreme difficulty to steer out of the way of oncoming traffic to get onto the shoulder. Mazda is replacing the power steering pump, covered under warranty, as the car has only 26,000 miles on it.

- Laurel, MD, USA

Apr 082010

MAZDA3

2008 Mazda 3, I was simply parked and restarted my car and the power steering failed. My car has less than 4000 miles on it. I did an internet search and found many many other people have had the same problem, all with "new" cars (less than 12000 miles). I was told the power steering pump failed, and there is a "national backorder" in their words. If there is so many places ordering power steering pumps, id think a recall should be ordered before someone gets hurt.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

MAZDA3

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda 3. while driving approximately 5 mph, the contact noticed that the power steering light illuminated and the steering wheel locked. When the failure occurred the contact had to use extreme force to turn the wheel. The vehicle was taken to a service center where she was informed that the failure was in the power steering mechanism. The contact called the dealer and was told that they could not offer her any assistance. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed. The current and failure mileages were approximately 48,000.

- Locust Grove , VA, USA

Apr 012010

MAZDA3

We own a 2008 Mazda 3S, purchased in summer, 2008. It currently has 43,000 miles. Recently, I was driving in heavy traffic and the power steering failed. I had to drive the rest of the way home with no power steering. The next morning, the car was fine, but the following day, the ps failed again. I contacted the dealer, who knew exactly what the problem was, even without inspecting my car. We were told the power steering pump, electric charger, and all lines would need to be replaced at a cost of $950. We researched this problem online and discovered that Mazda issued a tsb about this. As we looked further, we discovered that this has been an ongoing issue for this car, with numerous complaints as early as may, 2009. Several people were without their cars for months because the parts were back-ordered. Some people stated that their dealer told them there was a backup of 600 orders for this problem. This is certainly a safety issue, as accidents could occur easily with sudden failure of power steering. I feel fortunate that I did not have an accident, and I cannot believe that there has not been a recall for this problem. Because of Mazda's lack of ownership of this issue, I have to pay to repair something that is clearly a manufacturer defect. I am confident that, if you look into this issue, you will find numerous repairs and people who were placed in unsafe situations because they had no idea that this problem could happen. Thank you for your consideration.

- Parkville, MD, USA

MAZDA3

Was driving in heavy traffic going about 5 to 10 miles per hour at each braking interval. Was ready to move again and heard a funny plastic click noise from the front. Thought something was wrong with the latch to steering wheel or had run over something on the road. Went to turn the well to make sure nothing was there and steering wheel began to stiffen extremely. After a few seconds a warning light came up in the dashboard that was of a steering wheel and a exclamation mark. Was able to brake and roughly turn the wheel to pull to the left median out of traffic. Went to glove box and pulled out vehicle manual and looked up the warning indicator that lit. It tells you to pull over and park safely and to turn the vehicle completely off to see if the warning will go out or stay on. I turned my vehicle off and gave it a few seconds and turned it back on. It went out and the power steering was restored. I called the dealership and was told they have recently heard of this issue and to bring it in sometime this week if possible. I told them I would bring it in that morning. I took it to them and when waiting to sign papers and turn over my keys was told another customer in front of me was having the same issue with their vehicle. The dealership says the repairs are at no cost to me and they offered to give me a rental car during repairs. One day to have repair kit done.

- Waldorf, MD, USA

Mar 052010

MAZDA3

1) stopped for fuel. Turned car off. Everything had been operating fine up to this point. 2) turned car on after refueling. Power steering light came on immediately and power steering was inoperative. Tried turning car off and back on two or three times to no avail. After approximately 1 hour of driving without power steering, stopped again for lunch. Turned car off. 3) after lunch, turned car on. Power steering seemed to be once again operating properly. This is the second time I have had this issue since the car was purchased new in 8/2008.

- Chesapeake, VA, USA

Jan 102009

MAZDA3

Power steering was cutting out at random times. Dealer has replaced power steering pump motor.

- Slidell, LA, USA

Feb 152010

MAZDA3

Power steering cutting out at random times. Very hard to steer. My young grand daughter almost had a crash. Power steering cut out three times before I got it to the dealer. (replaced power steering motor -see 10315633 from the same complainant).

- Slidell, LA, USA

May 282009

MAZDA3

I was driving a 2008 Mazda 3 which I purchased new. It had about 25000 miles. I was driving around a curve when the power steering suddenly went out. I crossed the double yellow line nearly causing a crash since I wasn't prepared for such a hard turn. I contacted Mazda service department and they stated they were aware of the defect and they sent a tow truck for it. I was given another Mazda 3 for a replacement while mine was being fixed. After roughly two weeks of driving it the exact same issue. I was once again driving down the road and the power steering went out. They once again sent a tow truck and gave me a different car for a replacement. While talking to the service manager where I bought my car they said they were aware of this problem. The issue was defective power steering lines. These lines corrode from the inside and then get into the power steering pump causing it to fail. It took them six weeks to get my car back to me. They said it took so long to get it repaired because they are having trouble finding that many replacement parts.

- Cincinnati, OH, USA

May 212009

MAZDA3

The power steering in my 2008 Mazda 3 failed the day before my brother was supposed to take it for his road test. My car has been sitting at my dealership for 4 weeks now, and the new estimate time for the parts replacement is mid-July. According to them, they have over 40 cars in their parking lot alone waiting for the same part. And Mazda usa has yet to recall it. They provided me with me loaner car, free of charge, but I am only 20 years old so my mother had to use it and I have to use her vehicle. It has created a bit of stress seeing as she drives a Ford Expedition and the gas is twice as much as mine. And I have just received my second monthly bill in which I do not even have my car.

- Wrentham, MA, USA

May 282009

MAZDA3

After idling for about 10 minutes in a parking lot, the power steering light came on and the wheel locked. After cooling down, was able to steer and drive to dealer. Three weeks later, the car has not been repaired because parts are on back order with no estimated time of shipping.

- Garland, TX, USA

May 192009

MAZDA3

Power steering failure, when idling or driving for long periods of time the power steering light illuminates and locks up during operation. This happened to me on the highway while doing 65mph with my family in the car which almost caused a three car pile up because the driver in front of me stopped short luckily the shoulder was empty and I was able to pull to the left with all my strength.

- Sayville, NY, USA

May 202009

MAZDA3

2008 Mazda 3 has electronic variable orfice in the power steering system the fuse that controls this valve blew for the first time on May 11th, 2009. It has blown 2 additional times, including today in rush hour traffic. Unlike other manufacturers, when this fuse blows, the valve closes, cutting off all flow to the rack, disabling the power assist. When the fuse blew today, I was in the middle of an intersection, turning left. I had to struggle to turn sharp enough to avoid hitting a car waiting to go straight. The valve should have been designed to stay open when power is removed, which would cause the assist to be at is greatest amount, not losing all assist by closing.

- Angier, NC, USA

Apr 202009

MAZDA3

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda 3. while the contact was parking the vehicle, the power steering light illuminated on the instrument panel and the steering wheel locked. The vehicle was towed to the dealer for repairs and has remained there for two weeks because the parts are on back order. The current and failure mileages were 17,000.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Jul 192008

MAZDA3

During parallel parking practice with brand new (less than 500 miles on car) Mazda3 sedan (2.3) for a driver license exam, electronic power steering assist failed multiple times, rendering steering completely inoperable (cannot even steer manually since steering resistance is extreme). No dashboard lights indicating a problem. Upon turning ignition off and then immediately restarting car, steering would recover but then fail again several minutes later. Car also developed high-pitched whistling sound, source unclear. Dealership examined car and claims steering unit ok (although code indicated power steering malfunction) and is safe to drive. Dealership hypothesizes that electronic power steering assist unit overheated and suggests not turning steering wheel to extremes for more than 5 seconds--however, the steering failed at times when steering wheel was not turned to extreme (wheels straight), and if this is an "accepted" or "expected" finding in these cars it seems the safety margin for such a system failure is very low. Dealership cannot explain high-pitched whistle noise or failure of dashboard light to indicate steering system failure.

- Glen Gardner, NJ, USA