2008 Mazda MAZDA5 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda MAZDA5:

2008 Mazda MAZDA5 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Apr 072010

The power steering on the Mazda 5 fails - no steering and light comes on.

- Wallingford, PA, USA

Apr 032010

We were driving from reagan airport to kensington, Maryland. While changing lanes on I-495, the power steering gave out on our Mazda5 with 39K miles on it. We were able to drive home with great effort. We took the car to the Mazda dealership and they know about this problem, that it is typical for Mazda5S.

- Kensington, MD, USA

Aug 012009

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda5. While the contact was driving approximately 10 mph, the power steering failed without warning. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer. The technician was unable to duplicate the failure. The identical failure occurred eight months after the first occurrence. The vehicle was taken to an authorized dealer twice. The vehicle had not been repaired when the complaint was filed. The failure mileage was 3,000. The VIN was not available. The current mileage was 15,800.

- Mechanicsville, VA, USA

Mar 252010

I was sitting in very slow moving traffic on a surface street, traveled 1/4 mile in approximately a 45 minute time span. As I turned right on to a new street I noticed the steering became very difficult. I immediately took the vehicle to the parking lot to my left. It took great strength to turn the wheel to make the left hand turn. I stopped the car, checked the power steering fluid. It was at proper level. I restarted the vehicle and still no power steering. After sitting for approcimately 15 minutes. I restarted the vehicle again and the power steering had returned. I had the car towed to the dealership. I am reading several reports of similar instances of this occurring in the same make and model of vehicle under similar cirumstances.

- Menifee, CA, USA

Mar 182009

2008 Mazda5 with 55,000mi (90% highway driven). While driving about 20 mph in town the steering wheel all of a sudden became very difficult to turn and I noticed the steering failure light on the dashboard. Pulled to a safe location and called my dealership. The mechanic indicated that it was a voltage trip and if I turned off the car and restarted it would reset and work again. The steering did work after I started the engine and I have driven about 200 miles with no other occurrence. On Friday I had my oil changed at the dealership and when I told them of the problem they indicated that I would have to replace my pump and a length of hose. Why the hose too? its 6,000mi out of warranty. After some internet sleuthing, it seems that this is a very common mechanical failure that Mazda is not dealing with responsibly. Hard to imagine they are not learning from Toyota's and Honda's experience. This is a huge safety issue especially if this failure occurs unexpectedly on the highway while driven by an inexperienced driver. Not sure about now but many owners earlier in 2010 were having to wait over 5 weeks to get a replacement pump due to a backorder issue. I can't believe that Mazda is not proactively doing a voluntary recall. Please investigate this serious problem and suggest to Mazda that replacing the faulty pumps under an extended warranty is good for safety and good for business.

- Bracebridge, 00, USA

Mar 062010

Parked into parking space, when I put it in reverse to back up and drive away the power steering suddenly turned off and an orange caution light turned on my dash board, the power steering did not work during the drive home. After some research it seems that this a recurring problem with the Mazda 5.

- Homestead, FL, USA

Jan 012010

Power steering failed while driving downhill in a parking garage.

- Detroit, MI, USA

Dec 092009

MAZDA5 4-cyl

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda 5. while driving 30 mph the power steering warning light illuminated and the steering wheel locked. The contact was able to drive with difficulty to the emergency lane. The vehicle was turned off for 30 minutes. When the vehicle was restarted it functioned normally. The dealer stated that they would have to see the warning light illuminated before replacing any parts. The failure has occurred 3 times and no repairs have been made to the vehicle. The failure mileage was 8000. The current mileage is 10,000. Updated 03/16/10 updated 07/12/10.

- Flushing , NY, USA

May 152009

Power steering goes out sporadically. There have been three occasions so far in the past year that the power steering has went out on my Mazda 5. twice I was able to stop the car wait ten seconds and restart the car and it reset. Once it took two hours of sitting off before it reset itself.

- Stephens Cuty, VA, USA

May 222009

Driving for 2 hours of a 4 hour drive, power steering went out on vehicle. I was stopped at a gas station and went to pull out when it happened. It had not happened before and 24 hours later it was working again. Mazda has taken my car for repair and has given me a rental car. However due to the frequency with which this has been happening to the Mazda 5 the parts (pump and pipe) are on back order and my car will not be repaired and returned for 15 weeks. If I were to take possession of my car I would have to sign a waiver that Mazda is not responsible for any accident if it is caused by the part failure.

- Miamisburg, OH, USA