4.3

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 accessories - exterior problems

accessories - exterior problem

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mazda MAZDA3:

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Feb 192014

MAZDA3

While driving about 60 mph on the freeway I heard a loud bang and shattering sound followed by rushing wind. The sound was right by my head and I saw shards of glass flying in my rearview mirror. I pulled over to the side of the road to see what happened. The sunroof had shattered on my 2012 Mazda 3. I only had about 20000 miles on it. No one was injured because I had the cloth interior closed, but had I been driving I could have easily taken glass in the face and crashed. My sunroof was defective and Mazda claims it has no responsibility in the matter. They say it must have been caused by a pebble even though there were no other cars around and I was driving at 5:30 in the morning. Their reason for this belief is that if they are defective they "usually break earlier."

- Ridgeland, MS, USA

Jan 132014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

While traveling approximately 35 - 40 mph (accelerating) on a long winding wooded rural interstate onramp, no other vehicle traffic nearby, the sunroof (closed at the time) literally buckled upward and exploded outward. It was very loud like a shotgun. At the time it happened, it gave both myself and my daughter the impression that someone had fired a gun at us and we did not stop until we reached the next exit. We were very rattled by the incident. There was definitely no previous damage to the glass and no rock or other foreign object involved. The glass that was expelled flew up and out behind the vehicle except for some glass pieces that stayed on the roof and the trunk. Very little of the approximately 8"X10" section of missing glass fell in the tray beneath. If this had happened while we were in heavy traffic at higher speeds, or even if my teenage daughter had been driving at the time, I'm not sure it wouldn't have caused a serious accident.

- Springfield, LA, USA