2012 Mazda MAZDA3 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mazda MAZDA3:

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Feb 082016

There is a problem with the door sensor on the rear passenger door. At random intervals the interior lights will turn on and the dash indicates that the rear passenger door is open after the doors automatically lock due to speed. This will continue until I unlock the doors. Unfortunately they relock automatically if I stop for a traffic light and then accelerate. The interior lights come back on and the dash indicates the door is open again as soon as my speed is sufficient to make the doors automatically lock again. This is a nuisance during the day but a major distraction at night. Having the interior lights suddenly turn on while driving at 10 pm in the rain is horribly distracting and a little scary. This will sometimes occur for 2-3 days in a row and then not happen again for 2-3 weeks. My car has only 38000 miles on it but the dealer says this isn't covered under any warranty.

- West Deptford, NJ, USA

Feb 232015

I drove over bumpy rail road tracks, went to give it gas to go and engine revved but no acceleration. Dash light that normally says D was blank. Shifted to manual mode and attempted to up or down shift but dash light still blank and no shifting possible. The car was running in nuetral but the gear selector was in drive or in manual mode. Had to coast to the side of the road. Noted traction control light was on while shift selector indicator was blank. I put the car into park, turned car off and then on again and seemed to drive ok at this point after this. I was lucky that I was driving at a slow speed and had room to get off the road. If I had gotten stuck on the tracks this could have been much worse. And the dealer says they can do nothing unless there is a code stored. No code so nothing I can do. This ranks up there in level of danger yet Mazda can do nothing?

- Elmhurst, IL, USA

Jan 012015

MAZDA3 4-cyl

My wife was driving on the freeway - I was on the passenger side. This is the first time it happened. The car lost sort of reset itself - dash warning lights came on (according to my wife). Radio/cd stopped music - ABS light went on (that's all I can see from passenger side). My wife said others too but she was focused on the road because it was a construction zone. She was nervous and said the car was not responding to throttle. Luckily all went back to normal after 2 or maybe 3 seconds. The music came back on also. No check engine light or any sign of trouble. We pulled over and I checked the front to see if we hit something that could have caused it. Restarted the car - all seemed normal and reached our destination. This was our first 200 mile trip or more on this car. 1 day after arrival - I did a once over safety check (fluids, tire pressure, etc) nothing out of the ordinary. Got my obd2 code reader and it had the following U3003 U0140 U0428. So I will take this to our dealer for checkup.

- Hilliard, OH, USA

Jan 172014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

While driving at night, all the electrical system in the car shut off for a split second, including but not limited to the headlights, audio system, interior lights, and dashboard. The electronics recovered after the split second, and the car ran normally. The engine was not affected. This issue recurred one month later.

- Flagstaff, AZ, USA

Sep 012013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

While driving at approx. 45 mph with cruise control engaged; the headlights turned off for about 2 seconds then came back on. When the headlights came back on the traction control light illuminated. The whole issue gave the appearance of part of the electrical system losing power and the power then being restored. During the incident the engine did not appear to lose power, nor did the cruise control disengage.

- Francis Creek, WI, USA