2.1

2004 Mazda RX-8 drivetrain problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments (Page 1 of 2)

Jun 172015

RX-8

The clutch pedal (already a known problem by Mazda, but no recall has yet been announced) cracked while I was driving last year. I was on hwy 13 in Minnesota and barely got control of my speed (was barely able to maintain use of the clutch) it sat until I could get it repaired, the same pedal is now craking in another spot, working on getting it repaired before it breaks again, this time will reinforce it.

- West Saint Paul, MN, USA

Apr 132015

RX-8

I was slowing down at an intersection and pushed in the clutch pedal to put the car in neutral and slow down. When I did this the clutch pedal snapped and went all the way to the floor. I was unable to use the clutch to shift at this point. I was lucky enough that I was on a downhill slope so I was able to shift into second gear and get enough momentum to drive the rest of the way home, but I was stalled in traffic until I did get the speed I needed to get into gear.

- Killeen, TX, USA

Mar 242015

RX-8

The clutch pedal assembly broke as I was driving in the freeway.

- Watsonville , CA, USA

May 212013

RX-8

I purchased the car in 5/14/2013 after a week or so it started to lose power and misfiring, popping noise, transmission warms up. The gear that I hold and shift just warms up all the time it feels like it might fire up. Then I took the car to a mechanic they couldn't do anything. I took it to Mazda mechanic they charged around 900$. then it didn't fix anything I went another one and they told me loss compression it was 115 that time. I kept driving it and they said I need to rebuild the transmission too.. I paid this car 6500. And now it S all bad. And apparently I need to buy new engine and transmission. I believe it will cost me about 6000$.now its on 129,000miles.

- Hobart, WI, USA

Feb 202014

RX-8

Power steering stopped working when I was turning on to the high way. Making it stiff and hard to turn. Clutch peddle collapsed making it had to shift gears and the clutch ratio is off,

- Windsor , CO, USA

Jan 152014

RX-8

The contact owns a 2004 Mazda Rx-8. the contact stated that while driving approximately 65 mph, the catalytic converter became inoperable. In addition, the vehicle stalled without warning but was able to be restarted. The vehicle was not taken to a dealer or an independent mechanic for diagnosis or repairs. The manufacturer was not made aware of the problem. The approximate failure mileage was 61,000.

- Weatherford, TX, USA

Sep 022013

RX-8

Was driving normal conditions down a 35 mph road when I went to upshift gears and depressed the clutch pedal, I heard a loud pop and the pedal went to the floor. The clutch pedal bracket cracked and popped off due to poor quality and bad engineering, in my opinion. This could have caused the transmission to lock up and cause an accident through loss of control. I was not abusing the vehicle/ have not abused the vehicle.. this item should not break in the manner it did.

- Manahawkin, NJ, USA

Apr 192013

RX-8

While shifting from 4th to 5th gear, I heard a snapping sound come from the clutch pedal, followed by the inability to shift gears because there was no pressure coming from the clutch pedal. The clutch pedal bracket had snapped, causing the pedal to move at an angle and the push rod that leads from the clutch pedal to the clutch master cylinder punctured the clutch master cylinder causing it to fail.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA

Jan 292013

RX-8

2004 Mazda Rx-8 touring with 6-speed manual has a broken clutch pedal. The aluminum clutch pedal weaves left and right. It is on the verge of snapping in half. Placed the car at jax automotive while I purchase a new oem clutch pedal with reinforced brackets from race roots.

- Sterling, VA, USA

Oct 062012

RX-8

The clutch pedal assembly bracket mounted to the fire wall cracked on broke on the left side of the unit causing the clutch to be unusable and unable for any forward or reverse gears to be engaged. Luckily I was pulling off the road into a convenience store when this happened and was able to pull the transmission out of gear and into neutral without use of the clutch. This is dangerous beyond belief and is presently covered by Mazda under an 8 year 100,000 mile warranty extension plan but this should be a mandated safety recall regardless of mileage or year. The factory part is made of tin as best I can tell and can be bent and deformed with bare hands at the point where its bolted to the firewall, a critical mounting point as evidenced by the growing number of cases for this exact defect. I will probably have to purchase the part at my own expense but don't feel I should have to since this is such a basic safety defect that could have deadly results to the driver and other innocent drivers in the vicinity of the affected Mazda RX8.

- Drums, PA, USA

Jul 262012

RX-8

At a stop light, I depressed my clutch pedal. I heard an audible snap and the clutch became unusable.

- Herndon, VA, USA

Jun 012012

RX-8

Clutch pedal assembly failure. Causing the pedal to shift inward towards the brake pedal.

- Austin, TX, USA

May 072012

RX-8

I was driving my car and when I went to depress the clutch pedal to shift up a gear the clutch pedal snapped. I can force the transmission into first and up, but I cannot get it into reverse.

- Clarksville, TN, USA

Apr 052011

RX-8 8-cyl

My clutch pedal was already replaced at 101,000 miles by another dealer part by Mazda that was suppose to be updated by Mazda because of so many clutch pedal brackets in the RX8's always breaking. Mazda even extended the warranty over 100,000 miles because it was becoming so common. The so called updated one they replaced, broke again, and it was new when it was put in. It lasted 50K miles and that's all. Im going on my 3rd clutch pedal assembly and Mazda will only cover the first breakage. I called Mazda corporate and they said that the replacement clutch only carries a part warranty of 30,000 miles. And that the clutch pedal assembly is a wear and tear item. Clutch pedals in every other car on the market last the lifetime of the car. And im going on 3 in this car alone. Mazda was suppose to have put an updated clutch pedal assembly in my car and they didn't. given, the work was done at Firestone because my car was the closest to that place because it was undrivable. But even if it was done at Mazda they still would have given me the same crappy warranty. Mazda says that the extended warranty only covers the first clutch pedal assembly replacement. The first one lasted longer than the second one! and the second one was suppose to be better. Come to find out. The Mazda dealer that sold Firestone the clutch assembly, sold them the old model one and charged me new pricing! my complaint to you is that since all of these RX8 owners are breaking their clutch still. Mazda is not holding onto their promise to fix clutch pedal issues. Is there any way you guys can force Mazda to cover the newer pedals that break too? I mean this whole thing is ridiculous.

- Zephyrhills, FL, USA

Apr 102012

RX-8

This is the 2nd time this has occurred. My clutch pedal snapped the first time and it was covered by a recall due to the clutch pedal bracket failing. I had it replaced on 11-11-08. The 2nd time it happened on 4-10-12. Luckily, I was at a stop light. I pushed in the clutch to go when the light turned green, heard a pop, and the vehicle would not move. The clutch pedal bracket snapped again. I contacted the Mazda dealership where I had it replaced the 1st time. They stated it was no longer covered and the recall had just recently expired. Now, I know the car is out of manufacturer warranty, but this is truly a safety issue. This is welded metal breaking. What would happen if you were driving on the interstate and this happened when you went to change gears and your clutch pedal assembly snaps? all of the sudden no acceleration dangerous.

- Alexandria, VA, USA

Mar 232012

RX-8

Clutch pedal bracket snapped while driving. Prevented car from going into gear and was left stranded.

- North Wildwood, NJ, USA

Jan 222012

RX-8

My husband drove me to the grocery store and we heard a loud pop. The car barely went into first gear and started grinding when it went into second. We barely made it home!! it stalled in the middle of us turning into our road and we almost got hit. When we looked at it after we( luckily) made it home. The entire clutch pedal moved and angled to the right when depressed and went back to regular position when we let go of it.

- Timmonsville, SC, USA

Jun 112011

RX-8

As my wife and I were driving home my clutch pedal stuck to the floor. I couldn't shift gears so I had to coast to the emergency lane.

- Louisville, KY, USA

May 202011

RX-8

1. clutch pedal assembly would make pop noise when being depressed and released. 2. clutch pedal bracket to firewall snapped causing clutch pedal to not return. Could not change gears or stop with car on. 3.had to replace with factory pedal (the same pedal that caused the problem).

- Clovis, CA, USA

Oct 282010

RX-8

I own a 2004 Mazda RX8 with manual transmission. I had my clutch pedal break while driving. I originally though of it as an isolated case due to a bad component. I had the clutch replaced at my own cost but this part has broken again today. While searching for common issues I have found quite a few other people reporting the same problem. This part broke while driving on a local road but this came with no warning. Had this happened on a busy street or the highway it may have been a different issue. This part seems to be of very poor quality as it has broken from the same place again.

- Chicago, IL, USA