2013 Mazda MAZDA3 engine problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2013 Mazda MAZDA3:

2013 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

Dec 272015

While driving the car engine suddenly turns off. Radio and headlights remain on, but power steering stops functioning. This has happened 5 times, 4 times on surface streets and once merging onto the highway. Local Mazda dealership could not find anything wrong the two times I have taken it in. There is no code being displayed.

- Santa Cruz, CA, USA

Mar 082015

A few weeks ago, the low battery indicator came on indicating that I needed to replace my key fob battery. My car has a keyless ignition/ push-button start. I replaced the battery in each of my key fobs about a week later. After an additional week, my car will not start with either key fob. The dashboard states that the key is not found, even though I replaced both key fob batteries. I had to take the ignition cover off and insert the key to start the car. Mazda is charging me $100 just to get this looked at.

- Olathe, KS, USA

Mar 042014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I started the car and the check engine light came on. Shifted into gear the "at" light came on. Brought it in for service and they need to replace the "trans valvebody". looks like a recurring theme here. The car is a 2013 Mazda3 I grand touring hatchback that is only about 7 months old and has less than 7000 miles.

- Jamaica Plain, MA, USA

Nov 262013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

I am a fire investigator with lexington fire department. I responded to a structure fire on the listed date. It was determined that the fire originated in the engine compartment of the vehicle and spread to the building. The vehicle belongs to hertz rental car. The individual renting the vehicle reported that he had experienced problems shutting the engine off and that the vehicle had turned on after he turned it off. He reported he had parked, left the vehicle and it was running when he returned. No recalls were located for this vehicle.

- Lexington , KY, USA

Nov 222013

On Friday 11/22/13 4pm I went to get my oil changed and car serviced. It was the end of the day & the technicians leave at 5pm. After I received my car at 5:10pm, I decided to take side streets to go pick up my brother, instead of taking the freeway. The car started slowing down and eventually stalled in the middle of the intersection. The engine light and the traction control system (tcs) turned on. I got to the side & called the Mazda tuttle-click in irvine, ca service center. He told me since the engine light wasn't blinking that it wasn't a serious problem & call again or take it back tomorrow morning if it started blinking. I took the car out again & immediately the check engine light started blinking. I stopped in a parking lot & called again. They eventually agreed to take the car back to run diagnostics. On 11/25/13 I called back to ask if my car was ready to be picked up. They said they were waiting for a transmission valve part to come in. If this isn't related to human error and it was pure coincidence, then that's a big coincidence. Also, the car would've stalled on the freeway on my way back to san diego if I hadn't gone to pick up my brother.

- San Diego, CA, USA

Sep 102013

MAZDA3 4-cyl

My new 2013 Mazda3 with only 3660 miles failed on a busy highway. First, the engine made a loud noise every time I shifted gears (manual shift.) then, I could not change gears at all, and the engine failed----I just barely got it to the shoulder before it quit entirely. The dealer says the clutch needs to be replaced. I've had the car less than 6 months.

- Linwood, NJ, USA