2000 Mazda Protege accessories - interior problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2000 Mazda Protege:

2000 Mazda Protege Owner Comments

Dec 042008

Protege LX

This has been a minor problem for me over the last couple of winters, but now it's becoming a big deal. When it is cold outside, my gear shifter does not want to move out of Park. During previous winters, I would simply have to push the button just right or wait about 5-10 for my car to really warm up, and then it would work. Today it took about 40 minutes for my gear shifter to decide to work. I pushed the button probably about 100 times during this time, and pulled on the shifter till I thought it might break, but it just wouldn't move. I've tried opening it and looking for broken pieces, but I didn't find anything that appeared to be wrong. No, I didn't spill any sort of liquid on my center console (heard that a million times). I can't think of anything else that could be wrong. As mentioned, this is only a cold weather problem, and my car is fine during every season except winter. Please help! And please let it be a cheap fix!

- , Tulsa, OK, USA