2004 Mazda RX-8 steering problems

Get notified about new defects, investigations, recalls & lawsuits for the 2004 Mazda RX-8:

2004 Mazda RX-8 Owner Comments (Page 4 of 4)

Jul 072008

I bought my 2004 Mazda RX8 from an authorized dealership in doral, fl with 53M miles on it, still under powertrain warranty & I purchased the extended warranty for 2 years.the car has been back to the dealership 8 times (that is averaging once a month) since purchase, back for various reasons including: Engine light on, coolant light on, and the most important and dangerous-locked power steering! of the 8 times, 4 of those are for the power steering locking on me, either when I start the car, or while driving, it's random that it happens, when it 'feels like it'. I can't trust this car, and though the service dept at the dealership has attempted to repair it numerous times, the problem has not subsided. The times that I start the car and the power steering is not locked, while driving the wheel becomes very loose, then the car shakes, then the steering locks. I have been lucky and have gotten safely out of traffic, but the wheel is very hard to turn, especially when driving at low speeds. I'm officially filing a complaint B/C it seems to be a manufacturing problem, and I want this issue resolved. I would prefer to have Mazda buy back the car from me, since, at this point, I don't feel safe in my car, especially to drive long distances. But if Mazda can repair the problem for good, I'll be satisfied. Thank you.

- Miami Beach, FL, USA

Aug 142007

Purchased used vehicle in April 2007, first incident 8/14/2007 engine stalled (engine internal failure) at 45,107 miles engine replaced by Mazda dealership. Second incident September 2007 power steering goes out (poor connection on engine room harness) connection fixed steering gear replaced; third incident October 2007, steering problem (steering shaft torque sensor malfunction) broken wire repaired--learned that the vehicle had been serviced 15 times prior to my purchase.

- Baton Rouge, LA, USA