5.0

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mazda MAZDA3:

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Dec 082012

MAZDA3

When downshifting (manual transmission) from 3rd to 2nd as I was slowing down because of a red light, the engine RPM went way up, maybe around 4,000 RPM. I pressed the clutch to avoid the car jerking forward and hitting the car in front of me. This was the third time this actually happened. I bought the car new and have only owned it 5 months.

- Richmond Hill, GA, USA

Feb 102012

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The car sometimes surges during downshifting. I will be driving in moderate traffic in third gear. The traffic slows, and I let in the clutch and apply the brake. When the traffic starts to pick up again, I am going too slow for third, so I shift into second and let the clutch out. My right foot is just resting lightly on the gas pedal. The car has not been idling fast, but as soon as the clutch is engaged, the engine suddenly roars and the car leaps forward, even though I have not pressed the gas at all. I let in the clutch again to avoid an accident. When I let it out again, it works normally. This happens once, twice, or not at all in a 40-mile round trip out of town and back. It also happens frequently when I make a left turn without stopping, but where I need to slow and downshift. I coast into the turn with the clutch pedal in, shift down, and attempt to let the clutch out when coming out of the turn. I would expect the car to slow when I shift down unless I am pressing the accelerator, but something other than me is giving it gas. It is impossible to predict when this will happen, and it never happens twice in a row. I have made it happen on purpose, but I think that was pure luck. It happens when downshifting into any gear, but because of the heavy traffic in our area, it ends up usually being third to second. It has happened to me when downshifting into third or fourth also.

- San Francisco, CA, USA

Jul 032012

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Driving home last night (on the freeway) at approximately 9:45 pm I attempted to accelerate to make a lane change. I noticed the car wasn't moving any faster the only thing I heard was the engine gunning. The car was slowing down in very fast traffic and I immediately put my hazards on while trying to move the gear shift which was stuck. Its a miracle that I didn't get hit trying to get tnate to have it apoenhis vehicle over to the right shoulder which I eventually did. I removed a small cover beside the gear shift inserted a screwdriver in the hole and was able to release the shift. I put it in park, turned the car off for about a minute. Started the car and shifted it to drive but the car jerked back and the gear shift is stuck again. I had to be towed home. This was a very dangerous and frightening situation for a male adult and would hate to have this happen to a single mother with children in the car. This is not the only time the gears have locked. I was fortunate to have it happen in my driveway and was able to unlock with the method I described above. I feel this really should be looked into.

- Alhambra, CA, USA

Apr 222012

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I was driving a steady 55 mph on the freeway on a dry sunny day with my wife and kids. The roads were smooth and dry, and the gas tank was 1/2 full. The car was 3 months old with 2700 miles on it. The car suddenly lost power and started to decelerate. The engine was still running, but pressing the gas pedal had no effect on engine RPM or vehicle speed. I looked down and the stability control light was on (steady lit, not blinking). I thought that maybe the stability control was confused, so I tried hitting the stability control switch to turn it off. No luck, the light was still on and the car continued to slow. I then moved the shift lever over to manually select gears since I though maybe the tranny was stuck in 6th gear - no luck as the display didn't even show what gear it was in. There was no freeway exit in sight and I was not able to coast to the next exit. I finally pulled over the car at less than 30 mph dodging cars zooming by at 60 mph. I turned off the car and restarted. The stability control light was now finally off and I was able to drive off.

- Fremont, CA, USA