2.1

2004 Mazda RX-8 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments (Page 2 of 2)

Jun 162010

RX-8

2004 Mazda RX8 manual transmission. The clutch pedal bracket has ripped at the upper outboard bolt to firewall. The clutch pedal return spring inboard retainer clip has broken off, outboard clip is intact but has multiple fractures. The return spring has worn into the bracket about 7 mm. Vehicle owner stated there was a snap like noise and the pedal fell to the floor. The vehicle lost its ability to shift. I have verified that the vehicle will not shift into any gear.. unless you have it in first when trying to start it. Even with clutch pressed in, the starter will force the vehicle forward. The bracket to firewall tear is about 3 inches long.

- Tucson, AZ, USA

Jun 142010

RX-8

Everything started fine. While driving my clutch pedal failed on me and I was unable to properly maneuver the vehicle. Clutch pedal sticks to the ground and the gears get stuck and I have to rip them out. It happened once, because now the car is inoperable. To correct the failure I'm going to replace clutch pedal bracket assembly and possibly an new clutch altogether.

- Culpeper, VA, USA

Feb 022010

RX-8

Driving on the freeway doing posted 55 mph, go do downshift from 6th to 5th gear because I was exiting and when I depressed my clutch pedal it snapped off causing my to not be able to get out of gear. I had to veer off the road kill the engine and wait for aaa to come tow me to a local repair. This is very very dangerous because if I were in town or residential area could of been trouble.

- Sebastopol, CA, USA

Dec 212009

RX-8

I was driving my 2004 Mazda rx 8 home from work when all of a sudden my clutch pedal dropped and my car would not switch gears, luckily I coasted across the intersection. I had my car towed to a Mazda dealership, they told me my entire clutch assembly was destroyed to nothing and my clutch pedal was bent, due to broken bracket on clutch pedal. My extended warranty would not cover the cost, even though it was due to a part that wasn't a wear and tear part. Total cost is $1490.

- Pueblo, CO, USA

Oct 312009

RX-8

I own a Mazda Rx-8 2004 model and I was driving down the interstate on approx 10/31/09. I didn't realize it until I needed to change gears but I realized that my clutch was getting stuck behind my brake pedal and that I could not shift gears properly. I slowed down and after tugging and tugging I was able to switch gears. I stopped the car to call my friends thinking it was a bad clutch but no one could give me a straight answer. I called a tow truck and spent 200 dollars getting it towed and another 180 to get it fixed. The problem had been my clutch pedal bracket. Its made out of material so flimsy that it had snapped from the welds. I think this is a safety hazard and after doing my research I have found that many other people have had this problem. I for one don't want to ever be stuck O the middle of an interstate again.

- Port Royal, SC, USA

Oct 132009

RX-8

It was approximately 11:15 in the night, I was on my way back from a late night food run at mcdonald's. the distance from my residence to mcdonald's is approximately 2.2 miles. As I approached a stop sign, one (1) block away from my residence, I depressed my clutch pedal in order to come to a complete stop, and that is when I heard a loud clattery clang. Immediately after, the clutch pedal felt extremely soft and I found it very hard to change gears. Being that I was so close to home I didn't have time to further examine and evaluate what exactly had happened. Hence, I ignored it parked my car and went inside. The next morning on my regular routine I started my car to go to school, again the clutch felt extremely soft and mushy. Tried to put the gears in reverse but failed. This is when I finally realized that something was definitely wrong. My first inclination was that the clutch disc that had worn, but after further investigation I found that the clutch pedal bracket had broken.

- Danville, VA, USA

Oct 162009

RX-8

I was stopped at a stop sign, start engaging the clutch to go into first gear and I hear a crack. I am in first gear and as I am about to shift into second gear I am unable to do so. I notice that the clutch pedal has no pressure and it is near the brake pedal. From here on I was not able to shift into any gear. So after further inspection I see that the brake pedal is broken and can easily move from left to right. I am just glad that I was on the street because I was on my way to catch the freeway. This is very dangerous and has to be fixed, something bad could have happened and to think I have been driving the car on the highway for long trips is very scary.

- Inglewood, CA, USA

Sep 222009

RX-8

1) nothing just driving it 2) faulty clutch pedal assembly snapped rendering the clutch useless. 3) not yet corrected.

- Columbus, OH, USA

Nov 142008

RX-8

One night when I was leaving work I tried to reverse out of my parking space and my car would not go into reverse. After trying over and over the clutch finally engaged and I was able to back out. A few blocks later I was at a stoplight trying to get the car into first gear and same thing happened. I finally got home and took a look underneath the driver side dash and looked up to see one of the welds on the clutch plate holding the clutch pedal in place had broken. I am waiting to see if a friend who is a professional welder can re-weld it because the Mazda dealership where I live does not weld anything and will only replace the whole unit, which I cannot afford.

- Snohomish, WA, USA

Oct 042008

RX-8

My vehicle has been in and out of the dealership for recalls ect. Last night I started my vehicle and started to leave, backing out of parking lot and the throttle started to surge. I stop turned it off and it stopped. I pulled out onto the highway and when shifted into 2nd gear the throttle stuck and was racing between 3500 and 4000 rpms. I put the clutch in and it pegged out on the RPM gauge, I managed to not hit anyone or anything and pulled off highway called Mazda for assistance, I shut vehicle off and started it back up after a few min to see if it reset itself, started it back up and it just surged and stuck between 3000 and 4000 rpms. I've had numerous problems with this vehicle but nothing like this and frankly I was very lucky. I would greatly appreciate any input or inquiry on this matter, needless to say I don't trust my car anymore.

- Charleston, SC, USA