2012 Mazda MAZDA3 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2012 Mazda MAZDA3:

2012 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Jul 162015

As I was driving the power steering light came on, and I lost all power steering. I pulled over and checked the fluid, it was fine. When I got back in and drove the light went out. I called the dealer and explained what happened, made an appointment, took my car in and they said they couldnt get the car to do it again so just watch it. About a month later the car did it again but I was traveling at about 67 miles an hour, and lost power steering! the light stayed on long enough for me to record what what happening and to drive to the dealer. Again the light went out as I entered the dealership and they said there werent any codes on the car nor were there any in the memory. This is dangerous as I was turning into the dealer, the power steering turned back on and I almost spun in a donut because I was turning the wheel really hard due to no power at the time. Its annoying and I would really like to have it fixed but nobody can tell me what it is!

- Elbert, CO, USA

May 172015

My car was T-bone, it should not have been driven. My daughter was made to drive the damaged car home instead of using a tow truck to take it to the nearest body shop. The suspension was bent completely inwards (doughnut tire was used to drive the car home with a bent suspension). I was told by the insurance company to drive the car to the nearest shop they do business with, and I did. I asked the supervisor/adjuster to total the car before ever seeing the internal damage. I knew the car could not be repaired back to the way it was, almost new condition. We went back and forward about totaling the car. He refused to total only after pleading with him, he agreed to do so. After seeing the car stripped from lid of trunk, tires off, I saw the right tire completely bent inward. I was told it was supposed to be that way. I told the adjuster I did not want the car that it is destroyed, again I asked him to total the car. He said no, the car could be repaired. I was assured by the body shop owner that he would repair it back 100%. he did not. The shop kept my car approx. 2 months from the 15 days promised to be fixed. I picked up the car on 6/24/15. My daughter and I examined it and the back seat pulled away from the back and base of the seat; would not stay locked down. It pulled completely away from the back, out, and up; tail lights did not work; suspension was unbalanced, the car pulled left. The right suspension was lower about 5/8" lower than the left suspension; nail in tire which made the tire sensor light stay on; car smelled offer inside; it was not washed before given back to me; paint had dripped and dried up at the base of the car where repair work had been done; right door did not align; back panel did not align; suspension was not coated, left to rust out; radio had beeping sound when changing stations; my daughter has 13 month old who rides in the car.

- Midway, FL, USA

Jan 182015

MAZDA3 4-cyl

After a mechanics check it was found: 1) slight feathering/edgewear/cupping on all tire's and 2) power steering warning light on ign on however clears on engine start. This is all despite full maintenance history as per Mazda guidelines. The problem causes significant tire noise when driving. Although tire thread on the vehicle is at 87%, it was recommended to replace all four tires at time of inspection. Wheel alignment shows the vehicle is within factory guidelines for the vehicle. Possible issue could be flaws in shock/strut manufacturing as the vehicle is well within replacement timeframe for these parts.

- Mountain View, CA, USA

Dec 192014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Driving at approx 45mph, car lost acceleration, power steering, and multiple engine lights on. Car moved to site of the road and towed to dealer.

- Temple Terrace, FL, USA

Feb 192014

The contact owns a 2012 Mazda, Mazda3. The contact stated that while driving approximately 25 mph, the power steering assist failed with the illumination of the warning indicator. The steering wheel became difficult to turn. The vehicle was maneuvered to the side of the road where the engine was turned off. The malfunction continued upon restarting. The vehicle was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not notified of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 30,000.

- Chicago, IL, USA

Jun 052013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

When I drove the car, the power assist lost which made me so hard to turn and control the steering wheel.

- Chino Hills, CA, USA

Jul 152012

The contact owns a 2012 Mazda3. The contact stated that it was difficult to start the vehicle. After the vehicle was started and while driving 15 mph, the power steering, traction control, and anti-lock brakes failed. Moments later, the accelerator pedal became unresponsive. The contact stated that the failures recurred numerous times. The vehicle was taken to the dealer for diagnosis on multiple occasions and the battery was replaced several times but the failure could not be located. The failures recurred. The vehicle was awaiting additional diagnostics. The manufacturer had not been notified. The failure mileage was 16,000 and current mileage was 20,000.

- Edgewater, FL, USA