2014 Mazda MAZDA3 electrical problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2014 Mazda MAZDA3:

2014 Mazda MAZDA3 Owner Comments

May 012014

I was driving on the freeway and decided to pass a diesel truck to get over in to the exiting lane on the right.... I started to pass the diesel and realized that I would need to pass faster to make the exit... I pushed the gas pedal in harder to accelerate and as I was picking up speed my car just locked up.... it felt like the car stalled..... and the car went off.... I had to very quickly pull out of the lane and to the side of the road as the car was no longer operating... I narrowly missed being plowed by the diesel truck... and was able to pull off to the side. I tried to restart my car by pushing the button and it wouldn't restart an all these light were lighting up in the console. I had to wait about 10 mins and finally my car came back on.

- Clovis, CA, USA

Aug 302014

Car has died three two times and it is less than a year old. There are a lot of complaints like mine on the internet. Please look into this safety issue.

- Chapel Hill, NC, USA

May 192015

The contact owns a 2014 Mazda 3. while driving at approximately 50 mph, the speedometer decreased to zero and the accelerator pedal was depressed but the vehicle did not accelerate. All of the warning lights illuminated. The failure recurred four times. The vehicle was taken to a dealer where it was not diagnosed or repaired. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was approximately 6,700.

- Feguin, TX, USA

Jul 172014

A few times when starting up the vehicle, the Mazda emblem pops up slowly, then fades away, and the lcd system screen will continue to be a blank, black screen with no response until I restart the car. About 7-10 times it has happened where I'm driving and all of a sudden the music will stop, then the lcd screen shows a Mazda emblem, and the system reboots itself. I'm taken notes and have tried to find commonalities when this happens, but have not yet. I've mentioned it each time I get a Mazda oil service, but the techs never find anything. I also have video recording of one of the instances where it lasted particularly long.

- Faribault, MN, USA

Nov 172014

My car is equipped with a push to start/stop (keyless) "feature". I pulled my car into the garage last night (with the radio off), pressed the start/stop button to stop the engine, and went inside. When I woke up this morning, the car was still running, all night inside my attached enclosed garage. Co meter measure non-zero ppm levels a few hours after shutting the car off. Other then the radio, there are no obvious non-audible indications that the engine is running / not running. Additional expectation would be the car should be smart enough to automatically shut itself off after idling for extended period of time. Mine was running in the garage for about 6.5 hours.

- Nowthen, MN, USA

Sep 262014

I have had two continuous issues with my 2014 Mazda 3; the navigation system shuts down and then begin a cycle of continuously shutting down a rebooting and the heads up display at times does not pop up when I start the vehicle.the only way to stop this is to pull over, shut off the car and then start it back up again (this generally fixes both the navigation and hud issue, although these issues do not seem to be related as the have not occurred at the same time before.) this certainly seems like a software issue as rebooting does fix the problem. This happened multiple times and mostly occurs at the end of long trips, when I need it most. In some instances this has led me to take wrong turns in heavy traffic or forced me to pull over in heavy traffic in order to figure out where I am going. Mazda needs to deal with these issues as they can pose a safety hazard to those following the navigation directions. As always do not depend solely on a navigation system, especially the one in the 2014 Mazda3. It will enter into a cycle of continually shutting down and rebooting when you need it most. I have brought my vehicle to a dealer to update the software to the latest version a few months ago, it did not fix the problem. I went to a dealer for a recent oil change I mentioned the problem and they did not even seem to know what the latest software version was or why I would want it updated. I hope that most dealers would update the software for a car under warranty when they complete an oil change, or at the very least know and make the customer aware a newer version of the software is out so an update can be scheduled. I plan to complete this update, but no one at the Mazda service center I went to was able to tell me what the update changed/fixed. I am highly disappointed in the vehicle's navigation and hud. Caveat emptor when buying a year one model.

- Meadville, PA, USA

Jun 022014

There is a serious issue with the reception for the radio. It constantly fades in and out and is so bad that I cannot use my radio in a large metropolitan area. I brought the car in to the dealer to recreate the issue and they said that they couldn't hear it.

- Minneapolis, MN, USA

May 072014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

On May 7, 2014, at approximately 11:00 pm I parked in a parking space, on a hill, at towson woods apartment complex. I turned the car off with the emergency brake engaged at over 3/4 of the way up. I was standing about 10 feet outside my car, which was off and stationary, talking to a friend for approximately 10-15 minutes when my car started to roll backwards of its own Accord. I attempted to push it, which failed, and then I jumped into the drivers seat and tried to pull the emergency brake up as far as it could go, which did not stop the car. It then crashed into the bumper of another car. Because the wheel had been turned to the left when I parked, the car had rolled at an angle so that only the right side bumper made contact with the other car?S big aluminum bumper that sticks out. After driving the car out from against the bumper, I found there to be cosmetic damage that included the bumper sticking out. (estimate $855) May 16, 2014 at 9:00 am. After approximately an hour and a half I was told that the technicians found that the emergency brake applied when the handle was applied all the way up, which they termed "within normal operation." However, for ?peace of mind, ? they told me that they tightened the brake so that now it only goes up 5 clicks. The actual wording used is ?tech made minor adjustment so ebrake does not go all the way up.? on May 21, 2014, at approximately 7:05 pm, I started my car and a flashing light on my dashboard appeared. This is the ?bsm off" light, in regards to the blind spot monitoring. I read the manual and it said to clean the area where the bsm sensors are, which I did. It still was malfunctioning so I did the next step in the manual, which was to take the car to the dealer. Estimate $250 on June 2 the problem happened again. The parking brake goes all the way up. We are taking it back to the dealer again to have it fixed.

- Towson, MD, USA

Apr 152014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

Has anyone else had problems with the radio system. My radio fades in and out continuously. It plays fine when I use the cd player or play pandora but when I play the radio it is horrible!

- Granite City, IL, USA

May 202014

The contact owns a 2014 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that while driving 40 mph, the check engine, traction, air pressure, and brake warning lights illuminated. In addition, the vehicle decelerated. The vehicle was taken to the dealer where the repairs were unknown. The manufacturer was not made aware of the failure. The failure and current mileage was 3,500.

- Lahaina, HI, USA

Apr 112014

MAZDA3 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2014 Mazda Mazda3. The contact stated that while coming to a stop, the vehicle lunged forward. The vehicle was taken to the dealer. The technician stated that the power module needed to be updated. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure. The failure mileage was 7,600 and the current mileage was 9,200. Updated 07/16/14

- Marlboro, NJ, USA