2004 Mazda RX-8 fuel system problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments

Mar 242015

The clutch pedal assembly broke as I was driving in the freeway.

- Watsonville , CA, USA

Jun 012014

Vehicle had strong smell of raw gasoline fumes in the cabin and outside the car. Upon removing the rear seat to access the fuel pump for inspection, a pool of gasoline was found around the fuel pump and surrounding area to include the electrical wiring for the pump. It appears the leak occurs from a faulty plastic nipple on the fuel pump assembly that connects the pump to the main fuel line. A quick internet search uncovered this is not an isolated incident with the Mazda RX8. The fire and safety hazard associated with this issue is immense. I would recommend a further review by the NHTSA to assess the severity and spectrum of the fuel pump issue in the Mazda RX8.

- Hanford, CA, USA

Feb 062013

I purchased my 2004 automatic RX8 in September of 2011. It began giving me trouble with the type of gas it took. I finally figured out that bp premium seemed to keep it from "coughing". I thought that I had fixed the issues and it drove fine for a good while. I changed the oil religiously at about 3000 miles or less. It would display the oil light after only about 1500-2000miles. I had a dealership look at it and they said the oil level was fine and they didn't understand why it had the light on. The oil light now comes on at just 300miles into the last oil change. In Feb of this year is when the car started deteriorating at a rapid pace, and I was completely dumbfounded till I began doing some research and saw that many others have had the exact same issues I have had. For one- the ac never works correctly. I have to play with the knob for a bit to make it cool, and still even then it does not work. I am not able to drive it to and from the store now because I am worried it will not start back up. I always make sure the engine is warmed up and sometimes just leave it running instead of taking the chance of turning it off. The engine light also comes on and random times, and I was told that it was because the gas cap was not on tight enough. That is a lie, I always make sure to tighten it, and why would the engine light come on after the oil light everytime if it was human error. The car whines when at a stoplight or sitting for a brief period of time. It sounds as if it is coming from the front left side of the engine if you are sitting in it. No one knows what that noise is either. This faulty car should come with a warning on the front windshield. I am scared to drive it, I am scared to put my family in it, and I am disgusted with the way Mazda decided to treat me when I called them to inquire about certain recalls.

- Clemmons, NC, USA

May 232012

04 RX8 replaced maf coil packs plug wires 2 02 sensors selinoid shutter valve actuater main fuel line from front to back of tank the car will not stay running at first earlier on it died on many times an continued to get worse its been to shops no luck no help it never seemed to have gas now present pulled up back seat an found gas leaking is his a recall the shoe that did run a test stated he didnt think it was engine or transmission probably mechanical wheres is the fuel filters could that be an issue I try T O crank car it sounds bad like something is gonna fall out or down also was told if you clamp on sending unit that it may not work proper"???"

- Folsom, LA, USA