2009 Mazda MAZDA3 miscellaneous problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2009 Mazda MAZDA3:

2009 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Jan 052015

My car does not have a key lock on the passenger side. The door can only be unlocked by the driver's side or by a key remote. I do not have a remote. Because the passenger side can only be opened by the driver's side this creates a risk of injury for the driver, as well as passengers who are dependent on the driver. For example, my mother is 80 years old and deaf. She needs assistance walking. When I need to unlock the car, I have to leave her unattended on the passenger side or bring her with me to the driver's side then walk back to the passenger side. Another example would be if I need to unlock my car when there heavy traffic on the street side (driver's side) before I can put my dog's in the car, I have to leave my dogs unattended, or bring them into the street with me. When traffic is heavy, my only method to unlock the car is to go into heavy traffic. I have noticed there are many car manufacturers not installing a key lock on the passenger side. I can't understand the reason for this other than saving on costs. Nowadays most car keys are coupled with a remote to unlock the car. However, if the remote should fail, the driver can only unlock the car from the driver's gain entry. This poses a dangerous risk to the driver and passengers. To replace a faulty remote costs approximately $150. I believe this approach to gain car entry is defective and can result in injury or death. There is a strong inference that car manufacturers are deliberately not installing a key lock on the passenger side to save on manufacturing costs and also make money by having the consumer buy a remote. I respectfully request you look into this matter. Your time and efforts are greatly appreciated.

- Carlsbad, CA, USA

Jun 262013

Three out of four tire pressure monitors have failed causing tire deflation. The first two times this was discovered in my driveway.upon trying to re-inflate the low tires I found that the tire pressure monitors just fell away into the interior of the tire. My tire dealer was able to reinstall the monitors(only to have them fail again later) my complaint stems from the incident (after I have stewed about it for a while) that happened on 6-26-2013. My wife, with daughter, had a blowout on interstate 75 at rush hour in a driving rain storm. Of course it was a harrowing experience getting the vehicle to the shoulder. Luckily a less experienced driver was not at the wheel. When I arrived to change the tire I decided to try and re-inflate it first to try and get to a safer location. Once again the tire pressure monitor fell to the interior of the tire!!! my tire dealer (tire discounters walton ky) told me that the threads on the stem that holds the monitor to the wheel corrodes and eventually cracks the nut holding the monitor. What a piece of junk. I still have the old monitors and indeed the corrosion looks like something that comes from a dissimilar metal on metal contact. This is a major safety concern in my opinion and I should have complained as soon as I could but I really think that nothing will come of it. I almost paid for new monitors(decided to just replace with plain stems on my own as I do not trust, nor do I want to finance Mazda any further), I lost a tire due to the highway incident and I found out that this is no surprise to the tire store.

- Warsaw, KY, USA

Aug 142013

Two of the TPMS (tire pressure monitoring S___?) sensors were cracked and replaced at a discounted cost to me of $325. The car is only 4 years old with under 52,000 miles and two of them crack at the same time (!). the Mazda dealer said that they get a number of these problems and that they think it is due to poor quality metal being used. This is clearly a safety issue since they crack too early in the life of the vehicle and the customer has no way of determining this or even knowing how or where to look. I am now very nervous about the remaining two.

- Woodcliff Lake, NJ, USA