2008 Mazda MAZDA5 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2008 Mazda MAZDA5:

2008 Mazda MAZDA5 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jan 132015

MAZDA5 4-cyl

This is what is going on with my car. I almost had an accident because of the power steering assist is suddenly lost by reducing my ability to steer the vehicle. Mazda said there was no recall on my car so they cant help me. Mazda is recalling certain model year 2007-2009 mazda3 and Mazda5 vehicles manufactured from April 2, 2007 through November 30, 2008. These vehicles may have a condition in which a sudden loss of power steering assist could occur at any time while driving the vehicle. Consequence: Power steering assist is suddenly lost reducing the driver's ability to steer the vehicle as typically expected, and increasing the risk of a crash.

- Houston, TX, USA

Jan 152012

MAZDA5

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda Mazda5. The contact stated that all four tires were wearing excessively due to the factory specifications of the alignment. The manufacturer was made aware of the failure and could not provide any assistance to the contact. The vehicle was not repaired. The VIN was not available. The approximate failure mileage was 60,000.

- Wateroford, OH, USA

Mar 082011

MAZDA5

Took car in due to recall notice for power steering failure for replacement part. New part installed was defective and resulted in loss of steering ability.

- Pasadena, CA, USA

Aug 242010

MAZDA5

On 8/24/10 I was driving in sf city traffic as I neared an intersection, my power steering on my 2008 Mazda 5 failed. I pulled over into a red zone, barely out of traffic, and turned off the car. I read the manual and it suggested turning the car on again. I did but the steering light remained on. I moved the car (with difficulty and no small amount of stress) to a safer location. I called Mazda and they came and towed the car to the dealership. They repaired the car in 4 days time. They told us they were "about" to send out recall notices on the Mazda 5. the next day (8/25) I read in the NY times auto section that the Mazda Corp. In Japan had known about this power steering failure for 2 years. This seems incredible to me, given that the car is barely 2 years old. Luckily nothing happened but 5 minutes before I had been on the freeway going 55 miles an hour. What would have happened if the power steering had gone out then?

- Berkeley, CA, USA

Jul 142010

MAZDA5

Loss of power steering two times on my Mazda 5.

- Melrose, MA, USA

Aug 152010

MAZDA5

First incident, power steering was lost while making a U-turn. Warning light illuminated. Regained power after half an hour. Second incident, attempted to avoid a swerving car, but steering wheel locked up and could not control vehicle. Ended up spinning out and crashed into another car and the center median.

- Orange, CA, USA

Jul 282010

MAZDA5

Power steering failed three times yesterday. Dash light came on and steering got very heavy although I was able to muscle the car through turns. Day was very hot and we were driving in an urban environment. I did what the owners' manual said - stopped and shut off the car, waited a few seconds and restarted the car. In two out of the three instances the power steering light had gone out and the power steering was working. In the other instance the light did not go out and the power assist was not working. The car is working okay now and I am not sure if or when this might occur again. Because of the driving situation at the time and because I am an experienced driver this did not present a grave safety issue; however, had I been driving faster and the road conditions been poor it could have been catastrophic.

- Midlothian, VA, USA

Jul 032010

MAZDA5

Mazda 3 and 5 power steering failure. This is currently covered by Mazda tsb: 06-002/09 I think Mazda should issue a recall for the affected parts. Loss of power steering can be very dangerous for people with limited physical strength.

- Seattle, WA, USA

Mar 262010

MAZDA5

While I was driving my 2008 Mazda 5 in late March 2010, the power steering stopped working. The problem persisted until we got it fixed. The mechanic gave the following diagnostic, C1099 power steering circuit fault hydroelectric power steering pump intermittently shuts down. Mazda tsb references this issue. Recommend perform tsb per Mazda and reevaluate. the repair cost around $1,000.

- Springfield, VA, USA

Jun 282008

MAZDA5

2008 Mazda5 powersteering pump shuts down when hot, Mazda knows about the problem and refuses to recall. Dangerous for small or week drivers. Has occurred 2 times on me in after sitting in traffic. Internet search reveals lots of complaints.

- Arlington, VA, USA

Jun 282010

MAZDA5

Power steering failure at low speed, power steering light comes on. After restart functioned normally.

- Weaver, AL, USA

Jun 182010

MAZDA5

The engine on my Mazda5 was running at idle speed for approximately 10-15 minutes on a warm day. In pulling out of the parking lot, the power steering failed completely and the warning light came on. In researching with other owners, I realized that this is a pervasive problem.

- Flushing, MI, USA

May 072010

MAZDA5

The contact owns a 2008 Mazda 5. the contact stated that on May 7, 2010, the power steering failed and she had to use the manual steering power. The vehicle was taken to a repair shop where the contact was informed that the power steering module needed to be replaced. The vehicle had not been repaired at the time of the complaint. The contact called the dealership and was told that the vehicle was no longer under warranty. The failure mileage was approximately 39,000. The current mileage was approximately 41,000.

- Huntington Station, NY, USA

May 282010

MAZDA5

2008 Mazda5 - 40K miles after idling in parking lot for approx 20 mins, put car in drive and attempted to leave. Power steering light illuminated, wife could not turn wheel at all. Turned off car. I arrived 10 mins later and was able to operate the steering with difficulty.

- Katy, TX, USA

Feb 182009

MAZDA5

Power steering failure. Normal mixed driving, highway & city stop & go, while waiting in a drive thru for coffee, steering wheel became almost immovable, would still turn to normal limits both right & left, however the effort required was very high. Returned car to dealer under warranty noticing that steering effort remained constant throughout the drive. Effort required was not dependent on speed, or direction.

- Loveland, OH, USA

May 262010

MAZDA5

2008 Mazda 5 power steering failure. Normal driving conditions and power steering failed during operation at highway speed. Power steering fluid fine and no other physical signs apparent to cause failure. Power steering resumed once the car was turned off and then on again.

- Staten Island, NY, USA

May 052010

MAZDA5

I was about to parallel park in reverse and the power steering died. A light showed up on the dashboard indicating the same. Because it was a busy street a bunch of cars and bike riders were backing up behind me. I muscled the car into the spot without the power steering. When I shut the car off and restarted it, the power steering worked again.

- Toronto, 00, USA

May 012008

MAZDA5

Car was idling in the garage for about 20 minutes, when I went to back it out of the garage the steering response was extremely heavy (e.g. no power steering) and the power steering warning light on the dashboard was on. I drove without power steering -- very difficult -- for about 10 minutes -- then came home, turned off the engine, and let the car cool. After cooling off the power steering returned and the warning light no longer came on. Various online forums indicate this is a persistent problem with Mazda 3S and 5S, and that the problem has occurred to many vehicle owners while driving. Mazda has issued a tsb, but has not issued a recall. See: [begin technical service bulletin] tsb: 06-002/09 2007-2009 mazda3 and 2007-2009 Mazda5 - heavy steering effort with power steering malfunction indicator lamp on and dtc C1099 applicable model(s)/vins 2007-2009 mazda3 vehicles (not including mazdaspeed3) with vins below (produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008) 2007-2008 jm1bk****** 742201 - 880507 2008-2009 jm1bk****** 100002 - 251982 2007-2009 Mazda5 vehicles with vins jm1cr***** 155672 - 349055 (produced between produced between April 1, 2007 and November 4, 2008) description some customers may feel that the steering effort is hard or heavy with power steering malfunction indicator lamp illumination and dtc C1099 [electro hydraulic power assist steering (ehpas)] stored in memory. This problem is caused by contamination of the system from such things as corrosion getting inside the power steering line, sticking in the power steering pump, and lowering the revolution speed. The system then goes into a fail safe function. Customers having this concern should have their vehicle repaired using the following repair procedure. [end excerpt from technical service bulletin] I am writing because I feel this is a manufacturing defect that Mazda should be required to repair at its expense, not the owners'. thank you.

- Portland, OR, USA

Apr 202010

MAZDA5

I own a 2008 Mazda 5 with just over 50,000 miles on it. I travel in sales, so I am put quite a few miles on per year. In the past month I have experienced 3 occasions where upon starting my car, the power steering light comes on and there is no power steering. Each time, I put the car in park and restart and the light goes out and the power steering returns. Heat seems to play an issue in this. Also, the power steering will not reset after restarting the car unless the air conditioning is first shut off. There is a section in the owners manual that addresses what to do if the power steering light comes on and the power steering fails to respond. This would indicate to me that Mazda has seen this occur. As someone who was in the automotive industry for over 30 years, I have no clue why a auto manufacturer would add electronics to a power steering system. I have contacted my local Mazda dealer and they told me that they have seen this problem before. Apparently, it could be the pump or the hoses to the steering rack and naturally the warranty ends at 36,000 miles. I know pumps run over $ $650 which does not include labor. I am 58 years old and have never had to replace the power steering on any vehicle, especially one with such low mileage. Needless to say I am not pleased.

- Bloomington, MN, USA

Mar 132010

MAZDA5

2008 Mazda5 lost power steering while driving. Ps light came on. Pulled over and turned car off. Waited with engine off for 30 minutes. Ps restored after engine turned back on.

- Alpharetta, GA, USA